Author Topic: Lyme Disease  (Read 3572 times)

fernman

• Veteran Member
Re: Lyme Disease
« Reply #15 on: 09:03:16, 10/09/18 »
O'Tom Tick Twister works best for me, you get two sizes, one of which deals with the small ones. But I find them fiddly to use; sometimes it takes me a few efforts to successfully get the fork under the tick so I can twist it out. As for the Tick Lasso, it only works with the biggest, easiest-to-get-at ticks; the loop simply won't go round any others, definitely not the small ones.

PS The thought of April taking her boots and socks off on the bus is not a nice way to start the day  :D

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 10:45:43, 10/09/18 »

PS The thought of April taking her boots and socks off on the bus is not a nice way to start the day  :D
But much better than the thought of Beefy's tick laden torso.
Too little, too late, too bad......

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 11:32:00, 10/09/18 »
This is the third time in 14 months I've had to remove a tick. The first time I didn't notice it until I'd been in the bath and then I pulled at it with my fingers before I realised it might be a tick. I wonder how many ticks we have all been bitten by and not noticed? They can be very small, the ticks we have had have all been less than 1mm. Beefy had 6 on his torso a few months ago and I almost missed them.

I find the NHS advice very reassuring and helpful.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/lyme-disease/

I recommend O'Tom tick twisters. They look like miniature crowbars and you slide them over the tick's head (as you would slide a claw hammer over the head of a nail), then twist a few times, before pulling off the tick. The twisting action makes the tick release it's grip - if you just pull them off, the head often becomes detached and you are left with their mouthparts embedded in your flesh. I've used these to take dozens of ticks off our dog and cat.

Highly recommended. As is your link  :) 

WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:25:27, 10/09/18 »
The thought of April taking her boots and socks off on the bus is not a nice way to start the day  :D

But much better than the thought of Beefy's tick laden torso.

;D

We have very similar tick removing tools, one small and one large but the ticks we've had recently have been too small for the little groove and they haven't worked, I might see if we can get an even smaller one, the thought of a tick head stuck in my skin is awful  :(
Hate will never win

Toxicbunny

« Reply #19 on: 12:51:24, 11/09/18 »
Ticks are everywhere in long grass. I live rural and took at least 3  off my dog every walk. I now have tick treatment on him every month.  You can buy tick spray I spray it on my ankles and legs when I walk my dog every night. I have a tick remover as the most important thing is to twist them out not pull. 

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 13:12:59, 11/09/18 »
Just a note for anyone who doesn't have the tick removal tool. If you are using tweezers you need to pull upwards and not twist.

See info in the link below
http://lymediseaseuk.com/2015/10/26/tick-removal/
Hate will never win

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 13:25:55, 11/09/18 »
Are dogs affected the same way as humans where infected ticks and Lyme disease is concerned?  :-\

Toxicbunny

« Reply #22 on: 13:41:18, 11/09/18 »
Are dogs affected the same way as humans where infected ticks and Lyme disease is concerned?  :-\

None of my dogs have ever been affected. My husband also picked up a tick on his arm. He didn't find it til the evening. Only a certain number of ticks carry Lyme disease.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 22:33:27, 11/09/18 »
True.  My dog used to pick them up all the time and he seemed okay.  Insofar as being ever so slightly bonkers was normal for him anyway.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 08:37:23, 12/09/18 »
Yes they get it and no, they are not affected in quite the same way.

Info here
https://uk.frontline.com/what-you-need-know-about-lyme-disease-and-dogs
Solvitur Ambulando

Toxicbunny

« Reply #25 on: 08:44:56, 12/09/18 »
Yes they get it and no, they are not affected in quite the same way.

Info here
https://uk.frontline.com/what-you-need-know-about-lyme-disease-and-dogs

It's a wonder sheep don't get it or deer as that's where ticks seem to thrive on.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 09:38:09, 12/09/18 »
Sheep are affected by tick bites as are deer. Seemingly lambs and fawns are particularly susceptible.

Ticks don't just carry the risk of Lymes they can carry other serious bacteria. In fact if they ingest bacteria of any sort from one sick animal they can pass it onto you. They are nature's way of needle sharing. Plenty of studies on ticks on the interweb. But probably it's only paranoid people like me that reads them.

Too little, too late, too bad......

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 09:40:39, 12/09/18 »

It's a wonder sheep don't get it or deer as that's where ticks seem to thrive on.

What Jimbob said. Here’s the science bit
https://www.moredun.org.uk/research/diseases/ticks-tickborne-diseases
Solvitur Ambulando

Steveandsam

« Reply #28 on: 12:15:32, 16/09/18 »
I've become more aware of the problem this year through press reports but I'm curious as to what exactly would be considered tic country.....are they mostly connected / more likely in close proximity with sheep grazing or basically anywhere ?. And all year round or mostly warmer weather ?.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 16:41:45, 16/09/18 »

Moors, parks, forests, woods, field margins etc - anywhere where there are significant numbers of deer.  For local information try:

http://www.bigtickproject.co.uk/ticks-in-the-uk/uk-tick-threat-map/

Adult ticks, which are approximately the size of sesame seeds, are most active from March to mid-May and from mid-August to November. Both nymphs and adults can transmit Lyme disease. Ticks can be active any time the temperature is above freezing.
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy