Author Topic: Food  (Read 8402 times)

ogy

Food
« on: 21:16:34, 11/04/08 »
So whats everybodys preferred food when on a ldw which includes night stays.

For me I'll take tinned beans with sausages, just cook them in the tin
Cuppa soups
Choc bars
Some porridge ready mixed with dry milk and sugar for brekkie
Nuts
Energy bars

I've only done one nighters though and will have to pack much more when doing some practise walks for the cleveland.
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Deerplay

Re: Food
« Reply #1 on: 00:30:12, 12/04/08 »
I'm sure we had a similar thread a while ago, so maybe look for that. My usual is pasta and whatever (cheese, tuna, chilli) you can comfortably carry.
Will this wind be so mighty as to lay low the mountains of the Earth?

ogy

« Reply #2 on: 05:56:05, 12/04/08 »
I did do a quick search but couldn't find much, I'll have another nosey

Do you mean some dried pasta?? I'll be doing the walk september so it'll hopefully be warm (ish) so I need things that will keep fresh

I tend to find my food gets a big weighty and thats only for one day, pretty hard to imagine what to carry for a few days
There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Snowman

« Reply #3 on: 11:20:42, 12/04/08 »
I did do a quick search but couldn't find much, I'll have another nosey

It was one of mine called 'Trail Cuisine'.    Quite a few people posted so there's plenty of ideas.   Last post was back in September last year.

One thing I have found though is Asda do some pasta meals in packets that require only water to rehydrate.    Most of the others require milk as well.    They are actually quite tasty, although they've started doing a 'healthy living' range which means reduced salt (and reduced taste).    Since I sweat a lot I don't feel averse to upping the salt content a bit myself.

S.

Faraway

« Reply #4 on: 13:12:21, 12/04/08 »
Something that has worked well for me was to fry some plain mince in a pan (at home) - no salt, pepper or onion etc at this stage - until cooked.  When done, spread thinly on a plate and microwave on low for about 20 minutes.  This "dehydrates" and dries it out.  Just put into a packet to take with you, it keeps very well over a 5 day hike.  I make a tomato and onion mix at home and then just re-heat the two on the trail.  Very nice

Mr Sam

« Reply #5 on: 15:13:24, 12/04/08 »
Ive only ever eaten pasta on my walks.
However Nan bread and bacon isn't that good a breakfast.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

ogy

« Reply #6 on: 19:34:49, 12/04/08 »
Cheers snowman did you ever get around to buying a de-hydrator???

The link for the thread for any other newbie is http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,352.18.html

Blisters pepparami is a good one I'd not thought of

Faraway, cheers mate, very good tip, I'll experiment with that one.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 21:07:35, 12/04/08 »
My "menu", pasted from the Equipment page of my web site:

Meals per day while walking:
Breakfast:  1/2 pint energy drink (from powder), 3oz muesli with mixed in sugar, 1/2 pint milk (from
          powder), 1/2 pint black coffer with sweetener.
Lunch:  Cup-a-Soup, energy bar, 2/3 Yorkie bar.
Dinner:  1/2 pint energy drink, freeze-dried dinner pack, energy bar.
Supper:  remainder of Yorkie bar.
Additionally, I drink at least 3.5 pints of water during the day.

More in the following post, cos I can only paste one bit at a time!

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 21:08:47, 12/04/08 »
And this is a list of the quantities I carry:

Food carried for 4 - 4.5 days [for 3 - 3.5 days in italics]:
Powdered energy drink:  carry enough for 8 drinks [6 drinks].
Muesli:  carry 12 oz [9 oz] with a little sugar mixed in.
Powdered milk:  carry enough for 4 x 1/2 pint [3 x 1/2 pint].
Coffee:  fill a 35mm film pot.
Sweetener:  12 tablets for 4 mugs of coffee [9 tablets for 3 mugs], carry in a tiny plastic pill box.
Cup-a-Soup:  5 [4] packets.
Energy bar:   9 [7] bars.
Yorkie bar:  5 [4] bars.
Freeze-dried dinner:  4 [3] packs.
Glucose tablets:  1.5 - 2 [1 - 1..5] tubes.
Pack muesli, powdered drink & milk in plastic bags secured with tiewraps, & each in a 2nd bag for security.
Pack a spare plastic bag & tiewrap for empty packets & wrappers.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 21:26:53, 12/04/08 »
Dang! The italics didn't come up, did they?  Never mind, it was the bits in brackets, should be obvious enough.
The powdered energy drink is Boots Isotronic, tastes quite nice as well as allegedly helping your hydration. They used to sell it in individual sachets, now you can only buy a tub of it.  I spoon as much as I want into a little plastic bag [little freezer bags are ideal], so it's not much to carry, and what I leave at home in the tub keeps for the next trip.  Boots also do a nice range of energy bars and the like.
Every supermarket sells powdered milk, which isn't milk really, it's a load of chemicals, but it looks and tastes about the same.  Again, I measure out what I will need and put it in a little bag.
Not everyone gets on with muesli.  The trick is to mix it up in the milk and et it soak for as long as possible before you eat it.
The freeze dried dinners are Reiter. They're not that wonderful [I still mourn the passing of Raven Outdoor Cuisine - anyone remember them?], but I still find a hot pack of Reiter satisfying in the evening after a day's walking. There are other ones branded Wayfarer, but they're much bigger meals [made for big Americans], dearer and heavier. I don't like messing about boiling things, either, uses more gas for a start. Just to pour on a bit of boiling water is all I want to do.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:11:34, 13/04/08 »
 Neck of mutton,leg of lamb.Sheep are plentiful in the hills and you don't have to carry them.;D

Being serious though, I find the best thing to do is make use of local shops,you can always find one every couple of days, and tinned food is far more pleasant than some of these dried pasta meals.

I remember Raven meals all too well.On my first walk I took a weeks supply,got a bit boring after a couple of days,but some of them were okay.Another dried meal that has disapeared is "hera" pastas and curries.They were far better than Raven and also cheaper.

Mr Sam

« Reply #11 on: 08:25:36, 13/04/08 »
Powdered milk is awful.
I would eat the museli with water to not use it.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

summerfield

« Reply #12 on: 14:37:26, 14/04/08 »
I remember the good old Raven foods , made thge tent smell umm rather pongy after a few days, didn't realise that they were no longer available.
as for the musili a friend introduced me to the idea of combining your morning drink with cereal so rather than use milk or just water try adding your cup of Tea ( not sure about coffee) as this tastes ok(ish) and it soffens the cereal and the added bonus of not needing to wash the cup out.
support mountain rescue - get lost

Skinny Walker

« Reply #13 on: 14:41:35, 15/04/08 »
OMG Museli in Tea? That sounds disgusting!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

ogy

« Reply #14 on: 14:47:30, 15/04/08 »
I read a good article on deserts for people that just can't do without when out backpacking.
Powdered custard or Angel delight with tinned fruit layered over a flatjack
Personally..... Can't beat a mars bar O0

Ogy

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy