Author Topic: Alpkit sleeping bags  (Read 239 times)

jimbob

Alpkit sleeping bags
« on: 12:58:51, 18/12/17 »
Advice needed. I got rid of my ancient sleeping bag in April whne it became unneeded weight when I was walking the Camino Frances.

(It had also lost any pretense to keeping me warm.)

Mrs Jimbob has offered me an Alpkit sleeping bag and I have limited her budget due to the fact that I hardly miss not camping. But there are times when i wish I could just take my tent and bag and wander off for a few days untied to venues and booking in times.

So I have decided on a Mountain Ghost, either 200 or 300. Does anyone have true experience of either of the bags and would it be better to bet the heavier one and just cope with the extra 250 g, or get the lighter one and carry a liner for if it is forecast for colder weather??

Oh and to complicate matters further I am tempted to add a wee bit and go for the Skyehigh 500, truly not a huge weight saving though.

Too little, too late, too bad......

Islandplodder

Re: Alpkit sleeping bags
« Reply #1 on: 13:50:46, 18/12/17 »

I admit I don't carry camping stuff, but I am paranoid about weight.  I would go for the lighter one and the liner every time, especially if the combination is weighs less than the heavier one.  And at least you might be able to leave the liner behind if the weather is set fair.
As I don't backpack, last time I bought a sleeping bag I went reasonably light but didn't obsess about it.  Then I ended up having to carry it a couple of times on an LDP because the only accommodation we could find were bunkhouses that didn't provide bedding, and really regretted not going for something lighter.
But then I am getting old and a wimp.

jimbob

« Reply #2 on: 14:23:08, 18/12/17 »
I am getting old and a wimp

You say that as if it is a bad thing, though I admit old age is a hell of a price to pay for good looks and intelligence ;D .

Your thought process is going along the same lines as mine.  However then I think, would I be happy to carry an extra half pound to be toasty instead of lying there wishing I'd brought a liner???? There is only 14 in it moneywise and 9 ounces difference in weight BUT there is 9 Deg C difference in temp limit. Overthinking this am I??????
Too little, too late, too bad......

NeilC

« Reply #3 on: 20:08:41, 18/12/17 »
Depends when youre likely to use it most. Having a really warm bag in the summer isn't a good thing. I find I can't sleep well. Sure you can open zips and stick legs out by then you get draughts and swing from cold to sweaty.

Likewise trying to prop up a insufficient bag with liners etc in really cold weather isn't always easy. Most liners add vey little. The ones that do tend to be heavy.

I've never found synthetic bags to be as warm as down even with the same ratings and I know Chris Townsend says the same. Synthetic also ages quicker and they lose their warmth Down goes on and on. So I prefer down if affordable.
« Last Edit: 20:12:12, 18/12/17 by NeilC »