Author Topic: Gaiters ( stupid hook! )  (Read 1160 times)

steviefd

Gaiters ( stupid hook! )
« on: 21:03:02, 26/12/17 »
Hello everybody.
Left home without my gaiters so bought some en route. The laces hook moved forward with every step, unhooking themselves. I was bemused as have been wearing gaiters for twenty years this has never happened. I tried about ten different adjustments, but it kept on happening. Im at a loss....help?
Another tip I need is your comments regarding my usual gaiters hook wearing through my laces?
Thanks in advance.

jontea

• Veteran Member
Re: Gaiters ( stupid hook! )
« Reply #1 on: 06:35:07, 27/12/17 »
The only thing I can think of why this might happen is if your strap under the boot is too tight, pulling the gaiters down. Or the elastic at the bottom of the gaiter is too slack?
I’ve never had the problem with ‘Trekmates’ but with others you do get all sizes and styles from £8 to £40.
Sorry I can’t add any more. :)
Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:42:08, 27/12/17 »
Never had gaiter hooks wear out my laces.  If yours are releasing themselves they probably need to be clipped on further forward.
Where there's a will ...

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 09:36:27, 27/12/17 »
I have a Rab pair, never had such a problem. The only issue I've had a few times is the underfoot strap wiggles out of its buckle, a real nuisance if wandering through mud or through cow pads.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:45:07, 27/12/17 »
The hook coming loose sounds a strange problem.

Mine (Mountain Trails??? I can't remember) are strongly elasticated around the lower edge and are pulled down tightly over the boot by the straps under the instep. They are designed so that when they're zipped up the circumference around the lower edge limits the amount they pull down, and this keeps them tight on the boot. So in my case the hook has to be pulled hard to fit it over the second row of laces from the toe (but I've not experienced the hook wearing the laces).

So what can be wrong with the OP's gaiters? He says he's worn ones for about twenty years and he's tried about ten different adjustments, so presumably he knows what he's doing. All I can think is the circumference around the lower edge of the gaiter's he bought is too large for them to be tighly sitting on the boots, or the strap under the instep doesn't hold them down tight enough. Perhaps they are a really poor design, with the hook placed too far forward.

What make and model are they mate?
« Last Edit: 09:48:30, 27/12/17 by fernman »

Bhod

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 18:35:36, 27/12/17 »

Another tip I need is your comments regarding my usual gaiters hook wearing through my laces?

Can't remember which boot company supply their boots with a lace "bar" to hook the gaiters onto, but I'm currently in the process of looking at ways to fabricate them.  Another tip is to undo all the lace and thread it through a short length of drinking straw before relacing the boots.
I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy