Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3174 times)

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« on: 11:35:32, 23/10/08 »
Hi all,

I'm a newbie to this forum, found the link on Walking Di's excellent blog. I have lived in Wiltshire for 13 years and am a big fan of our white horses, living a short walk from one of them.

If anyone wants any advice on Walking in this county, let me know and I'll do my best to help.
~
Sue

vertigo girl

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 11:40:50, 23/10/08 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I live in the North East of England and we too have a White Horse.

Regards

Carole

kirbstones

« Reply #2 on: 11:49:05, 23/10/08 »
Hi WHW

Welcome to the forum. I'm off to Dorset this weekend.  Know any good cliff walks down there?  3-5 miles, suitable for kids.
Phil
www.lakeland-walks.co.uk - guided walking in the Lake District and beyond.
www.windermere-way.co.uk - a walk around England's largest lake.

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 11:55:55, 23/10/08 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I live in the North East of England and we too have a White Horse.

Regards

Carole

Thanks Carole. Cleadon Hills? Never been there, but looked it up! I quote:

"Cleadon Hills white horse, Tyne and Wear
OS grid reference: NZ 393 645
This small horse, 2 metres high by 3 metres wide, painted on a rock face with tar and limewash, is one of only four white horses in Britain to face right. It is on Cleadon Hills south of South Shields, and until post-war housing estates were built could be seen from much of South Shields. There are at least five conflicting accounts of its origin, one of which suggests it might have been created in the 1840s. The first reference to it dates from 1887."

Our Devizes white horse also faces right.
~
Sue

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 12:00:54, 23/10/08 »
Hi WHW

Welcome to the forum. I'm off to Dorset this weekend.  Know any good cliff walks down there?  3-5 miles, suitable for kids.

Hi, I don't know Dorset very well, but a few years ago I went on a school trip to Osmington on the Dorset coast (I was a trainee teacher for a whole 3 months - that was the best week!!) We went for a lovely walk along the beach there, I remember going down a very steep cliff path and the kids loved fossil-hunting. Have fun.
~
Sue

vertigo girl

« Reply #5 on: 13:50:18, 23/10/08 »
Hi Sue

The white horse i was referring to is actually in Kilburn, North Yorkshire at the top of Sutton Bank.

It's cut into the side of the hill, just beside the village of Kilburn. The famous White Horse measures over 300 feet long by nearly 300 feet high, and on a clear day, it’s claimed that the horse can be seen as far away as Leeds and Harrogate. It was the work of John Hodgson, a local schoolmaster, who with the help of his pupils completed it in the mid-18th century.

I wasn't aware of the one you referred to in the Cleadon Hills even though I work about 2 miles away.

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:54:57, 23/10/08 »
I wasn't aware of the one you referred to in the Cleadon Hills even though I work about 2 miles away.

lol, well, here's the page on which I found it (the Kilburn one also features).
http://wiltshirewhitehorses.org.uk/others.html That's one heck of a horse!

The one in my pic is Westbury, by the way.
~
Sue

twiglegs

« Reply #7 on: 15:38:09, 23/10/08 »
Hi WHW welcome to the forum girl.

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 15:43:41, 23/10/08 »
Thanks Twiglegs. Quite a few familiar names!
~
Sue

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 16:26:35, 23/10/08 »
Hi WTTF  ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Skinny Walker

« Reply #10 on: 16:44:45, 23/10/08 »
Welcome!
You need special shoes for hiking - and a bit of a special soul as well.  ~Emme Woodhull-Bäche

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:41:42, 23/10/08 »
Thank you all. :)
~
Sue

titaniumdude

« Reply #12 on: 23:08:10, 23/10/08 »
Hiya WHW.  What a lovely historically rich part of the planet you live in.  I have spent many happy days exploring the trials in Wiltshire and the surrounding counties (as well as many happy solstice festivals).  The Ridgeway is still one of my favourite national trails simply because it is so ancient  and there is such a richness of archaeological experience on it.  enjoy the site.  Many friendly folk here with lots of useful info.

:)

TD
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 17:16:51, 25/10/08 »
Hiya WHW.  What a lovely historically rich part of the planet you live in.  I have spent many happy days exploring the trials in Wiltshire and the surrounding counties (as well as many happy solstice festivals).  The Ridgeway is still one of my favourite national trails simply because it is so ancient  and there is such a richness of archaeological experience on it.  enjoy the site.  Many friendly folk here with lots of useful info.

:)

TD

That's good to hear, always nice when people appreciate the area in which I live, and thanks for the welcome.
~
Sue

Delta

« Reply #14 on: 00:38:03, 13/01/09 »
Hey there, I also live at the base of a White Horse, just outside Pewsey so maybe I shall see you out and about some time :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy