Author Topic: First time hiking  (Read 821 times)

J_Thorpe

First time hiking
« on: 17:57:00, 24/05/09 »
Just a couple of pointers would be appreciated.

My partner and I, our daughter (8) and my younger sister (12) are all going on a hiking/camping holiday up to the lake district this summer, taking our two dogs. We're all of good fitness, and all enjoy new challenges. I'd just like to know if anybody has any suggestions as to where in Cumbria we should take a look at?

We don't need to be on complete flat ground all the way, but we can't hike on ascents so deep that the children wouldn't enjoy it.

Many thanks...Jonny

fazzle

Re: First time hiking
« Reply #1 on: 09:30:00, 29/05/09 »
Maybe try posting in the Lake District section...

you may get more of a response. Research Keswick for a beautiful place to stay.
Will.

goldberry1

« Reply #2 on: 11:57:18, 29/05/09 »

It's nice around Ullswater - you can keep near to the lake where there are some good walks and you're near dramatic higher stuff too.

I like Conniston - quiet and mysterious - but be careful if you walk around the visitor's centre in Grizedale Forest - it's easy to get lost!

Langdale and Elter Water my favourites too.

bigjonny

« Reply #3 on: 12:55:31, 29/05/09 »
For a 'introduction to the Lakes', I would really recommend a route that involves Latterbarrow, Claiffe Heights, West side of Windermere, Wray and Hawkshead.
A beautiful days walking with plenty of scenery, which isn't too taxing on the young ones! I took my wife here one crisp January day as an introduction to the Lakes and she loved it!
Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
Bob Dylan

J_Thorpe

« Reply #4 on: 01:00:29, 31/05/09 »
Many thanks i'll keep these ideas in mind, i've been to ullswater fishing for a day, stayed in ulverston and thats the only time ive been there so...

my partner's been to hawkshead though and says it's nice.

Probably try going back to ullswater...thanks..

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy