Author Topic: Bulk Maps  (Read 1982 times)

RichLitt

Bulk Maps
« on: 18:15:43, 07/12/08 »
I am planning a very long trek through Scotland, I estimate around 1000 miles, and I am not sure what to do about maps. I normally buy the OS maps for any region I go through, or the trail maps, like the ones available for the Great Glen and WHW, but those won't cut it. I don't want to spen 600 pounds buying the maps I'd need, and I don't want to have to go to the landranger maps, which are a higher ratio and not suited for backcountry travel. So what should I do? Is there a GPS you'd suggest, or a downloadable OS Map for all of scotland? Thanks.

ramblingpete

• Veteran Member
Re: Bulk Maps
« Reply #1 on: 07:21:43, 08/12/08 »
Memory map might be your best bet. Expensive, but a lot less than £600.

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:18:43, 08/12/08 »
I use Anquet. Relatively cheap ( I picked up the whole of western Scotland at 1:50,000 for about £30, and with good printing options, route profiles, GPS compatibility etc. I print off what I need at whatever scale I need (enlargements for key sections on the reverse to ease poor weather navigation, or OS on one side and Harvey on the other) and then laminate them. Saves me a fortune!

They now have a mapserver which allows you to download and pay for only the areas you use, sort of like a map version of iTunes.

I'd recommend Anquet wholeheartedly, but then I haven't used memorymap so can't honestly compare

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 08:09:42, 09/12/08 »
I recommend Tracklogs - I couldn't get on with Anquet. Quo is OK, but Tracklogs works best for me.
~
Sue

agentmancuso

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:18:29, 11/12/08 »
I'd recommend Anquet wholeheartedly, but then I haven't used memorymap so can't honestly compare

Same here, I use Anquet all the time for planning. I don't actually print maps for day walks now that I have a GPS with Open Source mapping, but I do still for backpacking. Very handy.

In the pre-download days I stupidly snapped an Anquet  CD-Rom, and they sent me a new one no questions asked, so their customer service is pretty good too.

RichLitt

« Reply #5 on: 15:54:57, 13/12/08 »
These are good suggestions. I won't be able to print out maps, however, as I will not be near a computer for the trip. It's continuous, and I am very worried about weight, as I am trying to ultra lite it. Are they any GPS units that you would suggest for these digital maps? I am hoping for one that can hold a charge for a week at least. I don't want to have to stop in a pub every day.

Ian s

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:44:20, 14/12/08 »
You could consider posting the maps in advance to places on your route where you could pick them up for each stage. "Hamish's Mountain Walk" and Alastair Cawthorne's "Hell of a Journey" both describe extended treks in the Highlands and give details of how the logistics were handled, also both good reads if you haven't come across them already.

Unless you're confining your activities to the central belt the chances of being near a pub every day are fairly small I would say! :)

By the way, the Landranger 1:50,000 are considered by many to be a better bet for pedestrian navigation in the Scottish Highlands than the Explorer 1: 25,000. Due to over-zealous drawing in of rock features many OS 1:25,000 maps are verging on unusable, at least in the mountain areas. Just have a look at the Skye Cuillin and Torridon maps and you'll see what I mean. I tend to use Harvey (also downloadable from Anquet) for those sort of areas.

But then in the Lakes I would never use the Harvey maps and always use the OS 1:25,000

Call me a luddite but I wouldn't be setting off on a long trip with only GPS and no hard copy maps. But then my GPS is an old Etrex Summit. Good for what it does (add weight to my pack and record positions of secret stashes of whisky), but thirsty on batteries.

Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

RichLitt

« Reply #7 on: 13:30:13, 19/12/08 »
Thanks a lot guys. It looks like, with the landranger maps, I might be able to do this somewhat more easily. I think I'll buy maps and post them to where I need them.

On another note, since I think I may be able to do this, I'll tell you what I had planned. The first solo continuous pedestrian unsupported trek to each Munro and subsidiary top. I also plan to swim from Mull to the mainland, wearing a wetsuit for the 1.5 mile swim.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy