Author Topic: Charity Walks  (Read 83349 times)

Chris

• Administrator
Charity Walks
« on: 19:29:13, 01/12/06 »
To avoid cluttering the boards, all charity walk announcements should be posted to this thread.
« Last Edit: 09:22:29, 29/09/10 by Chris »

walkforacure

Plymouth lads thru hike Appalachian Trail for charity
« Reply #1 on: 02:57:06, 18/11/08 »
Hello everyone! Not sure this is allowed but it is for a very good cause: Just wanted to spread the word about a Charity Hike that my friend and I will be embarking on next year...

Starting in April 2009 Colin Ross and Myself (Tom Gale) will be hiking, for charity, the entire length of one of the worlds longest and most formidable footpaths, The Appalachian Trail. We're raising money for Cancer Research UK because of the amazing and incredible work they do.

Standing at 2175miles - The Appalachian Trail is a footpath in North America whose origins date back to the early part of the 20th century. It stretches from Springer Mtn. in Georgia to Mt. Katahdin in Maine and was, until recently, the single longest footpath in the world. The trail passes through fourteen states unveiling its 2,175 miles curving its way up the East Coast of North America.

Got a team website up and running: http://walkforacure.terapad.com [nofollow]

And a just giving page too: http://justgiving.com/tomandcolin [nofollow]

Oh and a facebook group as well - invite everyone you can! http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?topic=5946&uid=2204686188#/group.php?gid=35736872780&ref=mf [nofollow]

Would really love to hit big figures on this so please tell everyone you know and Colin and I will buy you all cake!

Thanks!!!!

The Big Issue

Charity Night Hike
« Reply #2 on: 10:58:12, 25/09/09 »
Hello,

To celebrate 18 years of The Big Issue Magazine helping homeless and vulnerably housed people we have organised an 18 mile night walk through London. Its going to be a night of walking, celebrating, laughter and fun. You can read more about it at www.bigissue.org.uk/thebignightout [nofollow]

So why not getting your walking boots on, sign up and get involved! 

Walking Englishman

Charity Walks for Chile Earthquake Relief
« Reply #3 on: 14:43:03, 08/03/10 »
From Mark Stephenson ([email protected])

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for people who would be interested in a charity walk or two in order to raise money for the people of southern Chile, recently hit by an 8.8 magnitude earthquake. I lived in Chile for more than 5 years and have close associations with the country and its people. The organisation of the events / walks is in its infancy at present - things will get moving this week. The charity likely to be involved will be Red Cross Chile.  

The walks will most likely be  
1) around the North Yorshire Moors, taking in Roseberry Topping & Captain Cooks monument ( say Saturday May 15 )  
2) Great Whernside area walk ( say Saturday May 29 )  
3) North / South Downs ( say Saturday June 12 ).  

If anybody is interested in these walks please get in touch. Thanks to those who put otgether the site. Many thanks in advance, Mark Stephenson  

I'm a walker on the edge of my perception. We're all travellers at the edge of our perceptions.

www.walk-dartmoor.com

Walking for charity
« Reply #4 on: 08:27:20, 25/04/10 »
Hi folks,

If you click this http://walk-dartmoor.blogspot.com/ [nofollow] you will find (below my sunset walk) a recent report for the Dartmoor Challenge walk that took place last week. If anyone is interested in walking this next year to raise money for that particular charity, please feel free to get in contact ith me.

If anyone would like to retrospectively sponsor or donate for this years event, please email me for further details.

Kind regards  :)

Dixie

• Veteran Member
Charity Y3 peaks walk. 7th Aug
« Reply #5 on: 15:55:38, 10/06/10 »
So who's up for this then we could get a team together from the forum. It wont be a mad rush around lets just get round and make some money for the Cave Rescue at Clapham. By the way most of their turnouts are on the fells.

http://www.cro.org.uk/threepeakschallenge

We need to move quick as places are limited.

Dixie

• Veteran Member
Re: Charity Y3 peaks walk. 7th Aug
« Reply #6 on: 16:10:59, 10/06/10 »
Oh sh** I forgot I'm om my hols so wont be able to take part  :-[ .

Good cause though and its the thought that counts I suppose. So my above post is for info only to those that may be interested.

10peaks

The first 10 Peaks Challenge
« Reply #7 on: 13:24:36, 12/08/10 »
The first 10 Peaks challenge took place on 31st July 2010. There were times when I wondered why I had ever decided to let people take part for free! But it all payed off in the end. Thanks to all the event sponsors it was possible to not only organise this 45 mile walk/run but also to provide free Lakeland Spring water and bananas to all competitors. The goal, was always, and still is to raise as much money for charity as we could whilst testing peoples limits in beautiful surroundings. It's difficult to give accurate figures but I think we have raised in the region of £8,000 and £9,000 for the charities which makes it all worth while. Not only that I have received a lot of positive feedback from those who took part and everyone seems keen to give it another go next year. When hopefully the conditions will be kinder than they were at the end of July! Due to the poor weather conditions no one managed all 10 peaks so the challenge is on for next year - could you be the first to do all 10? I don't yet have a date for next years event but I will post a message when I have the date confirmed. Next year will be bigger and even better! Photos of this years event will be on the website from next week - see www.10peaks.com [nofollow]
Paul
www.10peaks.com [nofollow]
10 highest peaks / 73km / 5600m ascent / 24 hours

The Big Issue

The Big London Night Walk - 25km in support of the homeless
« Reply #8 on: 15:51:13, 06/09/10 »
Hi All,
On Friday 1st October The Big Issue is looking for 400 people to join us as we walk 25km through the night around London. We'll be stopping off for refreshments at some of Londons most interesting venues and some of our Big Issue vendors (sellers) will be walking with us, so it will be a great chance to chat with the people you will be supporting. You can read more and sign up at www.bigissue.org.uk/walk [nofollow] / [email protected] [nofollow] / 0845 217 9023

Thanks for your support and letting me post this on your site. Its going to be a great walk so I hope some of you can join us.

sgt_pepper46

• Veteran Member
Aren't most of the Big Issue sellers tucked up in bed at night?  ;) ;D
40/214
8/283
13/190
26/253

Ciao Marco

The Big Issue

Hopefully with the support of the walkers all our Big Issue sellers can be tucked up in a bed at night.  :)

JohnZBF

Hike4Hunger event - 9th-16th October 2010
« Reply #11 on: 17:44:18, 07/10/10 »
« Thread Started Today at 4:40pm »   [size=-1][Quote [Modify   Hello,

I am writing to inform you of a fund-raising event that I am sure members of Walking Forum would be interested in participating.

Hike4Hunger, organised on behalf of Zimbabwe Benefit Foundation (ZBF), is a 7-day hike beginning in the Cotswold's and finishing in London. The walk has the objective of highlighting the great number of people suffering from malnourishment globally whilst raising funds to support efforts to supply food. The walk can be completed in whole or walkers can select any portion to complete.

All money raised by the UK hike 2010 will be donated to the ZBF’s new Agriculture and Education project which aims to provide agricultural inputs, access to education, training and income generating capacity for schools across Zimbabwe.

Please read the attached press release and information leaflet about the event. Please do not hesitate to e-mail with questions about the Zimbabwe Benefit Foundation or the Hike4Hunger event.

Visit Hike4Hunger - www.hike4hunger.org [nofollow] for more information.

Yours Sincerely,

John Young
Communications Volunteer

L.Duxbury

Trek to Machu Picchu for World Cancer Research Fund
« Reply #12 on: 15:40:36, 01/11/10 »
Calling all Walkers!
I am posting this to draw all your attention to a fabulous new opportunity which has arisen TODAY! Do something amazing in 2011 for  World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF UK)[/b] by taking part in a charity challenge. Trek to reach the lost city of Machu Picchu in Peru to help in the fight to prevent cancer.
This fundraising trek is a unique alternative to the extremely busy Inca Trail in Peru as it takes you off the beaten track. You will see diverse and spectacular scenery as you get a glimpse of Peruvian life that has remained untouched for centuries.
Dates which are currently available are:
19/05/2011 - 28/05/2011  OR  30/09/2011 - 09/10/2011  OR  14/10/2011 - 23/10/2011
Minimum sponsorship is £3,395 and in return you will receive all the help and support you need from a member of the dedicated events fundraising team.
WCRF UK relies on the generous support ofpeople like you to continue its vital cancer prevention programmes. To find outmore about where the money raised goes to, please visit the website:  http://www.wcrf-uk.org[/color] [nofollow].  
For more information please visit the website or email  [email protected][/color] [nofollow]  
 I hope this is of interest to many of you, I know it will be a great experience for a great cause.
Thanks.  

Northevents

BHF Yorkshire Three Peaks Challenge 2011
« Reply #13 on: 12:09:45, 03/11/10 »
Why not join the British Heart Foundation for this fantastic Challenge and help us to save the lives of those living with heart disease?...

This scenic 25 mile hike starting from Horton in Ribblesdale will take you through the Yorkshire Dales National Park and over the three highest peaks in Yorkshire - Pen y Ghent, Whernside and Ingleborough.

Walkers travel from throughout the country to take on the challenge in this picturesque part of Yorkshire. The distance of 25 miles on this circular walk can be quite strenuous but with some training and the careful selection of equipment most people can accomplish this walk.

Walkers can start from 7.00am to 7.30am and it usually takes between 9-13 hours to complete the walk.

For more information on the British Heart Foundation and this event, please contatc the Events Team on 0800 085 2280 or by emailing [email protected] [nofollow]

Northevents

BHF National Three Peaks Challenge 2011
« Reply #14 on: 12:14:30, 03/11/10 »
Are you ready for a real challenge? Join the British Heart Foundation in 2011 and help fight heart disease whilst tackling three of the UK's highest peaks.

This challenge will see you climb Ben Nevis, Scafell Pike and Snowdon in 48 hours. This is a seriously tough challenge of a lifetime, giving you a bird's eye view of some of the UK's most spectacular scenary.

This is a team event, and teams must consist of between 4-6 walkers and one driver. Entry is £40 per person and most meals and camp sites are included.

For more information on this fantastic event, contact the Events Team on 0800 085 2280 or by emailing [email protected] [nofollow]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy