Author Topic: TGO Challenge 2008 trip report  (Read 17831 times)

ukmase

• Veteran Member
Re: TGO Challenge 2008 trip report
« Reply #30 on: 17:29:42, 03/06/08 »
Class report Mike, honestly you put some work into them reports. did you write them at the end of each night?

I love the How 2 Cook breakfast picute - classic.

10 / 10 - Hmmm shall i attempt this TGO  :-X

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 19:46:38, 03/06/08 »
.... did you write them at the end of each night?

I love the How 2 Cook breakfast picute - classic.

10 / 10 - Hmmm shall i attempt this TGO  :-X

All written straight into this site over a couple of days after the event (whilst being questioned about everything under the sun by my 3 year old grandson....)
A complete version should be appearing on Doodlecat in  due course - where there's a repository for TGO Challenge accounts - hope they'll fix the spelling mistakes and duff grammar I keep noticing, though....

Shall you attempt the TGO?----- Course ya will - you know you want to....
« Last Edit: 20:02:29, 03/06/08 by mike knipe »
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

Dave Wood

« Reply #32 on: 22:00:36, 04/06/08 »
Walkingirl and ukmuse, I agree with Mike, if you are considering the TGO challenge as a long distance walk then go for it, but beware!!!...it kinda gets under your skin and makes you want to return the following year for more. I have just completed my third Challenge in as many years and no doubt I'll be back next year for another crack at it.
It is a totally unique event in that you plan your own route, which is part of the enjoyment, and there are so many options. You can plan the route to suit your requirements, be it high level taking in Munro's or low level through some wonderful Glens. There is also a lively social side to it too (if you want it) with many get togethers along the way.
As a starting point for your planning I recommend the book"Scottish Hill Tracks" which details many long distance routes on tracks and rights of way through the Highlands.
I would post some photo's to whet your appetite further but I can't work out how to do it.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 10:29:35, 05/06/08 »
I would post some photo's to whet your appetite further but I can't work out how to do it.

Have a look at Uploading Photos in the photography section, we want to see them.

Dave Wood

« Reply #34 on: 23:35:15, 07/06/08 »
Thanks to Chris's porting on how to upload photo's, here are a few from the TGO Challenge this year. I am working on a trip report but it's taking longer to complete than the actual walk did!

[nofollow]
Oban Sunset

[nofollow]
Loch Etive

[nofollow]
Meall nan Eun from Loch Dochart

[nofollow]
Beinn_an_Dothaid_from_Coire_Achaladair

[nofollow]
Loch_Rannoch

[nofollow]
Loch_Bhac

[nofollow]
Approaching_Blair_Atholl

[nofollow]
Falls_Of_Tarf

[nofollow]
Lochnagar
[nofollow]
Red Castle-Lunan Bay

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 04:40:10, 10/06/08 »
Walkingirl and ukmuse, I agree with Mike, if you are considering the TGO challenge as a long distance walk then go for it, but beware!!!...it kinda gets under your skin and makes you want to return the following year for more. I have just completed my third Challenge in as many years and no doubt I'll be back next year for another crack at it.
It is a totally unique event in that you plan your own route, which is part of the enjoyment, and there are so many options. You can plan the route to suit your requirements, be it high level taking in Munro's or low level through some wonderful Glens. There is also a lively social side to it too (if you want it) with many get togethers along the way.

Arrrrrrr Dave finally you come outta of your shell to post!!! Nah jokingly, this is one thing that I like bout the route is the planning of it...  And the social side of it is a mere plus to it!!! When long the SUW we saw no one for days at a time part from the odd day pack but no one for doing the route it self, apart from two other peeps who we saw every couple of days than nothing after that....  I must say the broads were so much friendlier than the other peeps from the other side (sounds a bit freaky that as though they got a dark side to them... Mebe they have unknowingly), But an enjoyable route...  Now the thing with the TGO Challenge is more or less the same as the Suw within the coast to coast as they both run from West to East!!!!  But the TGO Challenge is more highland than the broads??? Am quite looking forward to it....  In a funny kinda of way but can't wait to have a trackle with it. :) :) :) Nice photos there Dave.... I love the sencond one. and the one of Beinn-an-Dothaid-from-Coire-Achaladair.  There stunning.
« Last Edit: 04:43:14, 10/06/08 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 00:50:36, 21/06/08 »
Terrific report mike, really did enjoy reading it,well done pal. and Dave wood great photos, I especially like the first shot, i love sunsets.., and welcome to this forum pal  O0
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

John Manning

« Reply #37 on: 15:48:59, 10/07/08 »
Fantastic report Mr Knipe! Well done sirrah.

I'd never seen this board before until a Google search brought me to your write-up. Now I might start hassling folk over the wild camping campaign...  :D

You deserve a posh poo for that.

Yon's a picture of thee and Steph, after the hostel on Day Two, but before the Posh Poo.
“Keep close to Nature's heart… and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
John Muir

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 21:18:02, 10/07/08 »
Eyyooop John - nice to hear from you - everybody enjoys a lovely poo, though don't they though? 
I cheated a bit with the account, and almost the exact tale appears on Phil Lambert's Doodlecat.  Couldnt be arsed writing it all again...... and he's agreed to put my Penine Way account on there too - plenty of lovely poos in that one too....he just has to beat it into submission.

Dave Wood

« Reply #39 on: 23:22:04, 12/07/08 »
John. Welcome to the best on line walking forum (in my opinion) .... Another Yorkshire man too...the more the merrier
They are a friendly bunch on here.
Mr Knipe's TGO trip reports are second to none and he is a prominant poster on this forum .
Looking forward to your input.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 12:33:05, 13/07/08 »
The cheque's in the post, Dave   O0  Have a picture!  (Bob and Lee heading towards Derry Lodge)
« Last Edit: 12:40:14, 13/07/08 by mike knipe »

John Manning

« Reply #41 on: 12:19:55, 14/07/08 »
Cheers Dave!

Mike's also one of the funniest blokes out there... funny in the way "the telly's gone funny"? Who can tell!
“Keep close to Nature's heart… and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.”
John Muir

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy