Author Topic: Newbie Gear replacement advice  (Read 2198 times)

RogerA

Newbie Gear replacement advice
« on: 11:06:28, 14/12/17 »
Hello,

I've only recently (start of 2017) returned to walking / hiking after decades of being a couch potato. I've made lots of mistakes getting back into it, jeans in a downpour, heavy raincoat & jumper on a chilly summer morning, kitchen sink weight pack etc. but am slowly learning and getting kitted up. I'm also loving it, entirely hooked as well as being fitter and lighter than I've been since my early 20s.

I've bought kit on the basis of if its cheap then if I make a mistake at least its not an expensive one and fairly happy with what I've got. I am however now wondering what should be my priority for swapping stuff out for better kit - I cant afford top of the range nor would I be able to justify replacing all overnight. I was hoping that if I list what I have I might get some suggestions.

I only do day walks, typically 5-15 miles, being in the midlands most of the time walks are fairly flat, mostly off road, though I do make frequent day trips to Wales, Shropshire & the Peak District so some hill walks.

So what I have now is:

Hi-Tec Altitude boots
Coolmax socks (in a variety of weights)
Craghoppers Kiwi pro-active trousers
Mountain Warehouse over trousers
Sports direct Campri base layers
Regatta 200gsm fleece
Craghoppers Compresslite artificial down jacket
Craghoppers Kiwi long waterproof jacket
Thinsulate beanie hat & gloves
Wenger 'laptop' pack ~20l

Any suggestions?

Roger

happyhiker

• Veteran Member
Re: Newbie Gear replacement advice
« Reply #1 on: 12:36:11, 14/12/17 »
it might seem a strange place to start but I would begin with the gloves. Thinsulate are very good but not waterproof and wet gloves means very cold hands! You could maybe get a waterproof shell mit that you could put on over the Thinsulates.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 13:03:42, 14/12/17 »
If you are happy with how your gear is performing then don't replace any of it until it falls apart.

The rucksack to me looks a bit more designed for commuter rather than hiker but if it is comfy for the weight you carry and distance the distance you walk then stick with it.

runsimonrun

« Reply #3 on: 19:19:32, 15/12/17 »
What's inside your rucksack also counts, don't forget sack liners/dry bags and even a rucksack cover for those ever so common rainy days.

NeilC

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 23:25:41, 15/12/17 »
Looks fine to me. Only change what doesn't work.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 10:11:17, 16/12/17 »
Invest in a Lowe Alpine waterproof peaked cap.
Ive recently returned from a truly memorable first time visit to Cornwall, staying in St Ives.
Last Thursday afternoon, i paid a visit to an incredibly windy, and often wet Land's End.

The heavy rain showers were coming and going at an incredible speed, one moment it was fine and sunny, the next sheeting rain.

It was not especially cold, at around 9C, but blimey was it windy, with the added rain.

My Lowe Alpine hat, performed magnificently, and i spent a superb afternoon, walking to a storm swept Senna Cove.

What a shame Cornwall is such a long way away, it took me over seven hours to get there last week, but it was really worth it, and that Lowe waterproof hat, saved the day.

If you have not got one, i really suggest you put it on your Christmas pressy list,  a magnificent bit of kit.

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:28:58, 16/12/17 »
Nowt wrong with any of that kit RogerA, especially for the type of walking you say you're doing. 

My only suggestion would be the addition of gaiters to your kit - great for protecting your trousers from mud at this time of year.

Apart from that, I'd echo what Ridge said  O0

RogerA

« Reply #7 on: 16:02:27, 19/12/17 »
Thanks guys.

My pack is a commuter pack but all I really carry in it are a spare mid layer option / to put the rain cover in when its dry, along with some water and a snack (torch if dark) so its all I need for now. It does however look very like a school bag rucksack and dosent have a waist support so might look to upgrade this.

I dont get on with gaters - I'd rather just get muddy - perhaps I'll discover the need for them as the winter progresses.

Gloves and hat may well be the way to go. I'll have a look at the bargain thread and see what comes up.

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 17:29:22, 19/12/17 »
I would really recommend that Lowe Alpine water proof peaked Mountain cap.

It retails for around the £30 mark, but is an incredible investment, for those inevitable wet days throughout the year.
The quality of manufacture is magnificent, and as its fleeced lined, its more suited to those cooler autumn and winter months, but i have worn it in terrible conditions during the summer, and it makes walking in heavy rain more tolerable.
It has a well thought out rear velcro adjustment, so will fit all head sizes.

Have a great Christmas, and if any relative is struggling for a potential Christmas pressy, mention the Mountain cap.

I bought my late fathers cousin who lives in Prestatyn , one of these hats, some years ago, so he can walk the dog in all weathers, he still mentions that its one of the best presents he has had for many years.

You may have other ideas regarding headwear, but ive seen Alan Hinkes, Hamish Macinnes, and even Doug Scott, wearing one of these Mountain caps.

I know their sponsored by various companies, but unless the product is decent enough, they would not consider wearing it.

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 17:39:12, 19/12/17 »
If you are happy with how your gear is performing then don't replace any of it until it falls apart.

Good advice.

Don't get hung up on gear - it's addictive.

Skip

Skip

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 17:41:32, 19/12/17 »
What a shame Cornwall is such a long way away...
It's not if you live in the southwest.
Skip

Dyffryn Ardudwy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: 17:46:35, 19/12/17 »
That's certainly true, but i will be booking another visit for the summer, which includes a trip to the Scilly isles and Tesco (or is that Tresco)
Shearing's coaches own the hotel in St Ives, so there will be no parking issues, or wear and tear on my car.

I found Cornwall quite similar in some respects, to Pembroke and Anglesey, and St Ives was a bit like Tenby, but different.

It was an eight hour trip to st Ives, all fast motorway and dual carriageway, but crumbs still a journey and a half from North Wales, but i was glad i visited the area, as it had a lot to offer, even in the depth of winter.

tenmilesplus

« Reply #12 on: 18:53:01, 21/12/17 »
Instead of water proof trousers and gaiters, what about a hikers skirt ?
Gone for a walk, back in a bit..

Annejacko

• Veteran Member
« Reply #13 on: 20:52:47, 21/12/17 »
Some good deals to be had from Cave and Crag at the moment including the Lowe Alpine Mountain Cap for £15 and a selection of gloves as they are having a 50% retirement sale.

https://www.cave-crag.co.uk/outdoor-clothing/hats-headwear/lowe-alpine-mountain-cap

Enjoy every sandwich

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy