Author Topic: Sizing Charts..  (Read 2182 times)

tenmilesplus

Sizing Charts..
« on: 00:07:44, 09/11/17 »
 :(

I just bought a Paramo Alta 2 jacket, I used the sizing chart on the Paramo website and decided on XXL as my chest was maximum size for XL. The jacket has turned up a XXL and it is like a tent !!

Are Paramo generous with sizes ? should I return it for the XL ? Is an Alt2 supposed to be baggy ? Why are size charts so wrong ? GGRRRR, bloody frustrating...
« Last Edit: 00:22:10, 09/11/17 by tenmilesplus »
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Sizing Charts..
« Reply #1 on: 07:11:19, 09/11/17 »
It's always best to try before you buy with all clothing so you know what size fits you in a particular brand.

You are not going to find an Alta II in XL in Fire/Dark Grey at anywhere near the £105 you have just paid as it's end of line stock and been replaced with the Alta III.

The best deal I can find for the Alta III in XL in Fire/Rock Grey is £149.99 plus £4.99 post (Normal RRP £300) https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/product/view/id/1157027

NB You will need to register and join the Sport Pursuit to become a member to be able to view the deal. If you are not already a member please feel free to use my personal invite link to join https://www.sportpursuit.com/join/kinkyboots (gets me £5 credit if and when you make your first purchase)

If possible visit your local Go Outdoors or other local retailer with stock of the Alta III in XL and try before you buy just to be sure it will fit.

MikeW

« Reply #2 on: 09:06:29, 09/11/17 »
Always try on!
When I've tried on Paramo jackets I've also found that the XXL is like a tent.
However I also found that the XL is too small in the shoulders to give enough articulation for scrambling and climbing so had to buy a different make of jacket...

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:46:20, 09/11/17 »
Sizing varies across the board. I put my 38" waist Tog 24 trousers on for a walk yesterday and they felt a snug fit. I'm sure I haven't "spread", my weight is a constant 12st 7lb, while they can't have shrunk as they're 100% synthetic material. By comparison I have a pair of 38" waist Craghopper Kiwis for everyday wear, and I can hold out the waistband of those like the "after" picture in a slimming advert.
It's the same with tops, and the same with shorts too - usually I'm a L but sometimes I need XL. Sizing charts are a quandary for me when they say one size is for 38-41" chest and the next is for 42-44" chest. As I'm on the borderline I always worry which one will fit best.
« Last Edit: 09:55:45, 09/11/17 by fernman »

wobblyknees

« Reply #4 on: 21:33:04, 09/11/17 »
:(

Are Paramo generous with sizes ? should I return it for the XL ? Is an Alt2 supposed to be baggy ? Why are size charts so wrong ? GGRRRR, bloody frustrating...

I have bought Paramo clothing for years  and the one reliable constant I could depend on in the minefield of size guides was Paramo sizing. I bought XXL in everything usually without checking the size guide. Everything fitted.  

Sadly, things have changed. Paramo have introduced an easy fit option which is huge in comparison to their old sizing and probably some other options as well. Last year I bought two Katmai trekking shirts. They were like tents. Only then did I check the size guide and learned about the easy fit option. In fairness to Paramo there was no problem in exchanging for size XL. Paramo even paid the postage on the new items.  

I have a 45½" chest and the xl is slightly loose but that doesn't bother me.  
If you used the sizing chart on the Paramo website, you almost certainly used the new easy fit size chart for the Alta 3 jacket as they no longer sell Alta 2. This is a far more generous fit than the old Alta 2 jacket.

If you bought from a Paramo brand store or some store allied to Paramo, you should have no problem in exchanging.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 21:42:47, 09/11/17 »
Sizing charts are a waste of time (IMO).  Each company seems to size things differently so I agree with others about trying on before you buy (or checking the returns policy).

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 21:53:35, 09/11/17 »
I agree Mel. I have a small sized Alta 2, to me it fits like a medium verging on the large. I once bought a size 7 Keen Targa walking boot, When I put them on it was like wearing size 8 to 9's!

My Marmot walking trousers, 32" waist, I think they are 30"!

nesty

« Reply #7 on: 22:02:08, 09/11/17 »
Paramo jackets always come up big. Also they differ in what cut jacket they are.
I've got a Casanda walking jacket. I order XL and like you was a tent on me. I had to re-order a M size in that. Fitted fine. 
A few months (later still same weight). I got a Helki in M and it was skin tight. So went for a L in the Helki.

Tho Keela are also generous sized. My Munro is a is Med as well.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy