Author Topic: Kit List for the Ridgeway in March!  (Read 2181 times)

thisismusic

Kit List for the Ridgeway in March!
« on: 12:17:20, 13/02/09 »
I'm walking the Ridgeway in March as a sponsored walk for a primate charity in South Africa that I spent some time volunteering at.

This is my first run at the list so I’m bound to have left off something crucial and obvious!

50l rucksack with rain cover
Water proof trousers
Water proof jacket
Gaiters
Hiking boots
Brown cords (these are my walking trousers, very comfy)
Light cotton shirt
T shirt
x3 pairs socks
x3 pairs undies
Tent (Vango Spirit 200)
Sleeping bag
Thermarest mat
Penknife
x2 water containers (2l)
Mini Gas stove
Cooking pot
Tea, coffee, powered milk, sugar
Compass
Map
Phone
Camera

The following mostly for sleep-wear:

Base layers
Jogging bottoms
Warm jumper / fleece
Wooly hat & gloves

I’ll be buying food at pubs / shops along the way, but will take a few snacks and maybe a couple of wayfarer meals just in case. I’m also toying with the idea of a walking pole, but it seems a bit like overkill for walking the ridgeway – thoughts?
“It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty" - David Attenborough

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
Re: Kit List for the Ridgeway in March!
« Reply #1 on: 22:14:07, 13/02/09 »
Looks a reasonable list to me..
But....
Are you going to take a spoon/spork thingy in case you need to eat your emergency dinners/brewing up?
I usually take a little lighter for the stove as well - mine is supposed to light itself, but if it gets damp, sometimes it doesnt.
No toiletries on the list (they might not let you in the pubs..) You might consider something like cuticura alcohol-based gel (dont let it anywhere near your delicate bits, though!)
No first aid on your list- I'd be taking at least some blister dressings
I also be using two walking poles for backpacking - but its personal choice, obviously...
A couple of spare charged batteries for the camera....
Map case
dry bags for your clothes
I personally wouldnt use any cotton clothing as it's 'orrible and cold if/when it gets wet and after a few days you'll smell like a yak-herders spare girlfriend after a yak-dung wrestling contest on a hot day in the Gobi.
Hope this helps!

Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

thisismusic

« Reply #2 on: 22:30:44, 13/02/09 »
Haha thank you, some good additions there, I'll add those to the list.

I was hoping to get by without toiletries as it's just a few days but you may be right about getting kicked out the pub!

Any suggestions on an alternative to the cotton?
“It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty" - David Attenborough

mike knipe

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:47:33, 13/02/09 »
I don't think you need to go mad with the toiletries, you can get liquid soap in small plastic bottles. Then there's the toothbrush/toothpaste stuff- cut the weight by taking an almost finished tube...maybe a comb....?
One strategy might be to sit next to somebody who smells even worse than you do and blame them...
As far as tops/baselayers - you can get merino wool baselayers which are expensive unless you get them at Aldi, but they don't get niffy. (£40 in Cotswold, £6 in Aldi! - with the same manufacturer's labels on them too)) Walking tops from outdoor shops tend to be variations on polyester. You can also get very light micro fleeces which are useful. If you're on a budget, gelert stuff is reasonably priced and is OK - otherwise you pay for the name. Some of the "skiing" stuff in Aldi is also quite good and pretty cheap and , I guess would be fine.
For trousers, you could use another pair of jogging pants, or a pair of ronhill running pants. These dry very quickly and are light, although if you buy the tight versions, you might attract the wrong kind of attention in the more effete Southern pubs, or you'll look like Max Wall. You certainly won't need to use the rolled-up sock to emphasise ...er....stuff....   Get somethin baggier!
Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

See the blog!  www.northernpies.blogspot.com

thisismusic

« Reply #4 on: 23:10:37, 13/02/09 »
I'll go for the loose trousers I think. Don't want a rough [censored] to scupper my ability to walk through the chilterns.

I'll pop into Aldo and have a look for the merino wool baselayers - £6! Bargain!

johnny8b

« Reply #5 on: 16:14:21, 22/02/09 »
I am not sure when in March you are planning to go, but I walked the entire Ridgeway last week and it is very muddy!  The Avebury end still also had about a foot of snow which will only add to this as it melts. I use two poles and would say they are essential gear at the moment (or you may find yourself horizontal more than you anticipate).

Have fun!  :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy