Author Topic: Rob Roy Way  (Read 4726 times)

kevc

Rob Roy Way
« on: 23:58:10, 10/10/08 »
I recently returned from the West Highland Way and have a bit of a hankering to do another multi day walk which isn't too far away, and not too far north to aid weather conditions. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be as popular a route and as such information is slightly lacking. Just wondering if anyone knows what the camping situation is like along the way(i'm happy to wild camp)? And although it has this down as a 7 day walk i would be looking to reduce this, i would be thinking closer to 20miles a day, as i understand it can be 74-94miles dependent on route choice so i guess 4-5 days walking.

kevc

Re: Rob Roy Way
« Reply #1 on: 23:10:06, 21/10/08 »
really...no one?

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:10:06, 22/10/08 »
.....tumbleweed rolls past.....

Just checked out the route on this interwebby thingy - and I seem to know the area reasonably well. (we had holidays by Loch Lubnaig for 7 -8 years and Ive done bits of the route on TGO challenges.

I'm not sure if the campsites will be open in winter but - there's one at Strathyre, one just East of Killin, one at Aberfeldy and a couple at Pitlochry. Not sure about the other end of the walk. Its just a day's walk from Aberfeldy to Pitlochry

If they're not open - get the numbers from Tourist info and give them a buzz to find out - there should be plenty of opportunity to wild camp - which is legal in Scotland.  You ought to be able to do this almost anywhere on the route as long as its away from houses..

Was on me hols when you first posted this....and I haven't been arsed to look back over the weeks...

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

the coot

« Reply #3 on: 07:51:17, 22/10/08 »
The bit from Callander to Killin looks like it is on the cycle way (boring!), I saw a route for it years ago that went north up the side of Loch Katrine and then around to Balquhidder that way. Actually it would be more interesting to go over the Menteith hills from Aberfoyle, then use the cycle way to walk around to Brig O'Turk, then use the right of way over to Balquhidder through Glen Finglas than use the cycle way. (You can get from Balquhidder to near Lix Toll over the hills also, but that is more complicated.) I've also done the bit down Glen Almond.

kevc

« Reply #4 on: 19:40:51, 22/10/08 »
the way does go thru the woods and over the Menteith hills, some of the way isn't marked on OS maps, especially sheet 57, the copies of 51 and 52 i have seem to have it marked. but i think although the route does generally follow cycle path 7, they've taken measures where possible to divert it onto tracks etc better for walking.

Cheers mike, i had noticed some of the campsites, tho from walking Ben lawers today i know the campsite at killin is well out the way and unfortunately the other places don't lend themselves for the distance i'm planning to cover each day. think it'll just be down to some wild camping and stopping off for refreshments wherever i can. And i suppose even if the campsites are close, i can just pitch my tent and do without the facilities :D From the WHW a lot of places seem to shut at the end of oct, so i might just catch what ones there are.

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 23:16:06, 22/10/08 »
There's some places to wild camp at Killin just down by the loch. You'd be OK there just for a night. Carry some water down there, though. Dont tell anybody I told you, either.....
Or there's a SYHA.
The route from Killin/ Strathyre is indeed an old railway line. I think there's a tea van at the top of the pass....    Alternative routes over the hills could well be more interesting and quite a bit tougher
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

kevc

« Reply #6 on: 23:32:37, 22/10/08 »
Yeh i figure with the right of way laws, combined with camping at last light, up with first light should mean i avoid any troubles even in questionable locations. Just always plead dumb then say your moving on anyway. Keep the site tidy and i don't expect problems. Cheers for the help, driving past i also noticed some native woodland which should pose more potential for camping as well.

the coot

« Reply #7 on: 07:50:59, 23/10/08 »
Killin SYHA has gone, the cycle track from Callander upwards is mostly tarmaced, even up Glen Ogle now. There is the Trossachs Backpackers hostel in Callander but you'd have to go out a little of your way. Last time I was up at Loch Venacher there were hordes camping along the south loch shore (and the north), and making one hell of a mess (and dumping their rubbish at the end of their stay), so you might find them a bit more touchy around this area (there is the very dull road walk from the end of the Menteith hills at West Dullater to Callander along Loch Venacher).

kevc

« Reply #8 on: 11:47:03, 24/10/08 »
I think the way actually goes up the west of the road up Glen Ogle meaning u dont have to walk on the tarmaced cycle path. Gets u up nice and close to the old aquaduct as well i believe. I was planning to camp just after Callander tho when i was up staying at the Trosachs Hotel i saw people camping along the north shore of Loch Venacher too, dont think they'll be a lot of people around to police the area next week really.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy