Author Topic: Best way to lose weight and gain mussle for big hike  (Read 8276 times)

jude

Re: Best way to lose weight and gain mussle for big hike
« Reply #15 on: 10:52:27, 11/04/08 »
To add to whats just been mentioned ,  I used to get tight tendons and stiff muscles after a big walk on rough terrain.  I have been practicing yoga for about 16 months now and the improvement is noticeable, not just in being more supple but in balance and coordination,  plus yoga helps mental functioning - map reading and clear thinking .  O0 ;) hope that helps

muymalestado

« Reply #16 on: 12:46:22, 11/04/08 »
Good to see diets being panned and exercise extolled - remember the book 'Dieting Makes You Fat' , so it does.
I think this next one will be the top ...

CoCo

« Reply #17 on: 13:21:40, 11/04/08 »
Thanks all keep it coming

kkm

« Reply #18 on: 17:15:52, 11/04/08 »
just re-iterating whats alraedy been said really. i managed to lose over half a stone and mr kkm lost a good stone in weight in ten days last year when doing the pw. we ate loads as well.

in fact, we thought about advertising it as a new slimming aid "loose weight the penine way - eat all you want, but walk 15 miles a day"..................................

trouble is i'm really struggling to loose weight again at the moment - not that i put back on the weight i lost, but i've still got more to go. a weeks walking holiday would soon sort it out....... ::)

CoCo

« Reply #19 on: 18:21:01, 11/04/08 »
Well im going away for two weeks climbing Ben so i hope i will lose some ow by the way what is PW ???

just re-iterating whats alraedy been said really. i managed to lose over half a stone and mr kkm lost a good stone in weight in ten days last year when doing the pw. we ate loads as well.

kkm

« Reply #20 on: 21:17:39, 11/04/08 »
pw = pennine way........my bad - getting as bad as the teen for using abbreviations...... ;D

CoCo

« Reply #21 on: 02:27:59, 15/04/08 »
no trouble dude thanks hope you had a cool weekend  O0

thisismusic

« Reply #22 on: 12:35:14, 15/04/08 »
Thought I'd add my two penneth, as I'm kind of in the same boat!

I'm preparing for my first LDW (Ridgeway) and to get myself to a decent level of fitness, I've done the following:

Healthy balanced meals, no snacking except on fresh fruit, but Friday night is treat night!

I walk home from work once a week (13-15 miles depending on my route) and go on a hike every sunday of about 15 miles. A waterproof OS custom map of your local area comes in very handy here. When I do those two walks, I tend to fill my backpack as much as I can with unnecessary weight, so I get used to carrying it and it helps strengthen my muscles, in preparation for all the weight I'll be carrying on the Ridgeway.

In the last 4 months I've lost close to 3 stone, and have developed leg muscles that could probably deflect bullets, so it seems to be working pretty well! Also, on the days when I walk the 13-15 miles home from work, I don't need to feel too guilty about having an oggy's pastie for lunch :)

Changing little routines can help too - when you do your weekly shop, leave the car at home and walk to the supermarket if possible and load all your shopping up in a suitably sized rucksack.

I hope some of that is useful!
“It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty" - David Attenborough

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #23 on: 12:40:25, 15/04/08 »
All good tips but it would take me 2 days to walk the supermarket and back!  I suppose carrying the tent as well the shopping would have added training value;) In all seriousness anything you can do to get out of the car is going to help. Good effort mate.

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

thisismusic

« Reply #24 on: 12:52:19, 15/04/08 »
Ok, so a 2 day trek to get to the supermarket and back might be a bit much!

You could always bus it some of the way and walk the last few miles home. I suppose that sort of thing is going to depend a lot on where you live and what the public transport system is like though. Fortunately I have a convenient drop off point about 4 or 5 miles from home which involves a walk along a dismantled railway through some nice farmland  :)
“It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty" - David Attenborough

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 12:59:03, 15/04/08 »
yeah maybe living in the sticks has its downside . but if i step out the door i have the choice of a dozen Munros within walking distance so there are upsides to living in the highlands:D
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

thisismusic

« Reply #26 on: 13:40:45, 15/04/08 »
I'm thoroughly envious now! I love hiking around where I live, but it is very, very flat. I'm planning a wilderness camp in the Highlands next year - too much on this year to fit it in and just getting there is going to cost a fortune!

Skinny Walker

« Reply #27 on: 15:02:48, 15/04/08 »
Also try eating slow burn foods, Porridge, veg anything not processed really. Will keep you full longer.
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

CoCo

« Reply #28 on: 16:28:08, 15/04/08 »
cool thanks chubby walker i didnt think of that  O0
Ow and ian s i hate you to! lol i wish i had munros near by all i have is a park and not a very good one at that.  the closest thing to me is the Brecon Beacons  O0

Dazza

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 23:43:01, 15/04/08 »
Myself I joined my local leisure centre gym, no joining fee and not expensive really. So may be worth a look?

Dazza
--------
These boots were made for walking so that's just what I'll do. After I've re-proofed them of course...

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy