Author Topic: First Time walking in Wales  (Read 4684 times)

Skinny Walker

First Time walking in Wales
« on: 16:53:28, 03/06/08 »
Guys,

I am considering a first walk in North Wales. I want to do two days, with wild camping. We aren't the fittest so maybe 7-8 miles per day and no more climb than say 2,000ft. Don't want any scrampling as we have 2 dogs. I know this is a bit specific but any help would be really appreaciated O0

It would be a real bonus if we could alo have an amazing view where we would camp as it may be my parners first wild camp and I want to make it special!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
Re: First Time walking in Wales
« Reply #1 on: 22:20:40, 03/06/08 »
These days I get a lot of inspiration for trips from the v-g backpacking website.  Take a peek at the reports and photos of the Welsh ones on
http://v-g.me.uk/TripsPhotos/TripsPhotos.htm
You might find something that ticks all your boxes.

Skinny Walker

« Reply #2 on: 11:37:45, 04/06/08 »
Thnaks for this, what a great web site!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 12:02:40, 09/06/08 »
You could try the southern section of the Rhinogs.   Start at Barmouth and get up on the ridge to the NE of the town.    Since it's mainly ridge walking, assuming the weather is good, you'll get good views for most of the walk (including the sea to the west).

In a couple of days you could get to Cwm Bychan, although once you get to the two Rhinog mountains (Fach and Fawr), the terrain starts to get a bit difficult.   You don't have to do the mountains however, and there's a path that turns into a road from between the two mountains that leads west to Llanbedr, and if you get to Cwm Bychan you can head west to Harlech.   There's a regular bus service that would get you back to Barmouth from either town if you needed to.

Unless your're feeling really fit, I wouldn't suggest going north of Cwm Bychan.

I'm thinking of doing this myself later in the summer, because although I've already done it before, it is a good walk.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy