Author Topic: Hi,newbie here  (Read 6454 times)

Rossco

Hi,newbie here
« on: 18:30:05, 08/06/08 »
Hi guys.

Newbie here so 1st of all i'd just like 2 say hello.

Me and 2 mates(we're all novices) are planning to do Snowdon next sunday.Does anybody have any advice as what gear to take with us.Also what is the best time to get to Snowdon,as i hear the car park at Llanberris gets busy pretty quickly?We're travelling from Staffordshire,so it'll roughly be a 2 1/2 hr drive.

Thanks 

Ridge

• Veteran Member
Re: Hi,newbie here
« Reply #1 on: 10:50:12, 09/06/08 »
Map and compass and the ability to use them, though where you are going you can not go too far wrong
Boots
Food and liquid - I was going to say lots of water if it is a day like today but it looks like it will only be 8C
Waterproofs
Fleece
Small first aid kit
Rucksack to put all your stuff in

That should be plenty for a clear day in June.

Snowman

« Reply #2 on: 12:18:50, 09/06/08 »
Map and compass and the ability to use them, though where you are going you can not go too far wrong

Actually if you're doing the Llanberis route, you could probably do it with your eyes shut.    Just listen to the crowd around you.

Have you thought of one of the more interesting routes?   You might have less trouble parking, although the car park at Pen-y-pas also tends to get full quite quickly.   I've done Rhyd Ddu which is relatively quiet.    Watkin path - don't know - anyone?

S.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 13:34:38, 09/06/08 »
Actually if you're doing the Llanberis route, you could probably do it with your eyes shut.    Just listen to the crowd around you.

This is, unfortunately*, true but I could not bring myself to write even the shortest equipment list without putting map and compass at the top.

*Totally off topic but, having typed 'unfortunately' I'm not really sure it is. Certainly anyone there has as much right as I do to walk up hills and if I enjoy it how can I moan if others do too.

Snowman

« Reply #4 on: 10:38:54, 10/06/08 »
Certainly anyone there has as much right as I do to walk up hills and if I enjoy it how can I moan if others do too.

While I agree in principle, I would add the rider '... provided they are properly equipped'.   I saw a woman (admittedly at the Llanberis end) on the path wearing high heels.

S.

Rossco

« Reply #5 on: 17:06:10, 10/06/08 »
Thanks for the info guys.

A guy at work who's an experienced climber has sorted me a map and compass.We plan to do the Llanberis route up,then the miners track down.

Rossco

« Reply #6 on: 05:00:07, 16/06/08 »
Hello everyone

Had a great day yesterday.we started at the car park on pen-y-pass and took the pyg track up.weather was warm and clear,grear views at the summit and it wasnt too busy.got to the top at 9am.we took the miners track back.loved every minute.we're planning our next trip,probably up to the lakes for scafell pike.

thanks for all the info.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:17:07, 16/06/08 »
Pleased you enjoyed it, it sounds like you may have been bitten by the bug. You can test yourself by seeing if you can walk past an outdoors shop without going in.
we're planning our next trip,probably up to the lakes for scafell pike.

Don't get me wrong there is nothing the matter with a bit of peak bagging but after your 3rd walk (presumably Ben Nevis) start looking for places were you may be a bit more lonely. There is something very special about days when you are on YOUR hills with hardly another person around.
« Last Edit: 10:19:28, 16/06/08 by Ridge »

Rossco

« Reply #8 on: 17:17:07, 16/06/08 »

Don't get me wrong there is nothing the matter with a bit of peak bagging but after your 3rd walk (presumably Ben Nevis) start looking for places were you may be a bit more lonely. There is something very special about days when you are on YOUR hills with hardly another person around.

Ben Nevis is in the pipeline,but prob not till next year.I've always fancied going down the brecon beacons and doing pen y fan,so that may happen soon 2

Snowman

« Reply #9 on: 11:32:02, 17/06/08 »
Ridge is absolutely right, you can't beat a day out without crowds, and the places you're choosing aren't going to be without crowds.    Pen y Fan, being the highest mountain in S. Wales won't be quiet.    Try a bit further west - Fan Brycheiniog is a lot quieter starting from Glyntawe.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy