Author Topic: Water Purification  (Read 1592 times)

thisismusic

Water Purification
« on: 12:40:19, 14/04/08 »
I could do with some tips on water purification - what exactly should I be buying? I'm walking the ridgeway in about 5 weeks time, and I plan to refill my water container(s) at the various watering points when I can't get to a nearby town to visit the shops.

Thanks!
“It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty" - David Attenborough

Ian s

• Veteran Member
Re: Water Purification
« Reply #1 on: 12:52:47, 14/04/08 »
Iodine crystals is probably the cheapest soution but can be a problem if you lose it long term (1month+) and if you have thyroid problems. Some people find it a faff cos you have to keep a saturated solution and keep it topped up. Not a problem once you get used to the routine. Taints the water, add fruit crystals  if drinking it neat and you don't like the taste.

Stereotabs or whatever (silver, basically) is easy but not 100% effective. Again, taints the water.

Filters dont impart a taste, but then they're not 100% effective unless impregnated with iodine or such like. They cost money, usually a lot! You have to carry them.

Boiling is good, but dear on time +fuel.

Avoiding water and opting for beer is best! O0

Take your pick!

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

Snowman

« Reply #2 on: 14:33:50, 14/04/08 »
There was a thread on this not too long ago.    If you look back for 'Steripen water purifier' (or similar).

Personally, I can't stand Iodinised water.    I've tried using neutralising tablets with Iodine to get rid of the taste, but it didn't work.    I find the major problem is that because you come to dread drinking, you don't so you get dehydrated.

Having said that, The Ridgeway isn't exactly the wildest of LDPs is it?    I'd be surprised if you had to walk so far between potential water sources that  you'd need purification, and knowing the Chilterns well, you'd probably find it easier to get water by stopping at the local pubs for a pint, and filling up while you're there.    There's also plenty of farms on/near the route and I don't suppose they'd be too annoyed if you asked if you could use their outside tap.

S.

titaniumdude

« Reply #3 on: 21:17:46, 23/04/08 »
Agreed.  Iodine sucks.  Purification wise chlorine tabs are ok for most of GB and the neutralising tabs work well with these.  Having said that the water supplies 'laid on' along the Ridgeway are clean already.  Apart from using these, you will be passing close to towns and indeed through them, so top up with bottled water at these.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy