Author Topic: What are your walking plans for 2018?  (Read 20294 times)

AFANASIEW

Re: What are your walking plans for 2018?
« Reply #90 on: 21:59:56, 01/05/18 »
Can't believe it's only a month now until I set off to do 287 miles of the SWCP, from Land's End to Lyme Regis. Done 150 miles worth of training walks in Dorset, with 3 more 20+ milers planned. The most recent one was a 26 miler from Cerne Abbas over the Dorset Downs, taking in part of the Wessex Ridgeway - highly recommended for views. There's an account on my blog if you're interested.
It's simple - one foot in front of the other.

Rather be walking

« Reply #91 on: 12:24:21, 04/05/18 »

We are walking the whole 'Greater Ridgeway' in June is year. https://www.ldwa.org.uk/ldp/members/show_path.php?path_name=Greater+Ridgeway+Trail

Odd it's no longer classified as a Long Distance Path.

Starting in Hunstanton to Lyme Regis, 371 Miles.
Its been 3 years in the planning, luckily we are staying with friends and family so transport isn't a problem and 1 or 2 B&b/pubs.
The guide book (out of print) can brought, but very pricey.
We were going to use paper OS maps but the need 24 of them, so instead using a Garmin Oregon 750t (my sons) with GPX file, maps loaded.

We're all ready to go  O0

Jon.
““The hardest part was coming to terms with the constant dispiriting discovery that there is always more hill.”
― Bill Bryson, A Walk in the Woods

micmac

« Reply #92 on: 09:27:09, 13/05/18 »
I am going to be doing the Yorkshire Wolds Way in July with my daughter and possibly her friend. Keep searching the internet for a suitable stop at north cave but can't find one. Looks like the first day is going to be s long slog for me as I don't normally walk over 15 miles.

bricam2096

• Veteran Member
« Reply #93 on: 10:04:46, 13/05/18 »
I am going to be doing the Yorkshire Wolds Way in July with my daughter and possibly her friend. Keep searching the internet for a suitable stop at north cave but can't find one. Looks like the first day is going to be s long slog for me as I don't normally walk over 15 miles.

Possibly your best bet would be to stop at South Cave for the day and then get a bus from there to suitable accommodation and back the next morning. There's an hourly bus that links Hull and Goole (service 1535/X55) that stops at some villages that may have accommodation.

I'm sure you've probably already seen this page but I'll link it anyway, just incase you haven't and it's useful to you.

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/11234_yww_accommodation_guide_2017.pdf
LDWs done - 32 in total including 16 National Trails and 3 C2C

Wainwrights 176
www.brians-walks.co.uk

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #94 on: 13:30:38, 13/05/18 »
In January I started to think of all the hikes I wanted to do, short, medium and one really long one, but for a variety of reasons my ideas have started to falter. No matter, I've had a rearrangement and last week managed to get one hike in. For the past 3 months my left leg has given me real problems, aching at the top of my thigh, the middle of my thigh and at the back of my knee, not all at the same time, but I've learned to live with it a bit. When I did my hike last week I dosed myself up with Paracetamols and Ibrfrofen, which I have to admit helped a lot.

But it has started me thinking, can I really just go on thinking of just hiking? I want to seriously look into canoeing but not in this year. The other possibility is for me to try cycle camping, which I'm looking at the possibilities of right now. I have 3 bikes in my garage, I'm going to have a look later to see if one of them is suitable or at least can be adapted to tour and carry my stuff. As my wife has just said, "I'll give you something to do". I've been out a few times recently and notice that my leg works perfectly well whilst pedalling, it just hurts when I walk.

I must admit what has spurred me on about this is, when I was in Normandie last week I walked a while on a dedicated smooth tarmaced cycle path which can be picked up at Caen and it goes all the way to La Rochelle. There are other routes all over France and I'm going to have a good read about them this evening.

My motivation is to try to adapt and move forward. I don't want to be sitting around rubbing my leg all summer!

micmac

« Reply #95 on: 16:27:36, 14/05/18 »
Possibly your best bet would be to stop at South Cave for the day and then get a bus from there to suitable accommodation and back the next morning. There's an hourly bus that links Hull and Goole (service 1535/X55) that stops at some villages that may have accommodation.

I'm sure you've probably already seen this page but I'll link it anyway, just incase you haven't and it's useful to you.

https://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/sites/default/files/11234_yww_accommodation_guide_2017.pdf [nofollow]
Thanks, that's useful to know about the buses. I hadn't thought about doing it that way. 
I have seen the website and still keep looking at it to see what other info is on it.

rural roamer

• Veteran Member
« Reply #96 on: 19:08:02, 14/05/18 »
So we’ve done one of the 3 peaks -Snowdon, 2 to go. Fortunately we walked the quieter paths, up Rhyd-ddu and down Snowdon Ranger as in order to get the best weather we had to do it BH Monday  ;D  even though we always said we’d avoid weekends!) Still it was only really busy at the top and on the more popular paths. Had we waiteduntil later in the week we would probably have had no views.

dank86

« Reply #97 on: 09:55:24, 15/05/18 »
Plans this year is to do Offas Dyke and if Incan save enough money Zugspitze in August, if not I may do another UK hike, got 9 days off so we shall see

zuludog

« Reply #98 on: 18:33:06, 15/05/18 »
I was ill for most of 2017, and that has left me quite weak and unfit, but as the weather improved I started doing day walks, and will try a couple of night's backpacking this weekend
I have a couple of things I'd like to try -

My daughter lives in Gloucester and I live in Burnley.
My plan is to visit her then walk back, but probably only as far as southern Peak District as I have done a fair amount of walking around Peak District & southern Pennines already

For a while I have fancied walking what I am calling "The Lancashire Loop" - to follow the boundary of Lancashire, either continually or in sections as I feel like it; but I intend travelling on the entire length of the Blackpool Tram

For both of these, if I find I'm not up to it I can chicken out and use my bus pass for half a day or so; or section walk

Not walking, but related. I have hoarded & acquired a vast assortment of food for hiking - dried & RTE meals that are close to or past their use by date; ancient bars of chocolate biscuits; 17 (or so it seems) half used packets of nuts & raisins; a bag of muesli that I've topped up again and again; you get the idea.
Oh, and umpteen part used gas cartridges
I hope to do enough backpacking to use them all up

harry_keogh

« Reply #99 on: 10:32:34, 16/05/18 »
Well... so far by plans for 2018 have fallen apart due to ongoing car troubles. Its all now hopefully fixed for good and so my aim for the rest of the year is to catch up by doing 2 big walks on every free walking day instead of one.

madame cholet

• Veteran Member
« Reply #100 on: 22:36:36, 21/05/18 »
Just done the Cumbria Way O0
Offas Dyke next year?
Great things are done when women and mountains meet.

The Wondering Wanderer

« Reply #101 on: 22:51:54, 21/05/18 »
Settled on doing the chiltern way.

It'll mostly be done a day here and there in between shifts but if I get the time I'll do longer stretches over a couple of days.
I'm wondering about wandering and wonder where I might wander if I wander while I wonder.

jontea

• Veteran Member
« Reply #102 on: 09:39:45, 01/01/19 »
For me 2018 comes with the biggest challenge to date. Going through one or possibly two major surgeries and coming out the other side.

I’d like to tick off a few more Wainwright’s including Scafell Pike and Blencathra if surgery goes well, but to be honest, just getting back out walking some modest routes in the Peak District is all I’ll try and aim for this year. Anything more will be a bonus. O0

My surgery was in the February and went very well, but recovery would take half the year in reality to get back to full fitness and visit a Wainwright summit.

I did manage some Peak District walks before getting back to the Lake District adding 20 new Wainwright’s to my list now at 129, but didn’t manage Scafell Pike. Although I was at touching distance while on ‘Great End’ but I would save this peak for another day.

Probably my highlight was climbing the North Ridge of Tryfan and Bristly.
Fingers crossed I stay well and plan for 2019  O0

Walking is the world’s oldest exercise and today’s modern medicine.

https://www.johntrowsdaleart.com/

Instagram  jontea62

ninthace

• Veteran Member
« Reply #103 on: 11:50:37, 01/01/19 »
Get back to 800+ miles for the year if possible. Finish off exploring North Dartmoor, start on South Dartmoor and North Cornish SWCP; look at SWCP west of Dawlish and east of Abbotsbury. When the ground dries out explore more sections of the LDPs in Mid Devon. Have also booked 10 days near Innsbruck for June.

Good luck Jontea.
I fell 18 miles short of the 800 mile goal (too many days on the sick) but logged 104 trips and over 110 thousand ft of ascent.  Got the west of Dawlish target but failed on the E of Abbotsbury.  The Alps were great, got out every day bar one.  My gps traces between the moors are slowly making this part of Devon look like a lace doily.
Solvitur Ambulando

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #104 on: 11:57:20, 01/01/19 »
Looks like my 2018 plans were deleted due to online bickering with my cyber-husband  ;D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy