Author Topic: Pennine Way or Coast to Coast  (Read 19355 times)

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
Re: Pennine Way or Coast to Coast
« Reply #30 on: 21:57:23, 31/10/18 »
Thats one of the downsides of choosing a trail that is very hilly or mountainous the baggage handlers can`t just drive over the mountains they have to go around which takes much longer and uses a lot more deisel which is 30% more expensive than it was 8 months ago.Byrness to KY is over 60 mile round trip along mostly single track roads and takes over 2 hours and uses a fair bit of fuel.  It is there as an option, different people have different priorities.

I know but sadly for a solo walker on a budget, the baggage carrier isn't really an option. I guess if it was cheaper, maybe less people would give up and more would reach Byrness  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 06:40:47, 01/11/18 »
Think I'd have to be dead before I let someone else carry my kit  O0
Where there's a will ...

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 08:17:28, 01/11/18 »
Mrs N is happy for me to carry hers  O0
Solvitur Ambulando

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 08:43:18, 01/11/18 »
 ;D O0
Where there's a will ...

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 09:39:02, 01/11/18 »
I always seem to agree with you posts  O0 and I can't think of not carrying all my kit in this country.  However I am thinking of walking the Camino (French Way) next year and I am seriously thinking of having my "stuff" transferred daily.  I am trying to reconcile myself to this with the fact that it will be so much hotter there - don't tell anyone! :-\

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 10:24:12, 01/11/18 »
- don't tell anyone! :-\

Sssshhhh ... they'll hear you  ;D
Where there's a will ...

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 13:09:56, 01/11/18 »

I once had baggage transfer, and thought it was wonderful, but a bit of me thought it might be cheating a bit.  It was in France, and it was hot.
However, when I was on the Pennine Way (carrying everything) it was pointed out to me that in 10 years time it might be the only way I would still be able to do that kind of walk, and that then it would be better to give in on baggage transfer and do the walk than sit at home by the fire grumbling about age and infirmity.
I think I would rather let someone carry my bags than give up long distance walks.   And after all, you are meant to enjoy it, not endure it!

harland

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 13:49:06, 01/11/18 »
I know this sounds daft but when I have my rucksack on my back/hips I don't seem to feel the weight.  But when I was going to walk the last leg of my Land's End to John o'Groats walk earlier this year the hotel agreed that I could leave what I didn't need that day in reception.  The difference in weight was very noticeable!  My preference would always be to carry everything in my rucksack but if the only option would be to stay at home then there is no reason not to take the baggage transfer option on multi day walks.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 14:36:33, 01/11/18 »
I think I would rather let someone carry my bags than give up long distance walks.   And after all, you are meant to enjoy it, not endure it!

While I agree with that I suspect if you can walk a ldw you can carry a pack  ;)
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 16:30:14, 01/11/18 »
One small point about the Camino that I noticed this year. When hiking out of St Jean Pied du Port on the Route Napoleon, the GR65 to Roncevalles, Spain, take note that the first section is about 10km UPHILL to the first Refuge and mostly on tarmac. A bit of a plod! I stayed overnight in the Refuge, very nice, evening meal, breakfast and a dormitory bed, 36 euros. The next water point is 11km after that, if its really hot you may suffer, difficult to find shade! Its a bit better from then on. I was hiking towards St Jean Pied du Port from Roncevalles at the time and I saw and met some VERY thirsty people!

So far I have always carried my pack, I think I'd feel undressed without it! My load is not great and everything I carry is everything I use. I've met a lot of people over the years who carry so much!

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 22:25:04, 02/11/18 »

While I agree with that I suspect if you can walk a ldw you can carry a pack  ;)

We’ve done 6 LDWs and I suspect that if we hadn’t used a baggage carrier I might not have completed them all. I have weak shoulders and often have tendon problems and really struggled on the last few days of the Pennine Way even just carrying a daypack. Whilst I would love to carry all my stuff and probably could have done in my younger days I don’t think I would be able to now. And as others have said, better to use a bag carrier than not do the walk at all. 

tonyk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 23:56:08, 02/11/18 »

I agree.Its not really that big a deal carrying a 12-15kg pack,especially once you become used to it after 3-4 days.I am not young anymore but carrying a pack isn't a problem provided I slow my pace a bit when going uphill.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 08:44:22, 03/11/18 »

I couldn't lift a 12 -15 kg pack, leave alone carry it anywhere.  And I have never reached the point of forgetting it's there!
I have pared down what I carry on an LDP to such an extent that baggage transfer wouldn't make a huge difference, after all you always have to carry food, water, waterproofs and map and compass.  When I did do baggage transfer I took all manner of unnecessary stuff like posh clothes for the evening.
But, I do notice I can walk much further and faster without a pack, and when for some reason I only have day stuff (for instance on the PW we stayed 2 nights at Forest View), it wasn't so much that I noticed I wasn't carrying much the first day, more that we arrived at the pick up point an hour earlier than we expected, telling each other we should have done the Cheviots in a oner.  I didn't feel like that walking into Kirk Yetholm with the extra few pounds, we spent the whole of that last uphill bit blessing Forest View!
I know that a some people on this forum are ex forces and have been carrying big loads all their lives.  Us lesser mortals can't do it!  Not and walk as well!

dav

« Reply #43 on: 16:49:10, 03/11/18 »
It is a fact that the popularity with long distance routes these days, is down to there being bag carrying services available. You don't see many on these routes with big packs anymore, just day sacks usually. Those with camping packs are in the minority.If it wasn't for the bag carrying companies the numbers walking long distance routes would be drastically reduced as they couldn't do them without such a service.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 17:29:28, 04/11/18 »
It’s probably easy for those of who who always walk with a large pack to say that if you can walk an LDP you can carry all your stuff, I’m just pretty sure I wouldn’t have been able to. Not all our parts of the body work equally well!

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy