Author Topic: Winter skills course - Lakes or Scotland - advise please  (Read 540 times)

Rascal

Evening folks

First post in a while - HNY and all that :-)

Me and a mate are finally biting the bullet and doing a long overdue winter skills course.
Done a lot of researching and we're about to pull the trigger on a 2 day course at Glenmore Lodge in Aviemore, staying there with food etc. Meant to be very highly regarded. Only thing is it's a faff getting there as we'll be flying from Brum to Inverness which means extra time off work and additional cost - getting to arport, train from Inverness to Aviemore.

It would be so much easier in so many ways to go to the Lakes and do it but of course the chance of snow is a lot less. I've contacted a few Lakes WSC providers - some offer 50% back - some give all back if no snow. One said there's a lot more snow this winter so that's encouraging - still a riskier option than the pricier but safer (in terms of snow) Aviemore option. What would you do?

Also - I partially tore my left Achilles 3.5 years ago and even though I still walk and bike I'm worried I could stress it and therefore increase the chance of a repeat ping...should I be concerned? I'll be seeking the advice of a GP but I guess it'll be my decision ultimately. I'll be gutted if I can't do it but I DEF don't want that to happen again!  :-\

sparnel

• Veteran Member
Re: Winter skills course - Lakes or Scotland - advise please
« Reply #1 on: 20:05:13, 05/01/18 »
Definitely go for the Glenmore Lodge course. The whole environment there is first class; the area, the instructors; the building- you'll never regret doing!  I've done three courses there.
Sparnel

ps. sleeper train stops in Aviemore and the Lodge folk will collect you from the station

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy