Author Topic: The Spine Race2018 - List of competitors  (Read 51862 times)

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: The Spine Race2018 - List of competitors
« Reply #585 on: 09:35:00, 21/01/18 »
im sure along with me there will be plenty of people who you will have inspired!
Amazed, impressed, entertained even but definitely not inspired to try it.
Did you see the interview with Phil Clarke at the end saying how slowly he had gone, this from a man who has just completed the Pennine Way in a week in January.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #586 on: 09:46:06, 21/01/18 »
I wouldn't attempt it in the summer over a week let alone winter, hats off to them all  O0
Where there's a will ...

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #587 on: 19:34:44, 21/01/18 »
I wouldn't attempt it in the summer over a week let alone winter, hats off to them all  O0

I have wondered (since I did it) about how long it would take me to walk it (not run) if I pushed myself and got someone to support me during an attempt. Walked it in 13 days.

Have you ever wondered how far you could walk in 24 hours if you had to and where you would attempt it? Certainly not the PW but maybe the Coast to Coast?
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #588 on: 10:49:34, 22/01/18 »
Did the LWW a few years ago in 15 hrs ie no real pack and in company. Was fairly weary at the end. Supported; no big pack and no rest days I reckon 9 or 10 days for the PW

forest view

« Reply #589 on: 12:06:55, 22/01/18 »
The final tally from CP 5.5   77 meals eaten by runners, safety team and medics. 26 pounds of Aberdeen angus beef, 3 packs of Quorn, 2 sacks of spuds, 1 sack of onions and 1 sack of carrotts. 4 packs of bacon and dozens of eggs. There was only one lady I couldn`t feed it was the last vegetarian through and we only had beef mince made and there was not time to defrost a veggie meal in time for her to eat it inside the 30 mins.  It beggars the imagination what the tally for CP1 would be as they have all of the starters from the challenger and the spine and with less time spread.
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #590 on: 12:46:02, 22/01/18 »
 :o :o :o O0
Where there's a will ...

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #591 on: 12:52:32, 22/01/18 »
The final tally from CP 5.5   77 meals eaten by runners, safety team and medics. 26 pounds of Aberdeen angus beef, 3 packs of Quorn, 2 sacks of spuds, 1 sack of onions and 1 sack of carrotts. 4 packs of bacon and dozens of eggs. There was only one lady I couldn`t feed it was the last vegetarian through and we only had beef mince made and there was not time to defrost a veggie meal in time for her to eat it inside the 30 mins.  It beggars the imagination what the tally for CP1 would be as they have all of the starters from the challenger and the spine and with less time spread.

That's impressive. Well done for all your hard work. You both deserve a medal. I'm sure is due to all your hard work they got to the finish.
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #592 on: 22:02:47, 22/01/18 »
well done guys.
btw, scrub that..10/11 days!

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #593 on: 19:14:00, 23/01/18 »
He wouldn`t have been carrying the necessary number of emergency  calories as per the mandatory list to exit the hut as required by the rules and the guys in the hut couldn`t have given him supplies to take away as this would have counted as outside support like we could feed the runners in the CP but not give them coffee sachets to take away.

The 3,000 minimum calories as per race rules, for consumption on the route (not retained) were to be carried form the start, CP 3 Middleton and CP5 Bellingham. Food/water etc given by Spine support teams on the route is not counted as outside support, also runners giving other runners support by way of food/water clothing etc is not counted as outside support and such support is in fact encouraged.

Slogger

• Veteran Member
« Reply #594 on: 19:18:51, 23/01/18 »
Jens Wackerhagen who reached hut2 then retired says that he ran short of food and lost a 600 calory bottle during a fall, which left him exhausted. He had to battle hard on low energy reserves and fight his way through sometimes waist deep snow, hallucinating badly,  to reach hut 2. He was wrapped in sleeping bags and gold foil where he slept for several hours. Its a bit confusing after that and it seems he retired upon reaching the hut. he states that upon waking he realised that he could have eaten in the hut and carried on to finish. However a photo of him being supported in the Border hotel in KY, gives the impression that that option was not really on.

It turns out that Jens can only consume Gluten Free food, which he had well run out of, and none was available at Hut 2, hemnce he couldn't eat there and continue on to the finish despite him feeling really good after a good sleep.

forest view

« Reply #595 on: 13:27:30, 26/01/18 »
Thats a shame I know exactly the guy you are talking about now.
www.forestviewbyrness.co.uk 
# 1 place to stay in Byrness (Tripadvisor)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy