Author Topic: Lake District Place Pronunciations  (Read 1366 times)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: Lake District Place Pronunciations
« Reply #15 on: 20:18:07, 08/12/17 »
The other problem I have is do I sound pretentious if I slip in to Cumbrian pronunciation when I'm clearly not a local.
I know that Skid-ore is Skidder but I would never say it.

I'm wondering if some pronunciations are more local than others?  I might say Scorefell as I've heard it pronounced that way on TV, suggesting it may have a wider currency. But I'd feel self-conscious saying Skidder, as I hadn't heard of that pronunciation till this thread!

sparnel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #16 on: 22:00:33, 08/12/17 »
If you think Lake District names are hard to pronounce, have a go at some of the Scottish hills!
Na Gruagaichean, Beinn Bheithir (vair), Loch Avon (Loch Ann), Garbhein (Garven)...................

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #17 on: 09:40:52, 10/12/17 »
What about Loughrigg fell?  I read/hear (in my head)/say Luffrigg.  However, I've heard it pronnounced Loch-rigg (like you'd say a Scottish loch)  :-\

You are right Mel, Luffrigg is the way to say it, Wainwright says so  :)

I know that Skid-ore is Skidder but I would never say it. In the same way I wouldn't say that April is from nyCAssle.

This is where things get complicated! I'm from Newcastle but I don't use "Nycassle". I say "Knewcassil"
Maybe there are different ways to pronounce things if you're are a local in Cumbria?

I am surprised that people don't know about Skiddaw being pronounced Skidda. I very rarely hear people using Skiddaw it is nearly always Skidda I hear when I'm out and about.

There is a customer at work who insists he lives in Kes-wick, he won't accept "Kessick" as his address and he corrects you when you pronounce it Kessick  :) He is a southerner mind  ;)
"Who would've thought...... you are light and darkness coming through" words by Tim Armstrong

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 16:39:57, 10/12/17 »
In the same way I wouldn't say that April is from nyCAssle.
No shes from alcoholics anonymous   ;D

This is where things get complicated! I'm from Newcastle but I don't use "Nycassle". I say "Knewcassil"
That's because your a posh Geordie  :D
DRIP COFFINS  :D

Rather be walking

« Reply #19 on: 16:59:55, 10/12/17 »
Down on the south coast.
We have Cocking locally pronounced Coeing (like toeing the line).
Also Bosham locally pronounced Bozzum.

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods