Author Topic: Laminated Maps v. Map cases  (Read 5480 times)

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
Re: Laminated Maps v. Map cases
« Reply #30 on: 22:24:04, 29/12/17 »
I bought a few laminated OS maps when they first came out.  A right pain, as many have said above. 

If I have a route planned then I copy and paste the relevant area from Bing maps. Then print and laminate it on an A4 sheet.   In practice most of my solo walks are straight of the cuff.  In which case I throw a paper OSmap in a plastic bag in my ruck sack as a back up.  Then park up and start walking, navigating, if and when needed using the OS maps App and GPS on my S4mini Android phone.  O0

Love OS maps, but the current laminated ones I don't love.

Stube

• Veteran Member
« Reply #31 on: 23:05:25, 29/12/17 »
I've used Harvey Maps, and within their limitation they are fine. However they suffer from two major problems

Extremely limited scope - National trails only for England south and east of the line between Bristol and Hull. Not even the National Parks are covered.

Difficult to read if you are colour blind. Not a problem personally, but friends have commented on this.

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 09:25:43, 30/12/17 »
Difficult to read if you are colour blind. Not a problem personally, but friends have commented on this.

I know next to nothing about colour blindness, and you have me wondering how they differ from OS maps in this respect?

Wurz

• Veteran Member
« Reply #33 on: 10:08:56, 30/12/17 »
I pretty much always use OS laminated maps.  Prior to them I used to laminate my own with large rolls of fablon.

After having my first Dartmoor map disintegrate on me in a downpour when it was out of the case to be refolded I decided map cases were flappy crap that didn't work.

I've tried Harvey's and whilst they are ok and some of the features are better than OS despite allegedly being waterproof they are in practice nowhere near as durable as the OS ones.  In my experience they quickly wear along the folds when wet.  And Sod's law dictates the feature you are trying to discern is right there.

John Walker

« Reply #34 on: 16:30:07, 30/12/17 »
I've used Harvey Maps, and within their limitation they are fine. However they suffer from two major problems.

I am colour blind (just the usual red/green type).  I've always wondered why people rave about Harvey Maps but could never see the appeal.  Maybe Stube has explained my lack of appreciation?  ;)
http://www.greenlives.org.uk/walk.html
National Trails completed: SWCP, Thames, SDW and NDW

Stube

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 17:12:38, 30/12/17 »
In response to the previous posts, I think the problem is that the Harvey maps use subtly different shades of colour (rather than symbols) to distinguish the various types of terrain. By omitting things that you cannot (usually) see on the ground such as county/administration boundaries the maps are uncluttered.

Back to the OP, I use paper maps in a map case - the latter is convenient for keeping a pencil for marking times and photo locations on them as you go.

The problem with most map cases (apart from them flapping about in the wind) is that they're sized for maps and not sheets of A4!

Being (very) old school, in bad weather I miss my old anoraks - their chest pockets were sized for carrying maps - no flapping problems! No ridiculously stiff laminated maps in those days - but you could buy cloth backed ones which put up with a lot of abuse.

I wish OS would print their maps on the same polyethylene plastic that Harvey uses for its newer maps (older ones use a waterproof paper).

« Last Edit: 17:17:45, 30/12/17 by Stube »

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 20:31:05, 30/12/17 »

The problem with most map cases (apart from them flapping about in the wind) is that they're sized for maps and not sheets of A4!

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/ortlieb-document-bag-a4-E9214016.html

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: 20:55:12, 30/12/17 »
 :o  TWELVE QUID?

I use these types of thing .... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grip-Seal-Bags-Small-Clear-Bags-Plastic-Baggy-Self-Seal-Resealable-Zip-Lock-B3-/131898597792

Much cheaper.  Folds up easily to stuff into your pocket.  No need to laminate or waterproof the paper beforehand.

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: 20:57:39, 30/12/17 »
Twelve quid, lasts a lifetime and doesn't end up choking sea life.

dinger

« Reply #39 on: 10:44:49, 31/12/17 »

Only issue with map cases is when I'm orientating my map, I starting using them with string/lead attached to them around my neck and having to mess taking it around my neck otherwise I couldn't rotate it without strangling me  ;D ,
I do use laminated maps but have to remove the folder because of bulk but also the water eventually penetrates on the folds, but still use them.

dinger

« Reply #40 on: 10:48:26, 31/12/17 »
I was toying with printing my own but would need a new printer and ink and paper so I wouldn't benefit really.

Lost_Yeti

« Reply #41 on: 13:56:45, 31/12/17 »
I put in a sachet of silica gel (free with some things you buy or buy them separately) with my map case before sealing up, helps to keep the paper and ink from disintegrating.

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #42 on: 15:40:12, 31/12/17 »
I use something like this: http://www.staples.co.uk/standard-punched-pockets/cbs/297623260.html?promoCode=&Effort_Code=WW&Find_Number=297623260&m=0&isSubscription=False
 - £5.99 for 200. I can use up to 6 sheets of A4 on a day's walk - that is 3 of them as each can hold 2 pages back to back (or 1 double sided print)  - one in the "in use" trouser pocket and the other 2 tucked away in a back pocket.  They last for dozens of walks even though they are repeatedly folded. They can also be used to store maps of past and future walks in a ring binder.
Solvitur Ambulando

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: 16:06:22, 31/12/17 »
They can also be used to store maps of past and future walks in a ring binder.

I'm done with collecting bits of paper. Considering I print my maps from screen captures, I save the jpegs on the computer, and anyway my A4 prints are so crumpled and folded by the time I've finished my walk, they aren't worth saving.

DevonDave

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: 16:27:35, 31/12/17 »
I use something like this: http://www.staples.co.uk/standard-punched-pockets/cbs/297623260.html?promoCode=&Effort_Code=WW&Find_Number=297623260&m=0&isSubscription=False
 - £5.99 for 200. I can use up to 6 sheets of A4 on a day's walk - that is 3 of them as each can hold 2 pages back to back (or 1 double sided print)  - one in the "in use" trouser pocket and the other 2 tucked away in a back pocket.  They last for dozens of walks even though they are repeatedly folded. They can also be used to store maps of past and future walks in a ring binder.
This is exactly what I do too, although if I am using two or three of them I use an Acco fastener to hold them together.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy