Author Topic: Where are folks walking this weekend?  (Read 573236 times)

Chris954

Re: Where are folks walking this weekend?
« Reply #2370 on: 20:36:38, 10/02/18 »
hoping to start off at the car park next to Ladybower and climb up Win Hill, Head north west along the ridge then drop down to the reservoir edge and back, about 6.5 miles according to Garmin basecamp

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2371 on: 01:18:44, 11/02/18 »

The paths around Tintagel are wonderful.   Have a great break Mel.

Was Mel there too? I didn't spot her ;)

Coastpath was fine of course but the linking path down from Westdowns was atrocious. NT land, they had been clearing the scrub and then let cattle in to churn it up even better and at the bottom of the valley in the flooded woodland the rotten stile was only held up by the loose strands of barbed wire - a danger to walkers and beasts.
YHA Tintagel is a lovely cosy hostel - newly refurbished with excellent facilities inlcuding a wood burner and glorious sea views - a bit blowy on Thursday night.

So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2372 on: 16:55:42, 11/02/18 »
Had a nice bimble around Beverley Westwood today in my favourite winter walking conditions.... Brilliant sunshine and bitterly cold.  Only 3 miles but it was lovely.  Underfoot conditions weren't bad either.  Think I'll add this one to my meagre list of reasonably mud-free local winter walks that don't involve tonnes of road walking  :)

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2373 on: 09:49:01, 12/02/18 »
My brother's girlfriend came to stay for the weekend and we had a walk down to South Head on the Pennine Bridleway, then back to the car over Brown Knoll and on the Chapel Gate Path. It was very cold and windy and we had all sorts of weather during the course of the afternoon but it was all good fun!  :)

Moorview

« Reply #2374 on: 21:30:29, 12/02/18 »
Walked round Salwarpe.Near a town but feels miles into the country with fantastic views.

pdstsp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2375 on: 08:33:26, 14/02/18 »
Pressure of work meant a weekend in the office for me.  But - I've managed to find a room in Braithwaite this Saturday so hoping to have two good days out on the fells, and a couple of beers and a bite to eat in the Royal Oak.  

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2376 on: 09:39:54, 18/02/18 »
Took advantage of a window of sunshine yesterday afternoon to have a ramble over Stanton Moor and Oaker Hill from Rowsley. Hadn't walked there before and it was an interesting location with some great views.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2377 on: 10:34:55, 03/03/18 »
Out with my WI walking group today.  Though I'm half expecting the organiser to text/email to say it's cancelled due to the snow/cold weather.  Either way, I'll walk up to the meeting point (about a mile and a half), have a cheese scone and cuppa and walk back across the fields - and if I get a walk with the group in the middle of that then it's a bonus  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2378 on: 20:15:46, 03/03/18 »
A lonely walk up High Willhays and Yes tors today.  I needed to use a shovel to get the car up to the car park in Meldon village.  No other foot prints up there at all.  Supposedly it was several degrees warmer than Thursday.  But in the high winds and freezing fog I ended up wearing even more layers for the slide back down, than on Thursday.  I did have a lot of fun practising my fall arrest with my ice axe though.  O0

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2379 on: 18:52:47, 18/03/18 »
Had two lovely(??) walks this weekend.  Both along the river bank on opposite sides of the town. Yesterday's involved mostly walking in sideways blizzards and freezing cold, blow you off your feet, winds.  Today's was more amiable in that there was no blizzard but the wind was still bluddi cawld on mi fizzog.

I have a wind-burnt face  :-[

Thoroughly enjoyed both walks  ;D

No, really.  I actually did  :)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2380 on: 22:11:10, 18/03/18 »
I had every thing packed for a walk on Dartmoor today.  Heading up between the moors from home, I looked right at the Ominous snow filled sky over Dartmoor,  then left at the snow capped, sun drenched hills of Bodmin moor.  So it was off to Bodmin.  O0  By 1pm the snow had arrived in earnest again there  to, but not before a welcome cuppa at the top of Brown Willy.  8) :)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2381 on: 18:22:55, 23/03/18 »
I have a long weekend so took advantage of YHA special offers and booked 3 nights in Whitby YHA for only £24

So, walked the Cinder Track from Scarborough to Whitby today and tomorrow I think I’ll take a train to Glaisdale and then walk back

Sunday I think I’ll walk along the Cleveland Way along the coast to Saltburn and bus it back.

Monday, Cinder Track back to Scarborough before heading home then back to work :-(
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2382 on: 19:00:28, 24/03/18 »
I walked from Ditchling Beacon today, following the South Downs Way to Plumpton Plain, where I turned off down into the Low Weald. I walked through East Chiltington, Streat and Westmeston and climbed up to the escarpment of the downs back to the Beacon.  Incredibly muddy but very scenic and there were lots of primroses.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2383 on: 19:03:38, 24/03/18 »
Walked over the Moors from Glaisdale to Whitby, flippers would have been a better choice of footwear than boots.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2384 on: 21:30:11, 25/03/18 »
Nice walk today around Burton Constable Hall's grounds.  Seeing as the entry fee costs £5.50 I didn't have a cuppa and bun in the tea room.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy