Author Topic: equipment for kids  (Read 1740 times)

Molson

equipment for kids
« on: 19:42:34, 28/12/08 »
I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere else on the forum but could not find a thread that covered this.

I'm looking for decent gear (i.e waterproofs etc) for my 8 year old, however can never seem to find anything for his age range - We are planning to do some longer walks and would like to get him something a little better than the usual bottom range clothing that only seem to be on offer (e.g Regatta etc) - does anyone know any good web sites/shops where this type of gear is available?

I'm not too worried about fleeces and baselayers as these are easy enough to find but waterproofs seem a little more difficult.

Ian s

• Veteran Member
Re: equipment for kids
« Reply #1 on: 21:40:04, 28/12/08 »
Marmot do their Pre-cip and DrClime ranges for kids. PreCip is a mid-price mid performance waterproof and Driclime is kinda like windproof covered lightweight shell stuff. In the adult versions both are good. Especially the Driclime!

You could speak to their UK distributor K2UK. Their customer services person, Steph, is a star.
www.k2-uk.co.uk

Hope that helps. No I'm not on commision ;)
Ian
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk
www.mountainfreedom.co.uk - Guided walking, scrambling and mountain skills throughout Scotland and further afield

the coot

« Reply #2 on: 09:55:46, 29/12/08 »
We used Regatta for both my boys when they were younger, waterproof enough, cheap so it doesn't matter if they grow out of it or wreck it, good sizes. Now they are older they get better stuff.

Mr Sam

« Reply #3 on: 22:03:13, 29/12/08 »
We used Regatta for both my boys when they were younger, waterproof enough, cheap so it doesn't matter if they grow out of it or wreck it, good sizes. Now they are older they get better stuff.

I agree, the kid will grow fairly dam fast so It won't matter if they don't last that long.
"I've run out of map... Hold on"

ukmase

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 16:06:24, 31/12/08 »
I can reccomend Spotty Otter  to anyone with young kids, we got our son one when he truned 3 and he has been all over in it and it still looks and performs perfectly.

outdoorsnut

« Reply #5 on: 16:41:21, 05/01/09 »
Theres a good range of outdoor kit for kids here: http://www.outdoorgb.com/c/childrens_outdoor_clothes_2098/ [nofollow]
Bought some stuff from them myself and I would definitely recommend. Good to see you are getting the kids involved from a young age, much better than them being stuck indoors getting fat!

Molson

« Reply #6 on: 20:35:44, 05/01/09 »
Thanks to everyone for the great advise! Some good ideas and sites for me to have a look at.  O0

ogy

« Reply #7 on: 12:51:57, 07/01/09 »
Milletts do some fantastic stuff and for a decent supply of waterproofs without the label price check out any army and navy store.

There is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing. - Sir Ranulph Fiennes

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 13:23:37, 07/01/09 »
I agree with ogy about the Millets stuff, by the time they have worn it out they will have grown too big for it or lost it anyway.

I was also going to say that if the conditions are not that good you would probably not take children out anyway but I would be lying

I do find that children need more layers than adults when it is cold, I guess that they just don't have the body mass to retain the heat. I can not find a picture of my son wearing both of his fleeces and then 1 of mine but it has happened.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy