Author Topic: switching to gps (viewranger)  (Read 5446 times)

landy87

switching to gps (viewranger)
« on: 22:21:11, 05/01/18 »
i have always printed off maps and used them but now want to switch to  android smartphone gps

it seems that viewranger has the best feedback so had a look at the app

if i buy tiles and download them are they locked to the phone or the account?  i may change phone soon

i have seen gpx files of routes on websites can they be uploaded onto viewranger and the route overlayed onto OS maps or is it restricted to internal routes?

jimbob

• Veteran Member
Re: switching to gps (viewranger)
« Reply #1 on: 22:40:54, 05/01/18 »
Your viewranger as count can be synced over your devices. So you can use your PC to planning your routes, download routes and tiles. Then when you want you can synch to your phone which can then be used offline. How you view your routes is down to how you arrange the settings. The Viewranger  has a really good pdf manual.  Also youtube and google can help you work your way through the software. If stuck there a a large number of users  on this forum who can help you.
I carry a battery backup for my phone but viewranger is not battery hungry if you only have it operating on gps only.

I use an ancient etrex and also tend to have an os map in my bag. But I like viewranger and am thinking that in 2018 I will use it in preference to my etrex which will still come along for the ride.
Too little, too late, too bad......

sussamb

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 07:39:48, 06/01/18 »
if i buy tiles and download them are they locked to the phone or the account?  i may change phone soon

No, they are locked to your account and so can be downloaded to any new phone you get.  I have VR on 2 phones and a tablet.
Where there's a will ...

motorlaunch

« Reply #3 on: 08:23:34, 06/01/18 »
Viewranger allows you to have upto 4 devices on your account. Any tiles or maps you buy can be downloaded to any/all of the 4 devices. I can screenprint sections of the map from my tablet to have a paper copy.

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:00:12, 06/01/18 »
You might also want to consider OS maps.This comes with an annual sub of £20 which is more expensive than Viewranger but has the advantage of being 1.25 for the whole country.This would be very expensive on viewranger.The OS sub allows use on 5 devices and also off line working.A free 7 day trisl is available to see if its for you.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 12:29:02, 06/01/18 »
Some forum members seem to have problems with using the OS system as discussed on this thread

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35778.0;topicseen
These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

geordie33

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:35:00, 06/01/18 »
Some forum members seem to have problems with using the OS system as discussed on this thread

http://www.walkingforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=35778.0;topicseen

Interesting.I have not used it a great deal still prefering my trusty garmin but I tend to download offline maps for the area that I am going to.Very handy when deciding which side of the fence you should be on etc.Wonder if reliability depends on which os you are using.I have recently upgraded to android 7 and its is clear some apps have not been optimised.
I also have used viewranger and it is very dependable in my experience

Glyno

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: 15:36:17, 06/01/18 »
You might also want to consider OS maps.This comes with an annual sub of £20 which is more expensive than Viewranger but has the advantage of being 1.25 for the whole country.This would be very expensive on viewranger.The OS sub allows use on 5 devices and also off line working.A free 7 day trisl is available to see if its for you.

alternatively, if you or someone you know collects Tesco Clubcard points... https://secure.tesco.com/clubcard/boost/os-maps-online/UK-004131.prd

BuzyG

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: 00:18:52, 07/01/18 »
Another OS maps user here.  I buy the paper OS maps that come with a down load.  If you enjoy your paper maps and want the convenience of a GPS map on your phone, then you get two for the price of one.  I find it a really easy to use system.  I plot roots on my PC and transfer them across to my phone or simply record them when I am it doing a recognnoitre for a group walk.

redeye

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 09:50:21, 07/01/18 »
Looks like you get a free subscription withe country walking magazine https://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/countrywalking/february2018

Mick wmexile

« Reply #10 on: 13:23:26, 07/01/18 »
Used to have viewranger installed on my mobile, this proved to be reasonably acceptable for me. Then earlier last year I subscribed to OS package for £20ish and I'm pleased I did, far far better than VRanger, and at that sort of price it falls nicely into (Christmas/Birthday presents), daughters and wife never know what to get me. Glad I spotted this thread, never knew I could use Tesco vouchers, £8 makes it a done deal for the next 12 months at least
I never get lost, just don't always know where I am!

Forkbeard

« Reply #11 on: 13:47:01, 07/01/18 »
i have always printed off maps and used them but now want to switch to  android smartphone gps

it seems that viewranger has the best feedback so had a look at the app

i have seen gpx files of routes on websites can they be uploaded onto viewranger and the route overlayed onto OS maps or is it restricted to internal routes?

I've had viewranger for a while now and find it pretty good. You don't have to buy tiles if you don't want - just download free ones ( portions of the map) for offline use.

And yes, you can download gpx routes and import them into VR as well as create your own (which is fiddly on the phone, but easy on gpsies.com).

Ive been out this morning and taken the Garmin and tbh I missed VR. Although i prefer the Garmin because it's more robust etc, you can't beat having that nice phone screen to look at :)
« Last Edit: 18:28:57, 07/01/18 by Forkbeard »

Cyberhiker

« Reply #12 on: 17:44:17, 07/01/18 »
I stopped using paper maps some time ago and use Viewranger on my phone and 7" tablet, usually carrying both and a powerbank for charging. I purchased the whole UK 1:50,000 Landranger OS mapping for a one-off £70 payment, which is the scale I've always used. I will often also take a guidebook and/or strip-map for recognised trails. I find this much more convenient to use than carrying a library of paper maps on a long multi-day hike. 

landy87

« Reply #13 on: 22:48:50, 07/01/18 »
Used to have viewranger installed on my mobile, this proved to be reasonably acceptable for me. Then earlier last year I subscribed to OS package for £20ish and I'm pleased I did, far far better than VRanger, and at that sort of price it falls nicely into (Christmas/Birthday presents), daughters and wife never know what to get me. Glad I spotted this thread, never knew I could use Tesco vouchers, £8 makes it a done deal for the next 12 months at least

by far far better are you referring to viewrangers standard mapping or is it better even when you dload OS mapping on the viewranger?

Steve922

« Reply #14 on: 01:17:34, 08/01/18 »
One thing you should know about Viewranger is that the free maps are only available online - so if you don't have a phone signal, you don't have a map - the route is still there, but with no map overlaid. The paid-for maps (OS 1:25000, etc) can be downloaded at home and used offline on the hill, so the map is there without a mobile signal.
    I like Viewranger but haven't really used anything else. I paid for the OS 1:25000 map tiles (very cheap and lifetime use on any devices)  wherever I've walked but most of the time, I tend to use one of the free maps (OpenCyleMap is my favourite) since my route is easier to follow without all the clutter on the OS map.

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy