Author Topic: here's a ?  (Read 4996 times)

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
here's a ?
« on: 09:24:43, 13/04/07 »
Here a question for you if you could meet up with a famous walker who would it be and why

Mine would have to be Sir Hugh Munro.
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
Re: here's a ?
« Reply #1 on: 11:12:16, 13/04/07 »
Ah ... but why??

Mine would have to be John Hillerby (because he used to hiking in tennis shoes!!)

Or .. John Merrill, because he was demon walker, and had a great beard!  ;D

Crag Rat

« Reply #2 on: 13:20:06, 13/04/07 »
Without doubt it would have to be George Mallory - I 'd love to know whether he beat Hillary & Tensing to the top of Everest.  When you look at the equipment and clothing that Mallory and Irvine used in the early 20's it was remarkable that they managed to get anywhere near the top at all!
....because it's there....

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 14:22:38, 13/04/07 »
walkinggirluk its nice to see you again ;D

Would you ask him why he forgot to count two of the Munros   ;)

(Is this where i get feathered and tarred)   ;D
Are we there yet ?   http://walkingforlife.piczo.com

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:51:17, 13/04/07 »
Hugh Munro not sure why i just had a thought this morning when i was having toast and on the site and just had this thought(Yes i know it's abit mad).But what the hell hay anyhow.  About meeting famous walker/or a well know walker and what i would say to them if i met them i did have a moment thou of sitting on top of Ben Nevis and Hugh Munro just pop up at the summit as i was eating my sandwhich thou. LOL. i would ask him why he made the list but than again.  Why not hay and why Scotland and not the whole of the uk biggest Mountains. Or why he did'nt try to climb  Everest

Just for you SZ i did ask him about the two Munros  but he said he could'nt be A...D to climb them. no i think he died
peace and tranquillity in the countryside. clean your rubbish up after you  respect it.

clean it bin it

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:32:03, 14/04/07 »
Top reply  ;D
Yeah that death thing really [censored] up your walking.

Id ask wainwright what he did in his spare time.  :D

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 22:53:59, 15/04/07 »
Top reply  ;D
Yeah that death thing really [censored] up your walking.

Id ask wainwright what he did in his spare time.  :D
LOL.  Probably soak his feet in a electric foot spa or pick all the hard skin of his feet.
« Last Edit: 01:01:24, 16/04/07 by walkinggirluk »

clean it bin it

summitzero

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 02:02:44, 17/04/07 »
What a thought  :-\

You never know, he'd most prob write a book on it   ;D

(Ouch.. i bet i've upset someody, sorry  ;))

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 08:54:48, 18/04/07 »
Just to get back to the point here ...  ::)

I'd like to meet Mark Wallington.  Have just finished reading Pennine Walkies, and I'm not convinced he actually did it.

I want to find out what part 'Boogie' really played in his walks!

walkinggirluk

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:15:08, 18/04/07 »
Just to get back to the point here ...  ::)

I'd like to meet Mark Wallington.  Have just finished reading Pennine Walkies, and I'm not convinced he actually did it.

I want to find out what part 'Boogie' really played in his walks!

So why are you not convinced he did it than.  Who is Boogie.  I've been trying to get hold of this book for ages.  T he only place that as it is E-bay for £5:00 as the shops have stop sell it.  I've been told that its really funny.

clean it bin it

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 11:08:47, 18/04/07 »
Hey there, WGUK

I'm going to have to digree into a little literary criticism here.

It's that it is so funny that I think is the problem.  As a read it is a darn good one, as is his other "Boogie" books - 500 Mile Walkies, Boogie Up the River.

But what i would like to know is where does the anecdote stop, and fancy take over.  The book is full of funny stories that he and Boogie get up to, but some of them seem so ridiculous that they just can't be true, and so he must be making more of them.  I suppose I was exagerrating a little, I'm sure Wallington walked the Pennine Way, I'd just like to know how much of what he describes is true.

Sorry, if I've upset any Wallington fans out there  :P.  Boogie incidently is his city dog, brought up on a diet of curries and Eastenders!

I wouldn't pay £5.00 for it, I'd wait until you see it cheap in a secondhand bookshop somewhere, you can also get his 500 Mile Walkies and Boogie Up the River in one paperback.

myzeneye

« Reply #11 on: 01:49:58, 21/04/07 »
talking of books i read joe simpsons touching the void not long ago, id seen the film a few years ago but the book was outstanding... must read some of his others... any recomendations ?

id like to meet up with simon yates and talk to him about the descisions he made..... and joe too, after shattering a femur and left forearm  myself in pretty bad circumstances, the magnitude of  his ordeal really hit home for me.....

;)

Crag Rat

« Reply #12 on: 19:17:41, 22/04/07 »
All of Joe Simpson's other books are good.  If you enjoyed TTV then try This Game of Ghosts which he wrote afterwards.  It's great and also tells the story of his accident on Palermo (I think).  If you enjoyed TTV you might want to try some of these as well:

Between A Rock and a Hard Place - Aaron Ralston
Life and Limb - Jamie Andrew
Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer

Each of these is a real cracker showing triumph over adversity.
....because it's there....

Mr. Blister

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:11:58, 23/04/07 »
Hi there, Crag Rat,

I thought "Between a Rock and a Hard Place" was fantastic, have you happened across Krakauer's "Into the Wilderness" before - his account of the life and death of Chris McCandless?

I found this book so invigorating I read it in a single sitting  :o

Regards

Snowman

« Reply #14 on: 13:20:00, 24/04/07 »
I once exchanged a couple of emails with Cameron McNeish (TGO ed).    He seemed like the sort I could sit down and enjoy a chat with over a few pints.

S.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy