Author Topic: resealable gas canisters  (Read 5222 times)

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
resealable gas canisters
« on: 13:34:05, 11/03/08 »
do all makes/manufacturers use the same thread pattern, i.e. can I buy a Coleman stove and use Camping Gaz canisters and vice cersa ?
Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: resealable gas canisters
« Reply #1 on: 14:43:22, 11/03/08 »
I think you can use Coleman fuel with pretty much any  gas backpacking stove except a camping gaz stove- and other fuel cartridges except camping gaz with coleman stoves.

Ive certainly used coleman fuel with my primus and primus fuel with a coleman stove.  I usually use coleman fuel because its the easiest to get hold of - and Ive not had a problem so far.

Users of other stoves (e.g. the jetboilers) will, no doubt confirm or otherwise that they can use coleman cartridges.
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:28:48, 11/03/08 »
thanks Mike.

I am cycling Lejog in April / May, and I am looking for a lightweight alternative for my Coleman Peak One..... if it was a solo ride, I'd go for a JetBoil, but there are two of us, and the common gear is to be split 50/50.

I was looking at the Vaude "Markill" burner. Any experience of this type of kit ?
Courage doesn't always roar like a lion. Sometimes courage is a small voice at the end of a long hard day saying "I'll try again tomorrow".

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 15:50:27, 11/03/08 »
Ive not had any experience of that type of stove - looks quite handy, though.
I reckon it should be a useful bit of kit.
My primus has a pietzo ignition system, like the one you're thinking about and its been very reliable - and its getting quite old now. The only time it didnt work was when it got dripped on.  I take a little plastic fag lighter as well, just in case the ignition system breaks.

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 15:58:12, 11/03/08 »
I'll probably get the Vaude....I had an unnerving experience over the weekend when my Coleman (which must be nearly 20 years old now - and still going strong) flared up during lighting with unleaded petrol and burned the hairs off the backs of both of my hands !!! :buck2:

With discretion the better part of not wanting to die in a freak tent/stove related fireball tragedy, I think it is time for a replacement !!

I haven't even done the LEJOG trip yet, but I must be up to about £1000 already just in preparing..... !!!

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:05:30, 12/03/08 »
do all makes/manufacturers use the same thread pattern, i.e. can I buy a Coleman stove and use Camping Gaz canisters and vice cersa ?

Hi, Legs-O-Lead (what a great tag, I know just how you feel!) to return to your original query, yes, all manufacturers use the same thread pattern, and in most cases you should be OK.

However, just a few years back I bought a Snow Peak Gigapower stove and a lantern, which are exclusive to Snow + Rock.  The blurb which came with the items stated that only Snow Peak gas cartridges should be used. I assumed this was just marketing hype, but the sales assistant informed me that the pin in the base of a stove or lantern, where it screws onto the cartridge, can vary in length between one make and another. (I assume it pushes down something like a ball valve in the cartridge?)

With this in mind, I consciously try and stick to Snow Peak cartridges, but more often than not, Snow + Rock don't have any in stock when I want them (as a result of which I've gone right off them) so I end up buying some other brand, and a couple of times I've found that these can leak slightly unless I give the stove or lantern an extra tighten.

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 15:53:15, 29/05/08 »
Well here's an update on my stove disaster I wrote about in this post a few weeks ago....

Last weekend, I managed to ruin my Trangia (Swedish Army one) when the sealing ring fell out of the lid and into the middle of the lit burner. It was interesting to see the result... flames about a foot high, and a whooshing sizzling sound.

After that, I thought I would dig out my old faithful Coleman Peak One. On filling, it developed an air-lock, and so flooded fuel out over itself and onto me and the table, and floor. Great. :(

Then, when I tried to light it, I couldn't get any pressure in it. After watching it sputter and fart for a few minutes, I thought I'd give it a few strokes on the pump...... when I had given it about 5 or 6 thrusts, a squirt of fuel came out of the centre hole of the pump, spread up my arm, and promptly ignited........ I was lucky to get away with the loss of some hair..... :P

Is it me, or does everyone have one of these days now and again ??

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:32:32, 29/05/08 »
Now and again? Every day, mate, every day, especially when I was working as a service engineer. I could tell you many lurid tales about flooding customers' homes, wrecking their kitchens, breaking windows, electrocuting the cat, etc, but this isn't the place for that.
Your stove sounds like the old Primus I started off with. I used to have to fill a little circular trough with methylated spirits and light that, to pre-heat it. Then, just before the last flames flickered out, you pumped it a few times, and if you were lucky you ended up with a nice powerful burner looking like a British Gas advert.
If you weren't quick enough, the meths used to go out before it ignited the burner, and you'd have just a big hissing noise and the stink of paraffin. On the really bad days, though, it would go wooomph! and you'd get a big yellow flame about a foot high. It's nothing short of a miracle that I never set fire to my flysheet.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 18:21:47, 29/05/08 »
I used to have one of those primus parafin stoves with the meths gel - brilliant in very cold weather, but  I had one reignite itself once and another was just a ball of flame when I threw it across a campsite..  I think I've had the "big yellow flame" a bit higher than a foot!

I've had similar problems with exploding carbide lamps - the main difference being that the lamp is mounted on your head when it goes off! Certainly cheers up your mates...

Never a dull moment with a primus....  (Ive got a gas one now which is excellent - Ive had it for about five years and the pietzo igniter has just started to fail on random occasions - so I just use a cheapo lighter...)

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 08:13:04, 30/05/08 »
Ah, so it isn't just me then  ;D

The thing is, I am worried I am getting more like my father...... about 20 years ago, he got a paraffin stove to take fishing. It was about £3 in a car-boot sale, so I didn't expect much. It was one of the square ones with the fuel tank in  the front, and a lid that folded backward to make a windshield. As expected, he couldn't get it to work, so brought it up to my house for me to look at too.

My brother in law had said to him that he needed to pre-heat it with meths, but the Old Man was a bit deaf, and he filledit with meths instead. I have this vivid memory of watching my Dad from behind, pumping furiously on the thing to build up some pressure, and then seeing his body backlit by the whoosh of flame that accompanied the lighting...... oh, yes, and seeing his head completely engulfed in a bright yellow fire-ball that must have gone 6 feet inthe air!!! He was lucky to get away with just losing his eye-brows !  ;D ;D

His only comment was "balls !".....

He's dead now, but whenever I remember that incident, I nearly cry laughing !!!

Silly old sod.

Snowman

« Reply #10 on: 13:00:49, 31/05/08 »
I have a Coleman stove and gas lamp, so want resealable canisters so I can switch from cooking to light.   I also do a fair bit of trekking abroad, sometimes where resealable cartridges aren't available.

Some time back, Coleman were producing a resealable adapter, which you insert an ordinary cartridge into to make it resealable.    I know for a fact you can put just about anything into it, because I've been to places where the only canisters available didn't even have a name.

It also has the advantage that non-resealable cartridges are significantly cheaper than resealable ones, so the cost of the adapter is very quickly recovered.

S.

titaniumdude

« Reply #11 on: 22:35:29, 02/06/08 »

However, just a few years back I bought a Snow Peak Gigapower stove and a lantern, which are exclusive to Snow + Rock.  The blurb which came with the items stated that only Snow Peak gas cartridges should be used. I assumed this was just marketing hype, but the sales assistant informed me that the pin in the base of a stove or lantern, where it screws onto the cartridge, can vary in length between one make and another. (I assume it pushes down something like a ball valve in the cartridge?)

I bought one of those pocket rocket things for the GF and thought I had a faulty one 'cos a Coleman cartridge didn't work with it.  Took the thing apart, cleaned the valve and it still didn't work so I tried the cartridge on a nother stove and You guessed it, it was fine.  So Now I'm sure to check the canister with the stove before taking it into the hills.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

legs-o-lead

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 11:19:12, 03/06/08 »
I had a similar problem with Coleman resealable cartridges a fw weeks ago... according to the guy at the Tiso shop in Glasgow though, there was a duff batch with the valve spigot on the cartridge set too low in the threaded bit to activate whent he stove is screwed into it.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy