Author Topic: (TR) The South Downs Way 19th - 26th September 2017  (Read 1485 times)

Cyberhiker

Just returned from completing this superb trail, which we walked it in 8 days staying mostly in pubs along the way. The weather was mostly fine with only a little drizzly rain and some mist towards the end. We had walked it before in the nineties over a number of weekends in a westerly direction but I felt at the time that it would be better walked in the opposite direction, which is what we did. Having now done it in both directions, I feel this is the best way to walk it as the better scenery is at the eastern end and I like the feeling that the sea is getting closer. I have written a trip report on my blog, which is quite long but can be read here, if you are interested.

http://theconstanthiker.blogspot.com.es/2017/10/walking-south-downs-way.html [nofollow]

sussamb

• Veteran Member
Re: (TR) The South Downs Way 19th - 26th September 2017
« Reply #1 on: 11:36:51, 02/10/17 »
Nice TR.  My back door and have walked lots of it but never as a LDW, must do so sometime  O0
Where there's a will ...

Rather be walking

« Reply #2 on: 12:27:32, 02/10/17 »
My back door and have walked lots of it

Great TR.  :)
Almost in my back garden too, but I've walked and camped LDW many times.
Yes agree, the best way is west to east. Although walking west to east is against the grain of the land so to speak. (Steep ascends and gentle de-ascends).
I think we will walk it again next year  :)

John.
« Last Edit: 12:30:38, 02/10/17 by Rather be walking »
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

John Walker

« Reply #3 on: 21:43:14, 02/10/17 »
Really enjoyed the TR. I have done the SDW in the Westerly (wrong) direction (only in weekend chunks) and I think I agree, Winchester to Eastbourne is definitely the correct way to go.  Saving the Seven Sisters till last seems right.  I'm just going to have to do it all over again...

Thank you
JW
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 21:54:18, 02/10/17 »
Great photos and I enjoyed the TR    :)    Thanks for sharing

I often walk stretches of the trail as it's local to me.  There are a few sections I prefer to go westwards but I agree that if doing it as a LDW it's much better to go eastwards.

Cyberhiker

« Reply #5 on: 15:32:56, 03/10/17 »
Thanks to all for your comments, glad you enjoyed my TR. I haven't done any 'thru-hikes' in the south of the country before, as I usually tend to head north but the SDW reminded me that the south has stunning scenery too!

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 09:19:07, 08/10/17 »
I will read this soon. We're thinking that now retired (I am, and he is nearly) we'll have time to get fit again and plan an LDW. This is an obvious one for us as we're in the south and have connections along the route. So hopefully next year. Looking forward to having a good read of your report, thank you.
~
Sue

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:40:58, 08/10/17 »
Really enjoyed reading that and seeing the photos. Definitely one to do next year. My parents were originally from Sussex and we spent all my childhood holidays there, so many of those places are familiar to me.
~
Sue

Cyberhiker

« Reply #8 on: 18:20:15, 08/10/17 »
Glad you enjoyed the TR Sue, it's certainly a good LDW to kick-off with.   O0

White Horse Walker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 13:27:00, 09/10/17 »
Glad you enjoyed the TR Sue, it's certainly a good LDW to kick-off with.   O0

We've walked The Ridgeway in one go (and White Horse Trail over lots of walks) - but a long time ago!  This one is definitely now on the agenda.  :)
~
Sue

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy