Author Topic: Rucksack advice please?  (Read 2406 times)

Twiggy2

Rucksack advice please?
« on: 08:17:08, 11/12/17 »
I am looking for a rucksack that will array enough kit for 2-3 nights out at a time (2 is more realistic but need to carry some dog food).
I bought a berghaus trailhead 60, space wise it is big enough with everything inside (I am happy to hang stuff from outside when needed) but it is incredibly uncomfortable and really bruises my shoulder area to the point of painful, it's far too bulky and ridiculously heavy.
I am looking to replace it in the new year and am happy with buying used if possible to save costs.
Can any of you recommend a pack that may be more suitable for what I need please?
And also what size packs do you guys use and find big enough?

kinkyboots

• Veteran Member
Re: Rucksack advice please?
« Reply #1 on: 09:07:47, 11/12/17 »
The Osprey Exos 48 or 58 seem to get recommended regularly so probably worth a closer look.

Consider buying a backpack for the dog so it can carry it's own food which should lower the volume of rucksack required and take a little bit of weight off your back.

beefy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 09:19:24, 11/12/17 »
Exos  O0
Great packs
Leave only footprints, take only photographs, kill only time ...

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:30:46, 11/12/17 »
Another vote for Exos  O0

Or if it is the straps that are causing the problem then you can always buy a pair of car seat belt pads and cover the straps with them where they go over your shoulders. About a fiver on Amazon.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Twiggy2

« Reply #4 on: 09:37:50, 11/12/17 »
I will look into exos.
I use rucksacks all the tine (I am not a handbag kinda lady) and have never had this issue that the trailhead gave me, admittedly I was carrying more weight (I need to work on that) the straps are wide and well padded so I really thing the straps just don't sit well for me, it's the first rucksack I have used that is designed for women and maybe that is where I went wrong as I have quite broad shoulders?
Kinkyboots if only the dog could carry her own stuff but for acouple of reasons she can't so I have to, it's a small price to pay for her company though.

April

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 09:50:21, 11/12/17 »
Twiggy, I got the small exos 58 which is actually 55l capacity. I tried the small and medium on in the shop and the small one was the best fit, this may be the best one for you depending on your torso length. It is the most comfortable rucksack I have ever had, it is very light but still very robust. Expensive but worth it.
Hate will never win

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 10:20:07, 11/12/17 »
I have an Exos 48L, its a 'good enough' bag I suppose, it does the job, but for me the best part of it is the carry system. I have three bags and this is the only one that after 4 days or more into a walk it doesn't rub my shoulders raw. As regards the bag bit on the back, I can live with it, but personally I'm not that keen on its overall design, its the right size (48L) but 'living with it' can be a fussy experience. What are those little pockets on the shoulder straps for? The elasticated bit on the back is OK but its not as good as my Golight Jam back pocket. I've always disliked the colours on offer, but as is its on my back I've learned to stop thinking about it. The top bag does the job but I'm sure there are other makes out there that are better designed and fit better. I'm sure there are a lot of good or very good bags out there, but when I tried them on in the shops none gave me that instant feeling that this bag is going to be good to carry, the Exos did so I bought it.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 10:56:36, 11/12/17 »
Mrs Ninthace solved the problem of carrying gear by marrying me.
Solvitur Ambulando

Twiggy2

« Reply #8 on: 11:14:32, 11/12/17 »
Mrs Ninthace solved the problem of carrying gear by marrying me.

Nothing against you at all but for now I am am happier to carry my own pack (although my ex never carried it when we were married, maybe thats where we went wrong?)
Marriage brings far to many other problems..like who drives/cooks/washes up???

buzzard

« Reply #9 on: 18:45:14, 16/12/17 »
Osprey atmos AG 50 or 65
 ltr have both and they are absolutely wonderful packs, comfortable in the extreme and with lots of features. would definitely recommend.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 16:10:04, 17/12/17 »
The simple best bit of advice, is buy the very best quality sack that you can afford.
I know Rucksacks sold today, are not as well made as ones made back in the 1970s and 80s, but i still own two sacks, one a Berghaus and the other an original Karrimor.
They are both over thirty years old, and are still in amazing shape.

Materials used by the original Karrimor company (not the inferior stuff sold under the new Karrimor name) were almost bulletproof, they had to be, as they were the favourites of most high altitude climbers, so they had to use high quality materials.

Just buy the very best quality sack you can justify, and a sack of around 50-65L should be about right, for a multi day trip.

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 19:07:36, 17/12/17 »
I don't believe that is so.  No point in buying the best you can afford if it isn't comfortable or has the pockets/space etc that you require.  That for me would be the priority  O0
Where there's a will ...

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 19:44:34, 17/12/17 »
That's certainly true, i quite agree with you, but if your able to find a sack that sits well on your shoulders, has sufficient capacity and facilities for your needs, then buy it, and if its a bit out of your budget, safe for it.
Years ago, i was in the same predicament, which sack to go for.
I eventually bought a Dart 45 Berghaus, it certainly was not the cheapest option if i can remember, but it certainly felt extremely comfortable on my shoulders, and i really liked the cordura material it was made from.

All this was such a long time ago, i have forgotten when i bought it, certainly over thirty years ago, probably in Brecon.

After well over a dozen or so challenge walks, especially that final ill fated LDWA 100 attempt, the sack is still used to this day, a bit faded, but almost as good as new.

It was a wise purchase, but i can vividly remember it certainly was not the cheaper option in the large number of sacks then available.

gary m

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 21:51:01, 17/12/17 »
Best bag i have had is a deuter  bag, worth a look at their range
you have 1 life live it

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 21:12:59, 20/12/17 »
Best bag i have had is a deuter  bag, worth a look at their range

Another fan of Deuter sacks here  O0
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy