Author Topic: Glyndwrs Way  (Read 4071 times)

Slogger

• Veteran Member
Re: Glyndwrs Way
« Reply #15 on: 16:53:34, 19/08/17 »
Thanks for your write up, very interesting and one route on my list to do.

rambling minster

« Reply #16 on: 10:55:20, 20/08/17 »
interesting reports, chaps

i have always been curious about this long distance trail as it gets so little publicity and so few folk appear to have walked it

not sure i like the idea of too much walking on tarmac, but it may still be one that i will try some day

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 18:38:56, 20/08/17 »
I forgot to mention. The owner of a camping site told me that last year about 300 people hiked the Glydwrs Way. Could this be true? I have no idea.

jea_p

« Reply #18 on: 08:20:07, 21/08/17 »
Glad you enjoyed it too Gunwharfman, and am also glad that I didn't have to camp - £15 for  slopping field would have soured the day for me as well. I can very much believe that such a small number of people do the route. When I walked it I saw maybe 2 or 3 couples walking the whole route and you mentioned that no one crossed your path. Between us we've covered 2/3's of August (prime walking time) with noticeably fewer walkers then other routes, which must be indicative of a less popular / well known walk. My final day was in Knighton and everyone I saw was doing Offa's Dyke.

I forgot to add that I was slightly disappointed with the start and finish point for the walk. Other National Trails I've done have a monument, large rock with plaque or big sign to signify start and end. All I remember seeing for the end of this one (by the Clock Tower) was a sign with the acorn - perhaps I missed something. 

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #19 on: 14:21:58, 21/08/17 »
Yes, acorns all over the place!

mow1701

« Reply #20 on: 18:36:12, 05/10/17 »
Hi

picking your brains some more. Is the pub at Abbeycwnhir(Happy Union) open? I believe it doesn't do food but beers is always good after a days walking.  :)
« Last Edit: 18:39:50, 05/10/17 by mow1701 »

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #21 on: 21:16:53, 05/10/17 »
It was, but only opened from 8.0pm and did not do food. The beer was good though. For me. it was so depressing, I'd walked all day, found a lovely spot to camp (and free!) in the Abbey field next door and all I had to eat was a packet of crisps. When I strolled off the next morning the long grass was covered in a heavy dew, as I walked up the hill and looked back I could clearly see my boot tracks where I had disturbed the wet grass. Nice place!

eddycreative

« Reply #22 on: 12:31:30, 06/10/17 »
Fantastic Write up! :)

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy