Author Topic: Hadrians Wall  (Read 20436 times)

darksky

• Veteran Member
Re: Hadrians Wall
« Reply #30 on: 18:31:14, 24/09/07 »
8) Course I will Chris... as soon as i find some spare time to do it..... and do you want ALL the gory details!!??
But heres a pic of one of my fave places on the wall for you all to be going on with.
hey great pics..,can you see the dark shaddowy love heart shape?have you spotted it? let me know yeh nice 1.
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 18:41:48, 24/09/07 »
 i dont know much about Hadrians Wall all though when i was a kid at school our class went to look at it..,anyway do you walk the Wall,next to the Wall all the way? just abit intrigued thats all..,
'''get out there and experience as much as you can its beautiful and have yourself alotta fun doing it'''

Wendy

« Reply #32 on: 19:11:31, 27/09/07 »
 O0  MR BLISTER!!!!   didn't see any wild campers en route, the hadrians wall trust frown deaply on this! However there are some nice camp sites pretty near the route and there is a place in Wall that I see some peope wild camping. Cheap B&B's are hard to find unless you want to add a fair few miles on to your daily walk so my best bet would be YHA's.... cheap, chearful and on the path!!!   :D
;-)  HAPPY HIKING  ;-)

Wendy

« Reply #33 on: 14:10:43, 30/09/07 »
Oh and DARKSKY..... your not allowed to walk on any part of the wall apart from one short bit near housteads. The actual trail sometimes doesn't even follow the wall route and thats down to landowners. The forts are also off the route so if you plan to visit these, add a few extra miles each day to your itinery!! But its a great walk to do!! I'm gonna do it again in the winter...... hopefully it'll be snowing and I'll get some great pics!
;-)  HAPPY HIKING  ;-)

Wendy

« Reply #34 on: 14:14:20, 30/09/07 »
 ??? Darksky  ???  What shadowy heart shaped thingy.  I've been looking for ages and I can't see it!!!
;-)  HAPPY HIKING  ;-)

darksky

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 21:14:19, 30/09/07 »
i cant believe you cant see it..,its exactlly 4 and a half cm left from the tree at an angle, i dont know what it is but its a shape of a love heart..,

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 12:30:16, 01/10/07 »
If anyone interested there a few books on Hadrian's wall path which one costed me only £3:50.  Which  is called the essential guide to Hadrian's wall path N/trail, its a great little book as  it lists all camp site, youth hostels,barns and private hostels, Which we are planning to do next year! As one of our LDP.  The other book I bought is Hadrians wall path by Anthony burton.  You might find that some of these books are a little out dated.
« Last Edit: 12:33:06, 01/10/07 by walkinggirluk »
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 13:04:28, 01/10/07 »
If anyone interested there a few books on Hadrian's wall path which one costed me only £3:50.  The other book I bought is Hadrians wall path by Anthony burton.  You might find that some of these books are a little out dated.

Cheers, WG, I'll probably pick one of these fairly shortly. I'm starting to have doubts about this walk though, as a casual glance seemed to show quite a lot of road walking - unavoidable to some extent, but I'd rather avoid if at all possible.

Interesting that you should say about them being outdated, this is a concern I have with any maps as well.  The first leg of the charity walk I'm doing on Sat 13th follows the Wolds Way, and this has since been diverted, makes you wonder how many other trails are altered without the maps and guides showing them.  :(

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 13:42:19, 01/10/07 »
The only thing that I got  against this walk is that you walk right though Newcastle town centre.  Which as put me off a bit,  so now decided to walk from Newcastle to Carlisle which seems a little more romantic and less of the hassle and bustle that you might  expect from Newcastle. there is one that you could look at if you fancied it a long the borders of Britain it's called St Cuthbert's Way!! It's a little shorter than 85  miles as it's only 62 miles. Here something   about it and is still a National trail

Information
Recreational Route: Scotland/Northeast England
St Cuthbert's Way

Melrose to Lindisfarne 100km/62 miles

Lindisfarne seen from the causeway. Photo: Martin Brent, BritainonView

A pilgrimage path linking places where St Cuthbert started and finished his ministry in the 7th century. It covers a variety of terrain including the Eildon Hills, the river Tweed, the Roman Dere Street, the foothills of the Cheviots and Northumberland National Park. Easy except for a remote upland stretch between Kirk Yetholm and Wooler. The Scottish section forms a 51km link in European Path

peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #39 on: 06:09:25, 02/10/07 »
Hey, WG,

You might have something here .. looks good :).  Have you done this walk before?  I've just read that you can do it in four days, but that looks like it be extended, perhaps to include a section of the Borders Abbey Way.

This one appeals to me more than Hadian's Wall, primarily it is the road walking that puts me off, and the fact that the path doesn't follow the wall itself.  I understand the concerns the Trust must have, but I want to see the wall at all times and not have to divert just to see the point of why you're there in the first place.  :(

Thanks, this may be it.  ;)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: 10:17:17, 02/10/07 »
Hi blister! No I haven't done it I just happened to come across it, like you say it dose look interesting.  Like you said it could correspond in to a longer path! Now I didn't know that Hadrians wall you have to walk most by road I do know that you can't walk or climb any of it.  The only section where this happens is housesteads where its permitted,  I thought that you might like St Cuthbert's Way as this cross the Cherviots and cover a lot of moorland. Will I hoped I helped  ;D Plus it looks very romantic as well, there are book as well on this route I just found this out this walk touches Hadrians wall on the last day, so maybe this walk is for you  ;) see last page on stages here the link

www.scottish-walks.co.uk
« Last Edit: 10:26:22, 02/10/07 by walkinggirluk »

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #41 on: 16:23:53, 02/10/07 »
Now I didn't know that Hadrians wall you have to walk most by road I do know that you can't walk or climb any of it.  The only section where this happens is housesteads where its permitted

I just found this out this walk touches Hadrians wall on the last day, so maybe this walk is for you  ;) see last page on stages here the link
www.scottish-walks.co.uk

Thanks for the link, you're becoming my main walk councellor!  ;) Keep the tips coming.

Now, don't go quoting me about the road walking, that was just my impression from skimming through a few guide books, it seemed like every page showed a map with some road walking involved.  (I'm happy for anyone to correct me on this  :-\)

What attracts me to St. Cuthbert (you know in a by gone age, I might have been burned at the stake for saying that), is the way it links up historical sites, it always puts a spring in my step knowing that you're aiming for something interesting building or landmark. 

Not sure about the romantic element to it, I'll be going with a 35 year old bloke, and if he says to me "Isn't this romantic", I'll be doing a sharp 180 degree turn and heading back to Hadrian's wall  ;D

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 19:04:42, 02/10/07 »
LOl. Yeah to say the least,  I personnel haven't read up on it to  great expectation,  all I know about Hadrians wall is that it pre-dated back to AD historical history it dose say that it remote though but dose this mean in part or for most of it not sure,I been put off this as you got to walk though Newcastle.  Town centre, which mentioned before, I did the WHW LDP  which was really catastrophic to say the least. I also think it how far you like to travel the great glen way offers good views and Scotland is a beautiful place to visit whatever time of year I offered the  St Cuthbert way  as it only a 62miles long route as I didn't know how long you had to complete it, and I stubbed across this, it looks like an enjoyable route with breath taking views of moorland little road to walk down although you do have to cross some roads I shouldn't see this as a main problem.  Now you got me looking in to this one quite a bit, I like to see hadrians wall though.  As it of interest with a lot of characteristic statistics about it  O0

I could see it know both of you arm in arm in sunset lovely wont a perfect moment  ;)that would be lol!!! I thought you was going with your GF. ;D

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 19:23:36, 02/10/07 »
I could see it know both of you arm in arm in sunset lovely wont a perfect moment  ;)that would be lol!!! I thought you was going with your GF. ;D

Stop! I know he reads this site (though he doesn't contribute  ::)), you'll be giving him ideas.  :-*

To be honest, my GF doesn't like hiking much, and if she does come with me it's only when we have out lads with us.

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 09:28:24, 03/10/07 »
St Cuths

One of the least talked about walks, erm

The walk its self is still good lots of everything you want from a meduim walk, also lots of great places just of the walk to go and have a look at.
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy