Author Topic: black toenails-help!!  (Read 3541 times)

susiej

• Veteran Member
black toenails-help!!
« on: 22:36:34, 01/10/08 »
 I'm planning on an trek to Everset base camp next spring, so in prep I bought a pair of Scarpa £100 boots on the advice of the chap in the shop. The other day I completed a (mostly flat) 23 mile hike; by the end my toes were in agony and downhill was excruciating-I think it might just be the shape of my toes but whatever it is I can't have this once I'm stuck in the Himalayas. My right toe nail is now black and looks like it's on it's way out. do i just need bigger boots? the ones I have are great for the first 10 miles or so but as my feet swell my toes start jamming into the front edge. i am loath to spend yet more money if I cant be sure of not getting a repeat problem-any ideas??? All advice gratefully received-THANKS!!! : :-\
take it easy...but take it

www.yogaunionswansea.org

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: black toenails-help!!
« Reply #1 on: 22:49:01, 01/10/08 »
I wonder whether the boots fit properly.... I can't decide if they're too big - feet sliding around and impacting on the toes - or too small.  But 23 miles straight off in new boots  could be the main issue, I expect...  you could try wearing them in a bit more before resigning yourself to yet more money (for different boots). Do the boots feel tight after your toes have warmed up?
Are your feet used to this sort of thing?

I would wave goodbye to your current set of traumatised toe nails by the sound of it!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 22:55:30, 01/10/08 »
I had worn them in- couple of mountains in snowdonia etc; they seemed to fit fine then but only did a few miles those days (not sure if my feet are worn in mind!) of course in the shop the boots felt just peachy. I wear running shoes with masses of space at the front (1 1/2 sizes bigger than usual shoes) and have no probs although I know loads of runners who are always losing their nails (euukk!)  thanks for responding xx

www.yogaunionswansea.org

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 23:10:11, 01/10/08 »
I hope someone can answer this expertly, because I get the same problem, on the 2nd toe of each foot (the one next to my big toe) and to a lesser extent on the 3rd (middle) ones after doing a 3-day backpack.
I had the problem with my previous pair of boots, and when I was buying my present ones (which are now worn out and due for replacement) I was told my boots were a fraction too long for my feet, so that my feet were moving forward inside the boots and my toes were striking the front, resulting in the bruising.
At the same time, I can well believe the opposite, that boots that are too tight/short might be the reason.
I don't know if thick layers of socks helps, but I assume it does.
The bruising is no big thing, by the way.  The soreness wears off after only a few days, after which you're just left with unsightly dark toenails until they've grown out.  if it's really extreme the nail might drop off after a while but it's not going to kill you.  I'm guessing maybe you're not too happy about what they'll look like, as you're of the sex that takes more care over their appearance than us blokes.

the coot

« Reply #4 on: 08:10:28, 02/10/08 »
If they are too big or too small, you could try different insoles to alter the volume and the fit of the boot. Either way, buy your boots in the afternoon (or after some walking) when your feet have had a chance to expand a little.

stevieboy378

« Reply #5 on: 10:01:54, 02/10/08 »
This is the reason why good outdoor shops have those ramp thingies that you can walk up and down whilst wearing a pair of boots, to ensure a good fit before you part with your hard earned cash  ;) . . . .
A good fitting boot will not only have plenty of room around your toes, but will also hold your foot securely, and not allow it to slide forward as you walk downhill, which is probably what caused the problems with your toes.
"Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals ! . . .
. . . .except the weasels." - Homer Simpson

Steve Wilcox

muymalestado

« Reply #6 on: 09:55:39, 03/10/08 »
. . . . A good fitting boot . . . will also hold your foot securely, and not allow it to slide forward as you walk downhill . . .
The seminal incident with the well trained salesperson taught us a few simple points we had missed for years - including 'volume' in a boot, and 'lacing'. Just why did we think we had to lace a boot from bottom to top then tie it?

The idea being to realise the lacing performs different duties as it goes up the boot.  Volume control at the start.  Toward the top, securing the ankle. 

Thus, say, lace loosely at first, do a twist knot, continue lacing the upper boot tightly with a twist at each eyelet, continue down again before tying one or two eyelets down so the upper lace keeps the ankle & heel at the back of the boot and helps keep the toes away from the front.

Why did it take 15 years of walking to figure this out?
I think this next one will be the top ...

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 18:00:12, 03/10/08 »
Thanks all! the laces idea seems really good-so simple, I'll definitely give it a go, meanwhile by the way Howard my toe nails are usually painted dark purple anyway so it's not so much the appearance as the A-G-O-N-Y that was upsetting me.
thanks for all the advice  O0

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Graham

« Reply #8 on: 20:03:27, 04/10/08 »
Are your toe nails cut short enough as to not rub on the inside of the boot as this may give you discomfort.

howardfernlover

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 20:58:13, 04/10/08 »
We'll have to let Susie answer this for herself, but my toenails are always cut short, so it's not the cause in my case  - and I only paint them purple on a Saturday night  ;)

susiej

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 23:36:39, 04/10/08 »
well you know...purple saturdays...green wednesdays...yes nails cut mega short...however have recently read that nails shouldn't be cut too short...seems whatever someone advises someone else advises the opposite (except for purple on a saturday of course...)   ;)

www.yogaunionswansea.org

Skinny Walker

« Reply #11 on: 10:05:07, 05/10/08 »
Definitely purple on a Saturday.....matches my eye  shadow!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

hammy392

« Reply #12 on: 21:25:01, 17/10/08 »
I have also suffered black toe nails  i had to have them cut off in fact although it has somthing to do with the arch under your feet this can cause youre feet to slip and cause black toenails i know its really painful

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy