Author Topic: OS paper maps out of date?  (Read 5997 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: OS paper maps out of date?
« Reply #15 on: 23:05:49, 26/09/19 »
I was on an Outward Bound course  in ‘66 running on a bearing on S Dartmoor and ended up in the Avon Dam Reservoir. My map was about 10 years old which was a shame as the dam was finished in ‘57.  Nothing like an unscheduled large body of water to spoil your confidence as a budding solo navigator.  :-\
Part of outward bound training was based at Cardinum.  Our two day trek  on Bodmin moor took us through the end of what is now Colliford lake. There was also the best asault course I ever had the pleasure of running at Cardnum too.  Over two miles long, with a rope slide accross the full length of the lake North West to South.  No discernable health and safety just simple wrist straps and hold on.  O0 

I witnessed the harsher side of training there too.  One young lad who's name I will never forget as a result, cracked and stopped on top of a slag heap. Our instructor trigger, went up to check him out.  Unfortunately the lad was past chatting and pulled a knife on trigger, who promptly kicked him most of the way down the slag heap.  The lad was dismissed the service a few days later.  Not how it should ever have been done, but as young lads we just excepted it back then.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 23:31:20, 26/09/19 »
I have used paper maps years out of date and found the main footpaths still relevant. Where they have changed, it has not been a major problem. Having said that, I have just rejoined the OS on line subscription service having given up on it years ago as too clunky. It seems a lot better now so I have high hopes of never getting lost again!

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 16:16:14, 27/09/19 »
I have used paper maps years out of date and found the main footpaths still relevant. Where they have changed, it has not been a major problem. Having said that, I have just rejoined the OS on line subscription service having given up on it years ago as too clunky. It seems a lot better now so I have high hopes of never getting lost again!
Famous last words and then he was never seen again. ;D

robrymond

« Reply #18 on: 20:29:08, 29/09/19 »
The 2.0 update is out on iOS and includes zoom down to a very detailed level. Sadly the Android version isn't rolling out to all devices yet.

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 21:16:37, 29/09/19 »
The 2.0 update is out on iOS and includes zoom down to a very detailed level. Sadly the Android version isn't rolling out to all devices yet.
It appears to be working ok on both of my Android phones here anyway... it certainly does zoom in more...not sure if that was needed though..detail was good enough already imho
A night under silnylon. Doesn't have the same ring to it.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 21:41:44, 29/09/19 »

Yes I got a text about that yesterday.   Mine can already zoom right in though.  Hard to see how any further zoom could improve things.  I am guessing the current version on iOS, is different.

Davidedgarjones

« Reply #21 on: 20:53:49, 04/10/19 »
Thanks to everyone who replied to my original posting.
It's clear from the OS website https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/blog/2011/07/how-often-do-we-update-our-paper-maps/ that updating of paper maps depends very much on commercial factors, in particular the popularity of particular sheets and their existing stocks of any sheet.
The OS is a business for which walkers are presumably only a small part of its market, given the extent of marketing digital products to commercial land and property owners

I think we can all agree that the OS mapping subscription service is excellent and is very good value. I plan all my walks on it and then mark up my paper map with the route (or print a copy). I don't rely on smartphone maps, but carry one as a backup.

The criticisms of the currency of paper maps, such as forests and deforestation, and the lack of fence boundaries now that walls are no longer being built in mountain and moorland areas, are, I suppose, something we have to live with.
On the issue of priorities for mapping I think that the footpaths on the ground (dotted lines) could be more prominent than the green-dashed ROWs, but I don't suppose there's any hope of making changes to long established graphics.
Dave

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 15:08:17, 10/10/19 »
Re: the OS mapping app....this thread is quiet, so am not trying to derail the original OP questions.

I noticed today on my walk that with the downloaded OS map on my phone you can now use 1;50k and zoom in without having to reset to the 1:25K mapping. It smoothly scrolls from 1:50k to the 1.25k map and even further in than before with really great detail. I didn`t think the extra detail was needed to be honest, when I first heard about it . It does give great detail though and stays sharp too. Really nice now..

There is another button showing on screen with the downloaded map tile, that slides the bottom window out of view completely....Nice...
The only problem I have now is the recentering button is not working , or the compass screen....Dooh :o >:(

Pitboot

« Reply #23 on: 15:14:06, 10/10/19 »
I was on an Outward Bound course  in ‘66 running on a bearing on S Dartmoor and ended up in the Avon Dam Reservoir. My map was about 10 years old which was a shame as the dam was finished in ‘57.  Nothing like an unscheduled large body of water to spoil your confidence as a budding solo navigator.  :-\

"A map is only accurate on the day it is made."

Army Cadet Force navigation manual.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 15:30:59, 10/10/19 »
Re: the OS mapping app....this thread is quiet, so am not trying to derail the original OP questions.

I noticed today on my walk that with the downloaded OS map on my phone you can now use 1;50k and zoom in without having to reset to the 1:25K mapping. It smoothly scrolls from 1:50k to the 1.25k map and even further in than before with really great detail. I didn`t think the extra detail was needed to be honest, when I first heard about it . It does give great detail though and stays sharp too. Really nice now..

There is another button showing on screen with the downloaded map tile, that slides the bottom window out of view completely....Nice...
The only problem I have now is the recentering button is not working , or the compass screen....Dooh :o >:(
  When you zoom the 25k map, there is no extra detail beyond that normally present at any magnification as far as I can tell.  The high zoom levels are useful for micro-navigation such as finding your way through farmyards or being on the right side of the hedge.  I did have a problem with the recentre and compass but that was cleared by a recent update.  My main criticism now is you cannot simultaneously follow a route and record a track - a feature that is available in both Garmin and ViewRanger.
For info: I am using OS Version 2.0.3.726 on a Samsung A50 running Android 9 patched to 1 Oct 19.  The last OS app patch was released this week.
Solvitur Ambulando

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 15:32:32, 10/10/19 »

I noticed since the update I now have access to the entire database too.  As if I paid a subscription.  The thing is I don't pay a subscription. I buy individual OS maps and down load the digital copy to my phone.  I hope OS are not planning to do away with the individual map digital down loads.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 15:42:51, 10/10/19 »
If buying a map gives you access to the whole database you are on a winner.  Best not to ask.  I went for the subscription option as it saves buying maps that would just clutter up my shelf as I do all my planning on screen.
Solvitur Ambulando

GnP

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 16:48:21, 10/10/19 »
If buying a map gives you access to the whole database you are on a winner.  Best not to ask.  I went for the subscription option as it saves buying maps that would just clutter up my shelf as I do all my planning on screen.
:D Oh  yes don`t say too much...

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #28 on: 17:07:28, 10/10/19 »

Still love a paper map.  At least with OS there are a finite number to buy for the set.  I really should take some of my old car magazines to the recycling bin though. Or get a larger study.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 17:51:13, 10/10/19 »

Still love a paper map. 
Yes, there is a pleasant nostalgic element to paper maps.  I used to read them sitting on the loo!
Solvitur Ambulando

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy