Author Topic: Where to find specific fabric?  (Read 1077 times)

comfortablynumb

Where to find specific fabric?
« on: 01:40:59, 30/12/17 »
Hello,

Does anyone please know what material is used to make the Quechua lightweight packable waterproof jackets? We’re getting some waterproof stuff made by a friend and we’d really like to find the same fabric as the Quechua jacket if possible. We looked at the label and all it says is “100% Polyamide”. After looking it up, it seems polyamide is basically the same as nylon (it’s not rip-stop fabric).

Does anyone please know where it can be bought from the roll?

If we can’t get that, then does anyone please know where to get the Regatta isotex fabric (or an equivalent) from the roll?  Or are these fabrics impossible to buy as they are protected by the companies?

We found some stores which sell waterproof fabric, but we’d like the Quechua or Regatta fabrics if at all possible.

Thank you very much to anyone who can help, we appreciate it.

Mel

• Veteran Member
Re: Where to find specific fabric?
« Reply #1 on: 09:59:17, 30/12/17 »
I suspect Quecha and Regatta fabrics will be heavily copyrighted/trademarked.  You could always write to them and ask if they are willing to provide you with enough material for your project.   

I'll hazard a guess that their material will indeed be a polyamide..... coated/treated/impregnated with their top secret, special ingredient to make it the material they use in their clothing.

Not much help, I know.  Sorry. But I doubt very much you will get a brand name material "off the shelf/roll".  

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 10:19:55, 30/12/17 »
When I was looking for a specific fabric for my home made Rain Skirt I Googled in 'fabric suppliers', or something like that anyway. I soon found a couple of firms up north. I contacted them and they were very helpful. I'll look for the firms in my records. If I find them again I'll post it here.

comfortablynumb

« Reply #3 on: 10:28:36, 30/12/17 »
Thanks very much for the help, we appreciate it.

Given that finding a similar fabric seems out of the question, is there anyone who can recommend a store for waterproof fabric?  We've done a google search and found a few places, but are certain shops more recommended than others?

Gunwharfman - thanks very much for the help.  Were either of the firms Pennine Outdoor or Croft Mills?  We found those and they seem to have reasonable websites, so just wondered.  Thanks again!

We just need a simple waterproof fabric, but from looking we're unsure about whether to get 4oz or 2oz.  The fabric used for the very basic packable raincoats is ideal, but we don't know if that's 2 or 4 oz!  Could anyone possibly please advise us on what weight fabric is used for those packable raincoats?

Thanks very much again for any help.

jimbob

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 10:41:37, 30/12/17 »
For walking the lighter the fabric the better it is on your feet. However if you are intending to walk in severe conditions a lot then the heavier materials my be better suited to your personal needs.

I believe that almost any material can be made waterproof. This does  though come at the expense of making it tend to being non breathable. For instance the use of Fabsil is a common waterproofing method.  I use this on my tent. It works. Other stuff probably also works.

The lighter the material the harder it is to sew, seemingly. The type of thread you use is important also . The number of stitches to the inch etcetera.  BUT the one thing first time diy ers forget is seal sealing. This is so important, the whole project could fail for the need of a couple of metres of seam sealing.

As for companies google  tent and waterproof material suppliers.
Too little, too late, too bad......

Kukkudrill

« Reply #5 on: 10:50:58, 30/12/17 »
For what it's worth, polyamide/nylon is not waterproof. In waterproof clothing the nylon outer face is usually bonded to a Gore-tex style waterproof membrane. The nylon is then given a durable water repellency treatment so it doesn't get waterlogged in the rain. There are several proprietary imitations of Gore-tex such as Hyvent (North Face), Aquadry (Craghoppers), Hydroshell (Berghaus) and Isotex (Regatta). So when the label says 100% polyamide it is probably referring to the outer face of the material only.
Make the most of the available light

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 13:01:18, 30/12/17 »
Yes, both Pennine Outdoor and Croft Mills sounds right. All I did was explain my specification via an email. They emailed back with their suggestions and I purchased. The fabric I use is fine for what I want it for. Good luck with it.

Stube

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 17:33:58, 30/12/17 »
You could try extrem textil.

http://extremtextil.de/

A German company but their website can be set to English.

They have a very wide range of materials in various weights and waterproofness.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy