Author Topic: Wild Camp near Ivybridge. November  (Read 1589 times)

Boudicca3

Wild Camp near Ivybridge. November
« on: 22:36:12, 11/10/19 »
I am planning a 4 night wild camp across Dartmoor in November. I plan to set out from Ivybridge and follow the Two Moors Way. On my first night I won't arrive in Ivybridge until 3pm. As it gets dark around 5 I'll need somewhere to wild camp pretty close to the first part of the Way. Does anyone have any ideas? I have never been to Dartmoor so don't know what to expect. I have done of lot of backpacking/hiking however: the Pennine Way, the West Highland Way so not concerned about the camp itself. Many thanks for any help on this topic.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Wild Camp near Ivybridge. November
« Reply #1 on: 16:08:43, 12/10/19 »
I had a similar problem to contend with a couple of months ago. I too started from Ivybridge, also a bit late in the day and just decided to start hiking. I had the benefit of longer hours of daylight which you won't have. Get off the train and turn right, once you get to the bridge, the left road drops down into Ivybridge, over the bridge to the right is the Two Moors Way. Within a mile, you will be on the moor proper, open land all around you and you will find many places to wild camp as I did. If you keep walking you will eventually come to a grassy hill (Butterdown Hill I think its called) directly in front of you, the track veers off to the left. If you prefer to camp higher up I think this will be your place for the night?

In my case, I kept going until I came to a stone marker (its marked as 'stone marker' on the OS map) which identified the Two Moors Way to the right, its quite a long way onwards, not good enough I would think to make the effort but you have to be the one to decide. Just before this point there is an old ruin and if necessary you could camp and shelter by the low stone walls but you may find a lot of sheep droppings everywhere. At this point, I walked on past for a few hundred yards, found a patch of flat grass and pitched my tent for the night. Windy overhead but I was in the shelter of tall grass. If by chance you do get to the stone (it will be difficult for you to make it in daylight I think) and follow the Two Moors Way route it soon drops down to a stone bridge, cross it and turn left until you come to a gate/stile, jump over a good flat spot there.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 16:13:50, 12/10/19 »
I've just had a look at the OS map on Bing Maps, I think it best if you ignore my second paragraph, it would be pitch black before you could make it to where I did. 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:22:52, 12/10/19 »
I'm not sure what it's like in November but when you start hiking the next day and drop down into Scorrington, the pub there was open and they served me with a full veggie breakfast. When you walk between Pondworthy and Jordon please keep your eyes open, if you find a pair of glasses, there're mine!   :) I didn't notice I lost them until I arrived in Widecombe. A few days out when you get to the London Inn the landlady let me camp in the garden for nothing. Good luck with the weather.

Monsoon

« Reply #4 on: 20:52:45, 12/10/19 »
May pay to stop the first night at Harford Bunkhouse and camping field then set off early the next morning.

Boudicca3

« Reply #5 on: 22:01:18, 12/10/19 »
Thank you so much for your replies gunwharfman especially!! Makes me wonder why I didn’t join this forum sooner (must admit to having ghosted on occasion though). To Monsoon - and am not sure how to reply to individual comment, where is Harford Bunkhouse (would take the field) and is that anywhere near the actual Way?

Monsoon

« Reply #6 on: 07:35:12, 13/10/19 »
You'll have to google it as the site doesn't allow external links.The postcode is PL21 0JG.Can't be more than 3/4 of a mile from the Two Moors Way path.

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 08:35:22, 13/10/19 »
Here's a link to Harford Bunkhouse. though not a wild camp,when I looked at the map I thought it would be ideal for a first night's guaranteed spot in case of bad weather/late train/darkness. It is open all year.

https://www.harfordbunkhouse.co.uk/
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 09:54:47, 13/10/19 »
I had a similar problem to contend with a couple of months ago. I too started from Ivybridge, also a bit late in the day and just decided to start hiking. I had the benefit of longer hours of daylight which you won't have. Get off the train and turn right, once you get to the bridge, the left road drops down into Ivybridge, over the bridge to the right is the Two Moors Way. Within a mile, you will be on the moor proper, open land all around you and you will find many places to wild camp as I did. If you keep walking you will eventually come to a grassy hill (Butterdown Hill I think its called) directly in front of you, the track veers off to the left. If you prefer to camp higher up I think this will be your place for the night?

This has to be one of the most precisely detailed and helpful replies that I have seen on this forum, gwm. O0
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy