Author Topic: Cattle again...  (Read 6464 times)

Murphy

Cattle again...
« on: 13:09:29, 11/06/19 »
I said to myself that I wouldn’t post on this topic any more after some uncalled for comments last time on this topic but I guess it’s raised it’s head again as another young mum is airlifted at Capel Curig yesterday having been attacked while walking with her child. Suppose it acts as a reminder for us all to take care around cattle particularly as many have young at this time of year ....

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Cattle again...
« Reply #1 on: 13:59:58, 11/06/19 »
I did note, yet again, that dogs were involved. I am always very wary of cattle, I've had too many 'incidents' and I never ignore them!

strawy

« Reply #2 on: 17:14:27, 11/06/19 »
Everyone should take extra care around cattle,yes,they look like they dont give a damn,but one of them might just take a fancy to you.  
I dont walk with a dog but most incidents ive read about involve a dog walker.
Whenever i,m faced with a field of cattle i sum up the situation,can i detour ? walk round the edge ? can i leap over that fence if they approach me ?
I once passed a herd,they were not interested in me so i walked on,then i felt the earth rumble,looked behind & they were doing what i can only call as,the cattle aerobics,shat myself & i froze on the spot.
Lesson was learnt & ive never taken them for granted since.
I,ll talk to em from behind a fence,but avoidance is the best bet.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:15:54, 11/06/19 »
Never had had any problems with cattle on the moor.  Certainly not worried in any way by them.   On farm land it's a different story.  I have a theory that they get prodded and pushed around more on farm land, than on the moors.  Guess that makes some of them a bit more prone to be cranky, well you would.  Basic size also dictates that they are both bigger than me and quicker.  So always treat with respect.  One or two occasions when a herd has started to follow/ usher me off their patch, I have turned to face them and raised my arms.  They have always backed off.   O0

Owen

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:32:12, 11/06/19 »
One or two occasions when a herd has started to follow/ usher me off their patch, I have turned to face them and raised my arms.  They have always backed off.   O0

helps to talk to them as well, in a calm even tone.

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:43:31, 11/06/19 »
I'm very wary of cattle, especially after being charged, which happened just off the South Downs Way.  I usually find that cattle show no interest or, if they do follow me, are just curious or perhaps think I've got food for them.  But it's their unpredictability that's the trouble.

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:28:44, 11/06/19 »

helps to talk to them as well, in a calm even tone.
Oh yes, I agree.  To be honest I talk to all the animals I see out walking.  Well maybe not the Adders.

strawy

« Reply #7 on: 21:43:31, 11/06/19 »
Oh yes, I agree.  To be honest I talk to all the animals I see out walking.  Well maybe not the Adders.
Its "Dolittles Syndrome" I suffer from the same,bet you ask sheep "what you looking at"  ;D
« Last Edit: 21:51:01, 11/06/19 by strawy »

pleb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 10:16:54, 12/06/19 »
Its "Dolittles Syndrome" I suffer from the same,bet you ask sheep "what you looking at"  ;D
Shouldn't that be "What ewe  looking at?"
Whinging Moaning Old Fart

strawy

« Reply #9 on: 11:24:46, 12/06/19 »
Shouldn't that be "What ewe  looking at?"
Correct...Thank Ewe  O0

fit old bird

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 12:08:41, 12/06/19 »
   So always treat with respect.  One or two occasions when a herd has started to follow/ usher me off their patch, I have turned to face them and raised my arms.  They have always backed off.   O0

Same here, turn to face them, talk to them, and they stop dead in their tracks, usually. They do for me anyway.

By the way, the Daily Fail says it was a grandma of 49 with her young granddaughter of 8, and she is an experienced walker. Also said she had lost one of her dogs. She would be flattered to be called a young mum.

ilona

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:27:50, 12/06/19 »
Until you have had a previous unsettling encounter with either Cows or Horses, i always give them a wide birth, as they can be so unpredictable.

I even go out of my way, to find another route to avoid coming into contact with them, simply because i know i could not out run them in a dangerous situation.

I also know that in the past, if i had stopped in my tracks and faced them head on, i would not be here today.

Many years ago, i had to cross a field full of young bullocks, and they were in such a frisky excited mood, that if i had been foolish enough to stand my ground, they would have trampled all over me.

To this day, i still do not know what made them gallop at speed towards me, and as i entered the field, they were a considerable distance away, but i aroused their curiosity, and they went ballistic.

Cows with young calfs, young Bullocks, and Horses all need due respect, and if one just enters a field or area of land with crazing cattle, do not startle them, or make any unnecessary noise.

Usually they just acknowledge your presence, and go on eating or minding their own business.

If you alarm them, or allow your pet dog to bark annoyingly at them, then there is a possibility of distressing them, with the inevitable consequences.
« Last Edit: 12:34:33, 12/06/19 by Dyffryn Ardudwy »

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:38:42, 12/06/19 »
Never had had any problems with cattle on the moor.  Certainly not worried in any way by them.   On farm land it's a different story.  I have a theory that they get prodded and pushed around more on farm land, than on the moors.  Guess that makes some of them a bit more prone to be cranky, well you would.  Basic size also dictates that they are both bigger than me and quicker.  So always treat with respect.  One or two occasions when a herd has started to follow/ usher me off their patch, I have turned to face them and raised my arms.  They have always backed off.   O0
  Likewise, if I have trouble I turn and face them down.  Some of them (youngsters mostly) like to get very close so a degree of firmness is required.  The problem comes when they keep trying to get behind you - then you need eyes everywhere.
Solvitur Ambulando

richardh1905

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 13:04:32, 12/06/19 »
No way would I go into a field of cows with my dog - just asking for trouble.
WildAboutWalking - Join me on my walks through the wilder parts of Britain

tyreon

« Reply #14 on: 10:20:32, 16/06/19 »

Anyone remember the old(e) Hollywood films of the Wild West wherein cattle stampedes could occur? From (dysfunctional?)memory these stampedes could be caused by the slightest of things...rather like horses can get rattled and start off by a glimpse of something out of the corner of their eye. The cattle seemed easily spooked. Interpreting domestic cattle as more docile than aggressive,I wonder if any more threatening cattle might turn tail and run t'other way if any walker turned about,raised both arms,shouted,then marched towards them with a very loud car air horn as a means of defence.

I haven't tried this.

Any one else?

I don't think I have the legs to  out-run cattle theseadays. I was always wary/frit of them in my younger years. Nowadays people offer me seats on buses when the bus is full,so I am always on the lookout for any ways I can cross fields safely.Some fields are still as large that you cannot see across them as in they have a brow. Half way across a field,and at the top,you then discover the next half of the field contains cattle...and they have seen you!! And then they begin to get interested in you!

Any practical or humorous replies greatly appreciated excepting Bear Grylls.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy