Author Topic: A device to help the put on bags.  (Read 2913 times)

nS321

A device to help the put on bags.
« on: 16:48:32, 16/09/17 »
Hi,
I am a design engineering student, and i indent to design and make a device to help older/elderly walkers put on and take off bags whilst outdoors. The device has the aim to ensure walking easier and more enticing for older/elderly walkers. I am currently brainstorming ideas, and i am in need of feedback for these ideas, and would therefore welcome any feedback on the idea, and also future designs and ideas. Thanks for your help in advance!
Neil.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
Re: A device to help the put on bags.
« Reply #1 on: 16:59:33, 16/09/17 »
Hi Neil and welcome to the forum.  I think you may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.  I am in my 70's and never have any problem putting my bag on, and have never met any other older walkers who have had difficulty doing so.  If they were so infirm that they had difficulty putting a bag on, they probably wouldn't be walking anyway!

Penygadair

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 15:52:25, 17/09/17 »
I'll second Devon Dave's comments.  But, I could use a device to help me put socks on while standing on one leg.  :D

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 16:24:21, 17/09/17 »
I'll second Devon Dave's comments.  But, I could use a device to help me put socks on while standing on one leg.  :D

:D :D :D

thomasdevon

« Reply #4 on: 16:30:09, 17/09/17 »
Hi Neil - This might be a good idea. I actually pulled my back muscles on one side a little bit a few weeks ago when I carelessly pulled my rucksack off the ground and straight onto my shoulder in a hurry. Hurt a little for 24 hours.

Any device would need to be portable and light. Could it be something that utilises walking / trekking poles?

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:08:52, 17/09/17 »
Mrs Ninthace has solved the problem of lifting and fitting a backpack. We have one pack between us and she kindly lets me carry it.  ;)
Solvitur Ambulando

Stube

« Reply #6 on: 10:37:14, 18/09/17 »
I'm in my late sixties and have no problems putting on my 15kg rucksack.
However on those times when I'm feeling lazy or tired, I just make use of the nearest table or wall. ;)

Weight is the key to the usefulness of any such device - a walking pole attachment is probably the best route.

adalard

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:39:36, 18/09/17 »
Mrs Ninthace has solved the problem of lifting and fitting a backpack. We have one pack between us and she kindly lets me carry it.  ;)

;D

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 12:45:46, 18/09/17 »
I think you may be trying to solve a problem that doesn't exist.  I am in my 70's and never have any problem putting my bag on, and have never met any other older walkers who have had difficulty doing so.  If they were so infirm that they had difficulty putting a bag on, they probably wouldn't be walking anyway!

That's what I'm thinking. It's going to be a pretty small subset of people with specific issues like shoulder problems.

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 00:18:10, 19/09/17 »

That's what I'm thinking. It's going to be a pretty small subset of people with specific issues like shoulder problems.

Completely agree.

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 07:50:29, 19/09/17 »
Bloody students! >:(

I am currently brainstorming ideas, and i am in need of feedback for these ideas, and would therefore welcome any feedback on the idea, and also future designs and ideas.

No you're not! I don't see any evidence of one single idea from you.

You're just doing what all students do.........get somebody else to do the work while you go down the pub.

Anyway what's wrong with one of these? You just run along behind and build when required.  ;D

Or better still order one of these online from the pub......I hear they velly cheap and velly good at carrying the bag for you. ;D

Maybe this would be better posted in the Small Rant thread...........I'll get my coat.  :D

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 12:10:27, 19/09/17 »
Sorry, no need of this, its the swing from ground to shoulder that matters.

What I personally would like designed is -

Gaiters that just snap on, secured just under the knee and around the ankle. Messing about with zips, velcro and lace lugs is a chore!

After washing bits of clothing I would like a washing line that snaps onto the back of my rucksack. It needs to fold up, be lightweight and offers an air gap for better drying time between my wet clothing and the fabric of the rucksack.

I also wear a rain skirt, to work better it needs a cleverer way of securing the vertical overlap of the fabric. When I take a large step, say across a boulder or for example when its raining and windy, the 'seal' that keeps the wet out can get broken and it needs a better way of coming together again. Not velcro please, magnets perhaps?

Why do trouser firms not offer a 'slap on' piece of waterproof fabric to fit on the inside of each leg. What I would like is to get to a pub, whip off the muddy patch and walk in with clean trousers. When I resume my hike I just want to 'slap' them on again and clean them when I stop in the evening.

Over to you!

Deolman

« Reply #12 on: 12:53:11, 23/09/17 »
As someone who is getting on a bit and has had a number of health issues I have no problem with putting my rucksack on/off. However back problems are a definite issue with many of us who are getting on a bit and there does seem to be bit of a a gap in the market for a decent size carrier that can be carried around the waist and is big enough for use as a day bag with sufficient room for waterproofs, first aid kit, and food etc.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 15:29:13, 23/09/17 »
As someone who is getting on a bit and has had a number of health issues I have no problem with putting my rucksack on/off. However back problems are a definite issue with many of us who are getting on a bit and there does seem to be bit of a a gap in the market for a decent size carrier that can be carried around the waist and is big enough for use as a day bag with sufficient room for waterproofs, first aid kit, and food etc.

Do what my friend did - get a big dog and fit him with saddle bags!
Solvitur Ambulando

Deolman

« Reply #14 on: 15:31:24, 23/09/17 »
Ha Ha!  I did actually see that when I walked Hadrians Wall some years ago.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy