Author Topic: CW accommodation query  (Read 1651 times)

henryb

• Veteran Member
CW accommodation query
« on: 18:24:00, 06/03/17 »
I'm thinking of doing the Cumbria Way in future. I prefer to stay in guest houses/B &B's. Can I ask where CW walkers stay when they reach Coniston/Great Langdale and Borrowdale? I'm assuming there are not that many places to stay in these villages. Would it be normal practice to get a bus to Ambleside or Keswick upon arrival and then return the next day to continue the walk? Thanks, Henry

Percy

• Veteran Member
Re: CW accommodation query
« Reply #1 on: 18:36:08, 06/03/17 »
Coniston and Borrowdale have youth hostels alongside various b&bs, pubs and hotels. It's more limited in Great Langdale but there is the hotel at Old Dungeon Ghyll, various b&bs (E.g. Millbeck Farm), I think the pubs there do  accommodation too. Not sure though as I usually camp at the farm near Chapel Stile.

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 19:21:39, 06/03/17 »

We shortened the first day a bit as we had travelled up that morning to the start.  We stayed at one of the pubs in Torver, but I think both of them do b&b.  There are b&bs in Chapel Stile in Langdale, but they were all full when we came through, so we walked over to Little Langdale and stayed at the Three Shires.  In Borrowdale we stayed at a b&b in Stonethwaite, can't remember it's name, but there is a pub there which is right on the path and does b&b.  I think I found them all on line.
When I rang to book the Three Shires they only accepted 2 night bookings at the weekend, so I went through Booking.com which let me book a single night.
Hope that's helpful. It's a wonderful walk.

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 20:15:50, 06/04/17 »
Thanks guys. Has anyone ever done the CW as a solo hiker? If so, is it possible to get a package which is geared at solo walkers which takes care of accommodation and baggage transfer?

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 20:27:34, 06/04/17 »
This link may be of help Henry (unless you have already looked at it of course  :))

http://www.cumbriaway.org/accommodation.html

I remember forum member Kukudrill did this last year or the year before but he camped en route, I think.
Hate will never win

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 20:47:41, 06/04/17 »
I did it last year also but I stayed the nights at Conniston, Borrowdale and Skiddaw House youth hostels. I don't really like B&B's as I just like to get up and away early rather than hang about waiting for a breakfast  O0
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

Islandplodder

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:45:16, 06/04/17 »

We stayed at Skiddaw House hostel as well, and were the only ones in that night.
Worth staying there just for the experience.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:37:35, 07/04/17 »
When I get the chance I want to stay a night in a camping pod. They look a good idea. Perhaps an alternative as an inbetween a tent and B& B?

henryb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:44:02, 12/04/17 »
Thanks all, great website April wasn't aware of that before now :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy