Author Topic: How many LDPs have you done & what advice would you give others?  (Read 17213 times)

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Is that not an extreme example, Snowman?

Forgive my ignorance, but the pressure to perform would be just as great to some walking, say, the Coast 2 Coast as the GR10, 11 or 20 wouldn't it?.  It's all about how you perceive yourself and how you feel others perceive you isn't it? (Rather mature comment from the Blister man there  ;)) I think, generally, you have to get a measure of your limits and try to improve on it with experience.

Was just wondering, do you think it qualifies to complete a LDP in stages, other than as a continuous project?  In some cases, unless you have weeks to spare, would you have a choice?

But, yes, certainly, danger is to be had it not knowing when to call it a day!

Brian

I will just give my 'tuppence' in relation to completing a LDP in stages.

I do not think it matters how you complete it or how long it takes, the enjoyment should be in the walk itself and the satisfaction on its completion. A classic example is the circular Coastal Path of 95 miles on the Isle of Man. As the island is small I was able to complete it in 6 days walking using public transport daily from my home to the days starting point. I completed it during the winter and missed out a couple of days on purpose due to frost and ice on the ground and the path above the cliffs being very narrow, It was not worth the risk to end up on the rocks or in the sea. I waited for better weather and then completed the route.

There is another shorter LDP (The Millenium Way) of 31 miles of which I have completed 20 enjoyable miles over the hills and through the remoter countryside. this was done one day about 3 weeks ago but the reason I have not completed it yet is that so much of the remainder is on public roads, I would estimate about 12 miles of what is left to be on the highway and I am not a fan of walking on the roads for long distances. I will eventually do it and I will then consider that I will have 'completed' the walk

Brian
« Last Edit: 21:05:55, 02/05/07 by Brian »

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
That example of the circular coastal path is a good example of what I mean, Brian, though really, you did do it as a continous slog, didn't you?

I remember reading that some people have been walking the Appalchian Trail for 20 or so years, in stages, and still haven't completed it.  :P

Brian

Hi Again,

Not really a continuous slog, the 6 stages of the Coastal Walk were taken in approximately a two week period and the way the next part of the Millenium Way is going  it could be 2 stages over 2 months, however once I have done the next stage to the end I will then consider it done ;D

Unless I lived on a long distance path I would not have the patience to spend years to complete it, however that it just me and no disrespects to those that do, I tend to set myself a target and then go for it and unless anything untoward happened would hope to do it in one period. I suppose living on the Island and the cost of getting over and back a couple of times would also make it a lot more expensive ::)

All the Best
Brian

Snowman

MB - the example may be extreme, but the situation where a decision to 'retire' should be made is not.    It's not only ill equipped morons that get rescued in the mountains after all.   I'm really referring to situations where an unexpected factor enters the equation.    This could be weather conditions, lack of water, biting off more than you can chew ...

I agree with you that when you set out on a trek, wherever it is, the 'pressure to perform' is always there, usually self-imposed but peer pressure is also a consideration.     However I also believe that the unexpected might be around the next corner, wherever  you are, which is why I made the point.  You're quite right in your point about self-perception;  what I'm saying is that care should be taken that this perception doesn't override the safety of the individual (or group).

As to whether an LDP can be split into smaller chunks, it has to be in my case as my work does not allow me to take holidays in excess of 2 weeks.    In fact when Tony Drake devised the Cambrian Way, he actually defined the 3 sections into which it could be split, so he obviously felt there was nothing wrong with doing this.   A lot of people obviously follow his suggestions, since there is a book for Cambrian Way walkers to sign at YHA Capel-y-ffin, which asks how far the walker is going, and a large number state the end of Mr. Drake's first section as their objective for the trip.

S.

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Yeah, Snowman, I think overall that is great advice about knowing when to stop.  Thankfully, I've never had anything "unexpected" occur yet, but no doubt at some point I will, and then I shall remember your comments.

Shame Summitzero's away for a while, I'd like to hear his comments about LDPs in stages as I think, after all he's done, that he'd have a different perception about them.  I'm like you, my job (a crummy office affair) makes it impossible to take long periods away - I only get 25 days a year, so don't feel like I have much choice. But, hey, things can change, right  ;)

titaniumdude

Possibly the best thing about working for the NHS is the holiday time (42 days a year) and the fact that they will allow you to book several weeks consecutively if done so far in advance.  Of course this is offset by the fact that you may work 10 days or 8 nights in a row and have to chop and change between the two, but well you can't have it all ways.  Does make it easier to plan long trips though.  I have had 3 weeks booked off this september (with some recuperation time) to backpack the Pennine way.  I have done sections of the trail before and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I do think there is something immensely satisfying in taking on a LDP and seeing it through to the end.  I never use B&Bs once started and can't abide the idea of a bunkhouse/YHA deal so always carry verything.  It is definetely the most versatile way to do things.  When camping nothing stops you from spending extra time somewhere you fancy or adjusting you're itinerary due to unforeseen events.  I quite often plan to do things in 5 days and end up spending 7 or 8 just cos I can.  Though I do admit I like to have a day or 2 on return to sort dirty/wet kit and have a bit of a doss.
I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing

summitzero

• Veteran Member
Hi all

As has been stated before, it is all about the enjoyment you get yourself when walking that matters the most and if that means breaking LDPs up into stages then so be it, after all some of them can take a good chunk of the year to plan, walk and complete.

However i do believe that their is something special about starting and finnishing a LDP in one go, for me its a perfect high, because you have kept going when things go wrong and your body is hurting.

I think if anyone dissmises anybodies claims because they did a LDP in stages rather then in one big chunk, then they are really missing the whole point of why we walk in the first place. ;)

Also the guide book for the WHW, the cirronie one, was completed over two stages, spilt over two years, i believe.
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

Brian

Reference my last posting above (25/3/07)

I finished the last stage of the Millenium Way Today and although I enjoyed the scenery - (Undulating and seeing hills from a different angle), I can honestly say that I do not like walking on tarmac/concrete surfaces and my feet definately do not like it  :o. I now have a lot of admiration for those that do the long distance walking competitions and the training that they must do. However back to the walk, I can now tick that off as finished albeit in 2 stages with a 4 week gap

Brian

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Good for you, Brian ...

As you say, nothing wrong with the four week gap.  I'll have to Google the Millenium Way, sounds kinda interesting.

I hate road walking, though I guess at times it's unavoidable.

Have you decided which trail to try next?

All the best, B.

Brian

The Millenium Way is only a short walk which could be completed in a day, 24miles,  I included a little bit more scenic coastal footpaths around the northern part of the island and made it up to 31 miles which was completed over 2 days.

After I have done the C2C in June I think I have made my mind up on doing the Ridgeway Walk, mainly because it finishes approx 20 miles from where my son lives, which makes it easier to leave the car with him, and there's a good train link to get to the start at Avebury.

After that it is a toss up between the Cotswold Way, South Down Way or Hadrians Wall, My wife suggests the Hadrians Wall so that she can spend a week shopping in Newcastle ::) ::) ::) ::)

Brian

unixnut

Hi Brian,

Train link to Avebury ? No railway there - the one on the OS map to Marlborough is disused (walked it many times). Perhaps you have extra transport from Swindon?

So far I did the Lyke Wake and Ten Tors and just last month the Pennine Way.

Some tips -
If you're walking alone then take an MP3 player with you and add to it two kinds of stuff -
1) Audiobooks - I bought Simon Schama's 'History of Britain' (all 3 CD sets) and ripped them to MP3s. Also Alfred Lansing's 'Endurance' and some other stuff that changes topic every 30 minutes (like a collection of biographies). This lot will let the miles slip by unnoticed.
2)Something rousing - My preference is Rock or Russian military stuff. Something to take you out of the lows that inevitable hit. Saved me a few times.
I took a charger and stole electricity where I could. My MP3 player has a 24 hour battery life anyway so that's good for 3 days. Alternatively solar panel chargers have come a long way now.

I pre-plan my routes and download them all to my GPS. Then for each day select the appropriate route. Because the route has a start and finish for each day, the function to show how many miles to the (today's) end it can really lift you when you see there's only 3 miles left (after having done say 13 already).

Get friendly with housebricks. Really. I worked out that each of mine weighs 4.8kg so I wrapped three in old cloths and added them to the pack for training walks. I still keep them for old time's sake (white van pulling up outside and men in white coats getting out ...).

My personal method for getting out of bed, day after day and getting on with it is to 'attack' it. Get up early, breakfast and on the road ASAP. That way any delays or slow progress with a heavy pack won't stress you out by running out of darkness. And you can a little extra time to see things on the way.

Another one I found is down to a triathlete friend of mine. Instead of water I add some SiS Go Electrolyte to my drink. It's a glucose/carb thing. I found that it does two things:
1) Because it puts back the minerals and salts that I lose by sweating, at the end of the day I'm not drained and I no longer have headaches on the longer hot days. The headaches I think were a sign of dehydration and another affect of this additive is that it allows me to retain more of the water I drink instead of it going straight through me.
2) It's sweet tasting and I feel a mental boost by taking a glug from my bite-tube whilst going up steep landscape features. I think it's like getting a sugar boost. Whether it actually works or not I like the placebo effect and push on faster than I would otherwise. I can recommend the lemon & lime flavour.

If your feet are getting sore or wet with sweat, have a spare pair of inner and outer socks in a quick access pocket of your pack and do a sock change halfway through (or later) the day. When you do it let your feet dry in the breeze for a couple of minutes. Once changed you'll notice a definite improvement in foot comfort.

More as/if I think of them...
« Last Edit: 12:39:37, 21/05/07 by unixnut »

kkm

just a quick update for you......

pennine way walk is still on for me and my companion.  and we kick on 9th july.

thanks to all for their advice - keep it coming!

tonyk

• Veteran Member
 Summitzero wrote
1. What LDPs have you done
2. what your best bit of advice
3. where and when is your next LDP

Most of the long distance trails in the UK and a couple in the French and Swiss Alps.Over the last 25 years I have clocked up about 5000 miles backpacking long distance trails.

Best bit of advice? know when to call it a day as its no use pushing a body beyond its limits and suffering permanent injury.Go home,see where you went wrong,correct the problems through new kit or better training,and then have another go.My first attempt at a longdistance walk,the Peakland Way,was a disaster and I quit after three days with skinned feet and shoulders.Three months later,with a new pair of boots and pack,I completed the Coast to Coast without any problems.

Next walk? Not too sure but it will be in September.
« Last Edit: 12:09:06, 20/07/07 by tonyk »

Snowman

There seems to have crept on to this site recently a great deal of posts suggesting a reliance on GPS systems?    From the point of view of LDPs my personal point of view is that they are good for emergencies but not for exclusive use.

Firstly, batteries.    As I've mentioned before, mine is a little old but uses 4 AA batteries a day.    This means that on a week's LDP I'd need to set out with 28 batteries, a load I can really do without.    And what do you do with them when they run out?    I hope you don't dump them behind a bush.

Secondly, the apparent reliance on these devices is a little worrying, since they are electronic instruments that could break, run out of battery ...    Some LDPs have sections that do require good map reading skills, and if you're a bit rusty because you've been navigating exclusively with a GPS you could find yourself in real trouble.

Of course a compass might break as well (although I believe it's a while yet before the Earth's magnetic force is due to run out), so a backup compass isn't a bad idea, weighs a lot less than batteries or a spare GPS, and only costs a few quid.

My advice is therefore don't rely on these things, by all means take them as backup, perhaps to check that you are where you think you are, but if you don't know how to do the job properly you could end up in a whole heap of trouble.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy