Author Topic: The Hundred  (Read 3282 times)

tonyk

• Veteran Member
The Hundred
« on: 16:15:24, 04/05/08 »
 I am referring to the notorious LDWA 100,a one hundred mile route that has to be completed within 48 hours without a proper break,held every spring bank holiday weekend.I have only done one,the 1985 Yorkshire Dales 100 which was a real killer taking in Penyghent,Horsehead Pass, and Ingleborough in the first twenty miles.Wild boar fell came at the fifty miles point(interestingly a lot of people quit at this point) followed by Cote Fell at eighty two miles.This last climb as a pig and it left me wondering if the organiser was a sadist.Memories are very blurred but I can recall feeling that my knees were being crushed in a vice at the seventy five miles point,the pain was that bad.Strangely I picked up and felt full of energy once I had got past ninety miles and managed to run at six minute mile pace over the last two miles. :o After I had signed in three guys carried me into the showers as I was unable to walk.Think it was to do with relaxing and the body knowing it hadn't got to push itself any further.My time of just under twenty seven hours wasn't bad and it put me in the top twenty.The effects of sleep deprivation and constant movement for more than 24 hours were terrible and it took a couple of weeks to fully recover.

I would encourage anyone to have a go as you don't really know what you are capable of until you try.This hundred is within the capacity of most walkers provided they enter it fully prepared,both physically and mentally.
« Last Edit: 16:18:20, 04/05/08 by tonyk »

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: The Hundred
« Reply #1 on: 23:21:30, 04/05/08 »
Its all in the mind!  This sort of thing is largely about determination. I'm afraid that my determination would expire long before 100 miles - the sight of the looming lump of Wild Boar Fell would probably do for me as well, I suspect.

Those forum members having a go at the Yorkshire 3 Peaks later this year may well notice similar "challenges" to their morale  and determination when faced with climbing over the huge bulk of Ingleborough from Chapel le dale.  It looks a right big [censored] from there - but luckily, its not really as big as it looks.....

Nobody could argue that completing 100 miles in one go isnt a remarkable feat, though.
It'd certainly save on accomodation on most LDP's as well!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

wellerchap

« Reply #2 on: 00:07:12, 06/05/08 »
Those forum members having a go at the Yorkshire 3 Peaks later this year may well notice similar "challenges" to their morale  and determination when faced with climbing over the huge bulk of Ingleborough from Chapel le dale.  It looks a right big [censored] from there - but luckily, its not really as big as it looks.....

I'll ermm, hold you to that !  ;D

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:18:57, 06/05/08 »
I'll ermm, hold you to that !  ;D

....its much, much bigger....... ;D

Only joking......
 ???

Or am I? :-\ :-\
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

andybeck

« Reply #4 on: 09:42:33, 06/05/08 »
By pure co-incidence, my only experience of the 100 was in that same year '85 in the Dales. There were four of us in our party but because of fitness differences we soon seperated. None of us had taken part in such an event before even though we were keen Hill-walkers and none of us had undertaken any sort of distance training. We all dropped out before the end, I think I was first to go at 40 miles at Hardraw and JC got as far as 82 miles. if I were to attempt such an event again, (unlikely) then training would be the key.
Andy

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:55:37, 06/05/08 »
Andy, welcome to the forum.

Its all in the mind! 

It's not all in the mind, some of it is in the knees!!

tonyk or Andy, is it a laid out course that you follow or do you have to map read as well?

andybeck

« Reply #6 on: 10:16:50, 06/05/08 »
If I recall you are given the route when you register. A map and compass and the appropriate skills are required but with so many people on the challenge tramping the same paths it would be pretty difficult to get lost. Perhaps there is more info on the LDWA website.
Andy

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:29:23, 06/05/08 »

tonyk or Andy, is it a laid out course that you follow or do you have to map read as well?

The route is marked out on a map and you have to find your own way,no waymarkers,just checkpoints every five to eight miles.As Andy says,you just follow the other walkers but navigation was bit difficult during the night.

Andy,like myself, you picked a bad year,the course had been made difficult on purpose,perhaps to reflect the hard man image of the organising group(West Yorks).The drop out rate was around 70% and it included some very experienced people.Other courses have been far easier with more finishers than retirements.Rain for the first fifteen hours didn't help either.Training is the key.The fitter you are the more chance you will have of completing it,but that could apply to any walk,including long distance trails.

andybeck

« Reply #8 on: 12:48:54, 06/05/08 »
Tony,
This thread has inspired me, not to attempt the 100 again but to dig out the old route map and photos :). I do recall that I was still pretty pleased at clocking up 40 miles by 10 pm on day one.
Andy

titaniumdude

« Reply #9 on: 23:21:48, 06/05/08 »
Sounds interesting.  Don't think I'll be attempting this mind.  Think I may have missed my fitness window for such things.  Don't think I would've actually enjoyed it at the peak of my fitness.  Don't do challenges as 'challenges'.  If it's an interesting route and manageable within my normal gameplan (which usually involves stopping and cooking on long routes) then the jobs a good 'un.  As for the Yorkshire 3 Peaks 'challenge' I just think of it as a nice route round those peaks, easily manageable within the challenge time for anyone even moderately fit.  Gets a bit rammed in mid summer mind, what with hoards of firemen etc doing it for charity.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 10:24:16, 07/05/08 »
Sounds like a killer that one. Is it a run or a walk ?

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 10:44:53, 07/05/08 »
...or a crawl?

you picked a bad year,the course had been made difficult on purpose,

I did look up this years, which is unsurprisingly full, and they do say that this year they have chosen the route so that lots of people finish. It looks like they have some easier years and some hard years or should that be some hard years and some impossible ones.

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 13:01:44, 07/05/08 »
I do recall that I was still pretty pleased at clocking up 40 miles by 10 pm on day one.
Andy

Its good going.If I can remember rightly I got to the forty mile checkpoint at around 6pm and then struggled (too fast a pace over the early stages?)with the next ten miles to Garside.It seems a lot of people had trouble here.Not too sure of the time at the fifty mile checkpoint,think it was around 10pm,but it was starting to get dark when I started the ascent of Wild Boar fell.

Is it a run or a walk ?

Its up to the individual.The idea is to complete it within the time limit.

I did look up this years, which is unsurprisingly full, and they do say that this year they have chosen the route so that lots of people finish.

Interestingly its organsised by the same group.This years route looks quite good and will give people a fair chance of finishing.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 18:10:34, 07/05/08 »
As for the Yorkshire 3 Peaks 'challenge' I just think of it as a nice route round those peaks, easily manageable within the challenge time for anyone even moderately fit. 

Glad you said that, was beginning to worry there for a minute .. think I can get away with moderately fit  ;)

Regarding 'The Hundred', I guess this is one of those experiences which some people crave.  Personally, I like the idea and could contemplate it at some point, but I'm trying to imagine the pain!  Tony, you're write up is frighteningly realistic, I can almost feel your muscles freezing up!  :o

robn

« Reply #14 on: 14:49:12, 22/05/08 »
This sounds like a fantastic challenge! Maybe it'll be doable next year for me. I'm currently busy training for a cycle tour, but after that, I'm up for a hiking challenge (althought the 3 peaks may call on me sometime in august or september.....I've always wanted to climb The Ben!  O0 ).

How much training did everyone else do for this?

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy