Author Topic: Evening walk Photos  (Read 6948 times)

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Evening walk Photos
« on: 13:09:13, 28/05/17 »
All my adult life I have been making the most of after work evenings, back in the day our focus was more climbing/bouldering, nowadays the pendalum has swung to the walking end of the spectrum.

Twice a week would see a manic after work race out of the city, meet up with friends followed by a punishing upper body workout, a must for adrenalin junkies like us, more rush than ten radical fairground rides.

Back to the car in the half light, tired and weary, red glow long gone, dew forming underfoot, white stars, well Venus, maybe Mars, as bats flit across darkening skies.

We are pub bound, a quick pint with mates, then back to the daily grind all to soon.

The hours of pre dawn and dusk are by far the best times of the day for photos so feel free to contribute your late in the day adventures complete with your golden hour photos..........

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
Re: Evening walk Photos
« Reply #1 on: 13:12:05, 28/05/17 »
Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, tree, plant, grass, outdoor and nature

An evening shot of Roseberry Topping

Image may contain: grass, sky, outdoor and nature

Looking back from the top of Roseberry Topping
« Last Edit: 13:18:01, 28/05/17 by midweekmountain »

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:29:36, 30/05/17 »
Image may contain: bird, outdoor and nature

Curlew chick

On an evening walk round Darrowgill in North Yorkshire movement caught my eye it was a small chick ducking between clumps of heather. I look closer,  there are three of them trapped between us and a wall.  I move in and take a quick snap, the parents arrive, two magnificent curlews circling round us.

They are obviously distressed so we retreat quickly and leave them in peace.

Image may contain: sky, cloud, horse, outdoor and nature

Could not resist this shot as we walked back to the car as the sun was setting.

Innominate Man

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 22:47:49, 30/05/17 »
All my adult life I have been making the most of after work evenings, back in the day our focus was more climbing/bouldering, nowadays the pendalum has swung to the walking end of the spectrum.

Twice a week would see a manic after work race out of the city, meet up with friends followed by a punishing upper body workout, a must for adrenalin junkies like us, more rush than ten radical fairground rides.

Back to the car in the half light, tired and weary, red glow long gone, dew forming underfoot, white stars, well Venus, maybe Mars, as bats flit across darkening skies.

We are pub bound, a quick pint with mates, then back to the daily grind all to soon.

The hours of pre dawn and dusk are by far the best times of the day for photos so feel free to contribute your late in the day adventures complete with your golden hour photos..........

This description makes me all bleary eyed.
I don't have a photo unfortunately but the view West just now is of a really fabulously coloured sky. I'm sure it's something similar to that on the cover of ' Hotel California ' ... I just need to be a bit more adept with the camera to do it justice  :(    
Only a hill but all of life to me, up there between the sunset and the sea. 
Geoffrey Winthrop Young

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 07:47:00, 02/06/17 »
This description makes me all bleary eyed.

Some people say climbing is a mispent youth BUT my memories tell me different.

I don't have a photo unfortunately but the view West just now is of a really fabulously coloured sky. I'm sure it's something similar to that on the cover of ' Hotel California ' ... I just need to be a bit more adept with the camera to do it justice

Sunset photos are ten a penny without a subject.

To make em SPECIAL you need a SPECIAL subject.........YES, just like that TREE on the hotel californian cover. 

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 07:50:47, 02/06/17 »
Another walk near Brimham and we find the first Poppy's ofmthe year.

Image may contain: plant, flower, sky, nature and outdoor

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:05:49, 02/06/17 »
Some people say climbing is a mispent youth BUT my memories tell me different.

Agreed O0  so do mine.

Elsewhere on this forum a reference to Mur y Niwl stirred a memory for me, of standing out in the void with wisps of mist around my ankles. I think that weekend we climbed the white line on the A5 from the the Douglas Arms, Bethesda to Tyn y Maes all of 2.5 miles. The large lorries of Aber Carriers were returning to base, perhaps were should have been pasted to the centre-line of the road like squashed hedgehogs.

When we reached our cottage at Tyn y Maes, I suggested the road surface was too difficult to climb directly to the cottage door so we climbed to the south side of the road then rigged climbing ropes to do a Hintertoisser traverse across to the other side. As we removed the ropes from between the telegraph poles one last Aber Carrier wagon came roaring down the Nant Francon pass. I still feel ashamed today that I made the suggestion that could have changed a foolhardy venture into a tragedy.

However the sound of our laughter echoing off the hillsides and probably heard as far as Ogwen Cottage still rings in my ears.

« Last Edit: 10:09:00, 02/06/17 by barewirewalker »
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 22:35:39, 02/06/17 »
An "evening walk" along the road from Wasdale youth hostel towards Wasdale Head. After a rainy day, the sun came out and gave me lovely views of the surrounding hills including, in the photo, Yewbarrow, Kirk Fell, Great Gable and Lingmell and then further round more of Scafell Pike and Scafell.

LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 11:21:32, 03/06/17 »
Wow, those pictures are beautiful, Bricam...  O0   It looks so serene.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 11:03:46, 04/06/17 »
Image may contain: sky, cloud, mountain, ocean, outdoor, nature and water

Ben Cruachan from my camp in Glen Etive in April

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:44:12, 20/06/17 »
Image may contain: outdoor and water

One of the subjects for photo comps this year is reflections so on our evening walks this year we have been making a point of walking by water.

Got some great shots here are a few of the also rans.

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, outdoor, nature and water

Image may contain: plant, outdoor, water and nature

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 20:57:16, 28/06/17 »
Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, outdoor and nature

This summer we seem to be choosing to walk by water a lot on an evening, this pair were taken at Evestones if anyone on here knows it. The main footpath in the area is the Ripon Rowel.

On this night we arrived just too late, missing the best of the light, had to make do with these shots. 

We went back an hour earlier a couple of nights later and got some keepers!!!!!

Image may contain: plant, tree, sky, outdoor, nature and water

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 09:06:50, 29/06/17 »
Image may contain: plant, bird, grass, outdoor and nature

The Peacocks (A)ss

This evening walk was alomg the embankment in the Howardian Hills if anyone on here knows it.

Back in the day it was one of my fave running areas so I know it well BUT have not been here for a while. I have never really been impressed with the landscape photos taken hereabouts so on this night we concentrated on other subjects.

To finish off we went down to Nunnington Hall which was closed BUT we wandered round the outer gardens coming across a very impressive Peacock who raised up his magnificent display feathers for us.

Now everyone is familiar with the classic peacock front view BUT this was the first time I have seen or had chance to phuto the Peacocks (a)ss which is almost as impressive.

Image may contain: plant, flower, outdoor and nature

Its that time again and its a bumper crop this year.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 09:32:37, 29/06/17 »
A nice photo of the poppies MWM, and an unusual one of the peacock too.  I must admit I am not a great lover of your "arty" shots.  They are very cleverly done and I know that a lot of people like them, but they are not to my taste and personally I prefer a photo to look natural.

midweekmountain

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:42:08, 30/06/17 »
Thanks for the feedback Dave, please feel free to add future comments-one thing you learn very quickly when you start entering photo comps or exhibiting photos is that you are ALWAYS gonna get critised so I am well used to it.

You cannot keep all of the people happy all the time!!!!!!!

The one thing that frustrates me about folks who post photos on here is that many look so samey they post a walk report with up to 20 distant pure landscapes.

No people shots, no wildlife, no close ups, scrolling though 20 average landscapes when one good snap would tell the story at a glance.

When I go on a walk I always feel that I am surrounded by many interesting subjects so my objective rightly or wrongly has been to always try and add variety tp my posts, here is an example from an old post.

The object of this post was to use my photo backlog too generate a bit of variety to the forum so there would be a little something for everyone with an interest in walking.

Subjects covered:-

Skye Ridge walk, Walking in Sardinia, Sea Canoeing in Sardinia, Lake District Landscapes, Scrambling in thr Peak District, Bouldering at Brimham, Ilkey Landscape, Rannock Moor Landscape, Scottish winter mountaineering, Walking in Shropshire, Munro Bagging, Scottish Island Landscapes,, Vintage Cars, Welsh Landscapes, Geology, Walks in the Yorkshire Wolds, Canadian Wildlife, Urban Landscapes, Classic Rock Climbing in the Lakes, Blue Bell vistas, Scottish Ridgewalking, Live music, Seascape photos, Ornithology Photos, Walks in London, Pie eating, Architectural photos, Gritstone Landscape, Hunting photos, Sea cliff climbing, Subterranian walking, Natural History, Train Spotting, Breaking News stories, Poppy Fields, Mountaineering in the USA, Scottish Rock Climbing, Walking in the North Yorkshire Moors, Walking in Northern Scotland, East Coast Landscapes, Photos of my 'Shed of the Year', White water Kayaking, Gypsy horse fair photos, Scrambling walk in Langdale, Lavender Landscapes, Animal  action photos,  and finally walking in the Yorkdhire Dales.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy