Author Topic: Dog owners?  (Read 5503 times)

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
Re: Dog owners?
« Reply #45 on: 07:19:10, 03/05/19 »
I saw a report that in some areas of the USA authorities are performing DNA tests on dog excrement to identify offending parties.

I really hate dog mess and would support that here but some people might say the money would be better spent on schools or services for the disabled or homeless veterans, etc. Not me mind, I think leaving dogs mess should attract up to 6 months in prison. It should be treated on par with common assault, I'd rather get assaulted by a good deal of people (not someone "handy") than step in filthy dogs mess and have to clean it off my boots/trainers.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #46 on: 07:59:30, 03/05/19 »
I’m not sure about DNA testing dog poo, but I would certainly back stiffer fines for fouling. But prison and putting it on a par with assault? I’m sure someone will google an example or two to back up that argument  ::)  I don’t have all the answers, but continued education on tv and the media, plus maybe income based fines may help.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

Rob Goes Walking

• Veteran Member
« Reply #47 on: 08:13:46, 03/05/19 »
I’m not sure about DNA testing dog poo, but I would certainly back stiffer fines for fouling. But prison and putting it on a par with assault? I’m sure someone will google an example or two to back up that argument  ::)  I don’t have all the answers, but continued education on tv and the media, plus maybe income based fines may help.

No Google here, not even sure what I could back it up with, it's just my opinion based on how much I hate stepping in dogs mess. It really ruins my day and it's a selfish act you're unlikely to be caught for so with a minor penalty it's not worth bothering with if you've no sense of responsibility. On reflection maybe 6 months prison is overkill and income based fines (or 25-50 hours community service) is more reasonable.

phil1960

• Veteran Member
« Reply #48 on: 08:25:32, 03/05/19 »
I said “someone” Rob not you. But you are right, people are unlikely to get caught, as I said I don’t have all the answers, but as with most wrong doing, I don’t believe knee jerk reactions are the answer.
Touching from a distance, further all the time.

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #49 on: 09:10:57, 05/05/19 »
.. but as with most wrong doing, I don’t believe knee jerk reactions are the answer.

Agreed, phil.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

Jonathan1990

« Reply #50 on: 20:06:51, 27/05/19 »
I hate the fact that there are just too many signs in the UK telling people to clean dog excrement up and probably more getting erected every week somewhere, yet they get ignored.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #51 on: 22:24:50, 27/05/19 »
I hate the fact that there are just too many signs in the UK telling people to clean dog excrement up and probably more getting erected every week somewhere, yet they get ignored.

It's not signs needed, its more dog poo bins and regular collection.
I visited a NT park not long ago, where not one dog poo bins were available. When I asked a warden where the bin was, with a bag in hand, he said ”you need to take it with you” and so it went in the boot of my car.
......I didn't return.

I regularly carry a full poo bag a couple of miles, but not everyone will. More bins would help.
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #52 on: 09:22:02, 28/05/19 »
But who do dog owners' look to provide those bins, should they not the NT or hard pressed countryside access budgets. There is now a vast and far reaching industry behind the ownership of pets. It goes further than just the breeders of dogs, dogfood manufacturers must have massive turnovers, small vet practices have sprung up in their thousands over the the last 50 years, who are supplied by pharmaceutical companies, insurance companies target pet owners for additional premiums and even the pet charities are now big concerns. Pet pollution should be their concern, because just as we pollute and are being forced to realise that we must take individual and collective responsibility for it, so should the businesses that take profit from peoples natural desire to own and care for a dog.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy