Author Topic: Advise to new boy!  (Read 2161 times)

Cadairmanuk

• Veteran Member
Advise to new boy!
« on: 21:49:38, 18/05/08 »
Hi there I'm after some sound advise and I hoping you people could help!

I have just started out walking after years of mountain biking and so far enjoying it. I'm doing the 3 peaks in June hence the reason for walking. To be honest the 3 peaks dosn't appeal to me as I think it's a waste 24hrs as no time to stop and enjoy the mountains but doing a charity runs so at least someone benefits!!

Should I invest in some poles ?

Would you go for trail traineers or stick with my walking boots?

I live in Machynlleth so Cader Idris and Aran Fawddwy are on my door step for training purpose' but what a differance to biking I can go up any hill for miles on a bike but walking is a different ball game any advise help would be great.

Thanks

Ben
http://www.facebook.com/Penygader    Bringing you all the very latest from Southern Snowdonia

Dizzy

• Veteran Member
Re: Advise to new boy!
« Reply #1 on: 23:39:09, 18/05/08 »
Hi and welcome to the site :).I have no idea about the 3 peaks but just wanted to say....you jammy devil!!!I would kill to live there,its my fave place in the world.I climbed Cadair Idris a couple of weeks ago and what a fantastic mountain.Earlier today I went for a great walk in the valley below the northern edge of cadair idris and wow,what a gorgeous unspoiled place.

Well that was sod all help to you but I'm sure that practising on those mountains will be more than adequate for training purposes.Aran fawddwy is next on my list!

Good luck,

Claire

timus

« Reply #2 on: 11:57:05, 19/05/08 »
Hello mate,

There does seem to be a bit of snobbery about poles - in some quarters but I have to say they are good and on the occasions when I can remember to take them I'm always glad I did. Interestingly, yesterday I was watching some old footage taken at the Everest bass camp in the 60 and everyone was using them.. 

I would go for boots - but that's because I like to have ankle protection. Either way make sure whatever you put on your feet they have good stiff soles to protect the soles of your feet from all the rocks you will be treading on.

Have fun!

t

Gizerd

« Reply #3 on: 16:53:00, 19/05/08 »
Howdy and welcome :) I'm new to the forum too and these peeps are awesome.

I personally don't use poles, but I think that's just my preference. I don't like anything in my hands while walking around.

I also prefer boots because of the ankle support and because I love hard leather waterproof boots. It makes me feel like I can step pretty much anywhere and don't have to worry about brambles or mud, etc. Very freeing! Just a warning though, they take a long time to break in and you HAVE to break them in.

Good luck!

Lizzie

Cadairmanuk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 18:46:07, 19/05/08 »
Thanks for the info!! I will stick to my boots and I seem happy with out sticks at the moment. Dizzy/Claire yes it's great living here for the mountains and sea I love been outside either on my mtb or walking , Cader has been with me both man and boy, I think I know every rock and blade of grass on there, but I never get board of it ever. I went up Friday night from the Machynlleth side and yesterday from Dollgellau. There are loads of place' to walk round here and it's great not traveling far if you want to get out last min.

Cheers

Ben
http://www.facebook.com/Penygader    Bringing you all the very latest from Southern Snowdonia

robn

« Reply #5 on: 14:40:42, 22/05/08 »
I always stick with boots because I've damaged ligaments in my right ankle so much from playing around with different extreme sports, that the slightest awkward twist can cause me agony. So, if you want to protect your ankles I'd go with boots. Also, with footwear with no ankle protection, its easier for little twigs, thorns and stones to get into the shoe, or caught in your sock which can be a right pain.

Regarding poles, I prefer not to use them because they turn out to be a hassle if you have to start scrabpling over some rocks. They're always a welcome help on a long, straight downhill section with no real obstacles, but you're not really going to find that where you're going.

Also, time is of the essence, so I guess poles would be more of a hinderance than a help- you may find yourself running/sliding down the shingle of Scafell to meet your 24 hour deadline, in which case, poles wouldn'treally be of any use...

Snowman

« Reply #6 on: 10:03:34, 23/05/08 »
Firstly poles.    IMO they definitely have a place in hillwaking, as they enable you to use your upper body to help the walking process.    On the premise that one of the reasons people walk is for physical fitness, I see no issue with developing the upper body as well as the legs.    My feeling is that the 'purists' who slag off poles deserve the pain they get.

One does occasionally see 'overuse' of walking poles.    For example a couple of days ago I saw someone using the pedestrian crossing over the A308 at Windsor, where it crosses the 'Long Walk'.   Now if you don't know the area, the maximum ascent you're likely to encounter in the Windsor area is about 10 metres (if that) and the Long Walk is like a beatifully manicured lawn.   Of course, I don't know if he had physical problems that were helped by the use of poles, but it did appear excessive.

As to boots/approach shoes, if you're mountain walking always use boots.    As has already been mentioned they provide ankle support, but the other advantage is to protect your feet against 'knocks' against rock.    It doesn't happen often, but if you're wearing a pair of lightweight shoes of any sort (including cheaper boots) and you bang your foot against a rock, you are going to know about it (this from experience).

S.

False_Summit_Veteran

« Reply #7 on: 16:05:12, 29/05/08 »
One does occasionally see 'overuse' of walking poles.    For example a couple of days ago I saw someone using the pedestrian crossing over the A308 at Windsor, where it crosses the 'Long Walk'...   ...but it did appear excessive.

"All the gear, no idea"
Any Moel's a goal.

Skinny Walker

« Reply #8 on: 16:53:09, 29/05/08 »
I tried to use a pole for the first time last weekend. I absolutely hated it. I found it got in the way and couldn't really feel any difference. But then again each to their own.

P.s Anyone want to buy a walking pole? :D
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 23:14:33, 29/05/08 »
Hi chubbywalker..,are youreally selling your walking pole? what brand and sort is it?
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy