Author Topic: Lifesystems light and dry survival bivi, good choice?  (Read 2034 times)

Twiggy2

I keep looking at these to reduce space and weight in my pack, so was wondering what people think of them?

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Lifesystems light and dry survival bivi, good choice?
« Reply #1 on: 10:36:29, 11/12/17 »
I've never tried a survival bivi but I rember some articles and photos were posted. A couple of blokes hiking from Penrith following the old Roman road route towards High Street I think? I tried a tarp and bivi in May, never got on with it at all. If I tried now I could do better with the tarp but I'm still not happy with the Hunka bivy, a good bag yes, but to be useful to me it needs a zip along its length.

Twiggy2

« Reply #2 on: 11:09:05, 11/12/17 »
Thanks for the reply, I am looking for one just to have in my pack for emergencies but figured it would not be any good if it did not keep you dry.
Wanted light and effective.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 12:08:31, 11/12/17 »
I bought the small Alpkit tarp, well made and practical to use.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 13:56:57, 11/12/17 »
Hi Twiggy, I believe they are meant purely for emergencies. No breathability whatsoever. Not very strong material. You may find that by day 3 your sleeping bag is soaking and the bag is punctured/ripped in may places. I once mentioned these to a walking companion of many years army experience and he said that a doubled up wheelie bin liner was probably just as good, with the bonus that they can act as a ruckus liner when walking.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Twiggy2

« Reply #5 on: 16:42:51, 11/12/17 »
Hi Twiggy, I believe they are meant purely for emergencies. No breathability whatsoever. Not very strong material. You may find that by day 3 your sleeping bag is soaking and the bag is punctured/ripped in may places. I once mentioned these to a walking companion of many years army experience and he said that a doubled up wheelie bin liner was probably just as good, with the bonus that they can act as a ruckus liner when walking.
I am only looking to have one in my pack for emergencies but it sounds like I will stick with a body bag from work (a vets)

Lemmy

« Reply #6 on: 17:08:33, 11/12/17 »
Aye, it'll do the deed if you're in the mire.  The downside is that unlike a bothy bag or shelter it's not the sort of thing you can use to stop for lunch in foul weather.

Twiggy2

« Reply #7 on: 20:40:25, 11/12/17 »
Aye, it'll do the deed if you're in the mire.  The downside is that unlike a bothy bag or shelter it's not the sort of thing you can use to stop for lunch in foul weather.

Funds are only allowing one or 2 good purchases at a time so a body bag for now

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 20:48:33, 11/12/17 »
Well it'll save the MRT a bit of work if you pass away.

Twiggy2

« Reply #9 on: 20:59:10, 11/12/17 »
:-D

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 00:37:41, 14/12/17 »
Looks like a reasonable upgrade the classic orange bag. Lighter and probably a bit warmer, albeit more fragile.

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 06:58:02, 14/12/17 »
I have one, it has permanent residence in the bottom of my rucksack alongsde the first aid kit.   Yes it is light, with cover sack a smidgen over 100grams and it is prepacked down to less than half the size of a can of pop.  As for usefulness, I really hope that I never need to find that out ;)
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Twiggy2

« Reply #12 on: 22:00:47, 14/12/17 »
I have one, it has permanent residence in the bottom of my rucksack alongsde the first aid kit.   Yes it is light, with cover sack a smidgen over 100grams and it is prepacked down to less than half the size of a can of pop.  As for usefulness, I really hope that I never need to find that out ;)

That was my plan for it too, it has goné on my Christmas list. Thank-you all for replies

Twiggy2

« Reply #13 on: 22:01:30, 14/12/17 »
Well it'll save the MRT a bit of work if you pass away.

When it's my time I will email happy to go on a mountain or in the hills!

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 08:12:31, 21/12/17 »
Just been having a sort out of my kit and realised my survival bivi isn't the Lifesystems one but a SOL (Survive Outdoors Longer).  http://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com/shelters/survive-outdoors-longer-emergency-bivvy.html
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy