Author Topic: Most tedious bit of Trail  (Read 7855 times)

rambling minster

Re: Most tedious bit of Trail
« Reply #15 on: 09:26:05, 29/08/16 »
And I thought the rock hopping before Cauldron Snout (Falcon Clints?) was quite fun!

yes, i thought it fun too and i think i saw a ring ouzel there too O0

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 11:29:32, 29/08/16 »
That was one part I'll avoid next time, found it rather tedious rock hopping etc, although as Cauldron Snout was in full flow I was glad to have done it.
Where there's a will ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 13:10:11, 29/08/16 »
Cauldron Snout approach not quite as bad as I expected. The scramble up was a bit taxing as I think I might have gone too high too soon. All in all not bad at all. Vertigo never kicked in. However the weather was good so the rocks were dry. The bit between thetop of the Snout along the road was easy but to be honest just miles to be walked until you strike downhill to cross the
Maize Beck then it becomes interesting and a great walk up to High Cup Nick. At which point I was so happy that I had started the walk.
Too little, too late, too bad......

jea_p

« Reply #18 on: 12:47:59, 30/08/16 »
I found the tidal stretch bit (approaching Bowness-on-Solway) of Hadrian's Wall pretty tedious, not because of the trail conditions (you're walking on a road) but the monotonous nature of this section.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:34:07, 30/08/16 »
If we're talking about Hadrians Wall path, the whole of the stretch between Wallsend and Heddon On The Wall (about 20 miles) is a waste of a days walking, nearly all on tarmac and noisy.
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

ron6632

« Reply #20 on: 18:04:09, 19/09/16 »
If we're talking about Hadrians Wall path, the whole of the stretch between Wallsend and Heddon On The Wall (about 20 miles) is a waste of a days walking, nearly all on tarmac and noisy.

TBH, most of Hadrians Wall Path is a disappointment.  I should point out that the central section, once it gets going, is outstanding and is arguably some of the best trail in the country, but the fact the path mostly sticks rigidly to the line of the wall makes much of the route a boring trudge next to an increasingly busy road!

Had the route meandered off the wall between sites, it could have been a much more rewarding (but rather longer) walk.  In fact, the final stretches from around Greenhead to Bowness-on-Solway were enjoyable paths through farmland and (generally) away from any roads.

The three mile straight section of road is a killer, though!

Jamborod

« Reply #21 on: 15:08:49, 22/10/16 »
Good thread and hope you don't mind me adding to it for my first post.

Have done eight National Trails in England and Scotland and now on my ninth and if there is a duller section of trail anywhere in the UK than the Merstham to Oxted section of the North Downs Way I really don't want to imagine it.

Yes, I know the North Downs Way was there before the M25 and walking in the autumn sunshine is preferable to being indoors but there's not a lot to commend this: interminable woodland walking with the distant (and not too distant) thrum of motorway traffic keeping you company for most of the eight miles.

Colin Saunders in the official Aurum guide somehow manages to pick out 14 things to look out for but I'd take issue with the verb 'look' given that you can't actually see some of them (Pilgrim Fort - hidden, Marden Park - 0.8 miles to the north and Oxted Railway Tunnel - underneath you and out of sight). And when you do get to a viewpoint - Caterham viewpoint or Oxted viewpoint, guess what you see? Yup, the M25 again.

Give me an up and down stretch of Hadrian's Wall any day!

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: 15:41:52, 22/10/16 »
Hi Jambored, welcome to the forum. Thanks for the warning.
Too little, too late, too bad......

JohnnieT

« Reply #23 on: 17:36:07, 14/05/17 »
A9

John Walker

« Reply #24 on: 19:47:40, 14/05/17 »
if there is a duller section of trail anywhere in the UK than the Merstham to Oxted section of the North Downs Way I really don't want to imagine it.

Yes, have to agree with Jamborod about this stretch of the North Downs Way.  I've nearly completed the NDW now http://www.greenlives.org.uk/ndw.html and quite a few stages seem to be scarred by motorways and fly-tipping... :(

Still the wildlife and nature are good - lots of raptors, bunnies and wild flowers.  Maybe too many trees which can spoil the views sometimes.  But I guess no one is going to chop them down just for my benefit.  I think it's one of the quietest National Trails I've done (I mean you don't meet many other walkers) but maybe Jamborod and I now realise why ;)

Anyway, I'm going to complete it, at least as far as Canterbury.  There are some real gems in amongst the dross.... :)
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

johhnyp

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: 19:58:55, 14/05/17 »
Barnstaple section of swcp. Cycle path for psychopaths. Hadrians wall on PW..knowing you still have 15 miles to go

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #26 on: 08:18:56, 15/05/17 »
Barnstaple section of swcp. Cycle path for psychopaths.

Agreed - cyclists and walkers not a very good combination at the best of times. We avoided some of it between Barnstaple and Bideford by taking a footpath nearer the shore.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

alewife

• Veteran Member
« Reply #27 on: 08:45:56, 15/05/17 »
Generally some of the road sections of the C2C, specifically, about 1 mile on a fast windy road just before Reeth, and the bit after the lion pub, oh and the roadworks section around Catterick, though this is temporary.
Alewife

...beware of the bull!

Peakandfell

« Reply #28 on: 08:54:29, 15/05/17 »
There's a bit on The Lyke Wake Walk on the North York Moors where the path follows an old railway line on cinders. It's not difficult or anything, but from what I remember it is around the 20 mile mark and it's just a soul destroyer. Mind numbing walking.
There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing.
Peak and Fell Outdoor Gear Store [nofollow]

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #29 on: 04:34:22, 24/05/17 »
Cleveland Way between Scarborough and Filey caravans !
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy