Author Topic: Walking in a group?  (Read 4472 times)

Edgarr

Walking in a group?
« on: 15:54:20, 07/01/18 »
Hello to everyone!  

I am a keen rambler and have been walking the trails in my neck of the woods for the past ten years or so. For a long while now I have pondered what it would be like walking as part of a group. I am a fairly private person however and don’t particularly respond all that well to group environments.  

I am seriously considering joining one of my local walking clubs. I have done my research and would like to take the plunge but before I do, I would love to know… what is it really like being a member of a walking club? Is it arduous, or is it a genuinely worthwhile experience? Will I enjoy it, or will I end up wishing I hadn’t bothered?!  

Huge thanks in advance for any insights on this subject. All responses will be very much appreciated.  

Edgarr

Re: Walking in a group?
« Reply #1 on: 15:57:53, 07/01/18 »
Erm...

Apologies for the "font color" nonsense - I don't think it likes my browser!

???

fernman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: 18:18:11, 07/01/18 »
Erm...
Apologies for the "font color" nonsense - I don't think it likes my browser!

???

That has happened to posts that I have composed elsewhere such as on Notepad, Word, etc., and then copied/pasted them into the Reply form. They look OK until they appear on the forum.

Ridge

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: 18:39:50, 07/01/18 »
Hi and welcome to the forum.

With all the strange things in brackets, the posts just like to do it sometimes as far as I can tell. If you want you can edit your post for a while after posting and take them out.

On the group walking thing, what suits one person another may hate but this may be an instance where you just have to suck it and see. What have you got to loose? If it is not for you then you have wasted a few hours but if you enjoy it then this could be the start of a whole new walking experience.

Edgarr

« Reply #4 on: 21:48:18, 07/01/18 »
Thank you for your response. I guess you are right. I should just give it a go and if its not for me then leave it. Fair enough.
 O0

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: 22:13:46, 07/01/18 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast    :)

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: 16:41:42, 08/01/18 »

Hi Edgarr and welcome.

Erm... Apologies for the "font color" nonsense - I don't think it likes my browser!     ???

Took me a time to figure this one out.
Useful to check out your post in the Preview, the extraneous hidden text often appears there. As Ridge says if comes with copying and pasting, also sometimes when you try to edit your own post with corrections.

Simple to get rid of; highlight all the text and click on the last but one button above the 'post reply' window and the smilies. The one with A > A (remove formatting) that clears out all that extra rubbish out.........well most of the time :D

Bit of a discussion about walking groups here, started by Gunwharfman

BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

RogerA

« Reply #7 on: 09:42:09, 09/01/18 »
Welcome to the forum

As far as groups go I tend not to join, I like the solitude of walking alone, I have tried walked with groups but hard to find the right balance - they're always too fast or too slow or too chatty or too into sneering at each others gear - I've not walked with any organised group I didnt find got on my nerves (probably says more about me than them).

Actually one exception to that - I'd just finished one of my local walks in the Sence Valley near Ibstock and was relaxing with a flask of tea on the tailgate of my car when one after another cars arrived with walkers getting out looking for an Andy who was leading a walk for them - I got chatting and after a while, now half an hour after their agreed start time with 15 or so casual walkers who didnt know the area but obviously knew each other very well and no Andy I agreed to show them one of my routes. I quite enjoyed that but not enough to arrange to meet up with them again, I guess it was down to being made to feel included in their group.

I hope you find whatever is right for you.

Edgarr

« Reply #8 on: 11:41:19, 09/01/18 »

Many thanks for all your responses

barewirewalker: Button found, and will be used in future! Cheers!  O0

RogerA: You've reached the crux of my problem right away; " they're always too fast or too slow or too chatty or too into sneering at each others gear - I've not walked with any organised group I didnt find got on my nerves..."

The last thing I want is to have a beautiful walk ruined by someone who talks incessantly, or says things to annoy or irritate. In my experience, there is always that one person that spoils things for everyone else. I realise my best bet is to just give it a go and see what happens, I just wondered what other group walkers' experiences were like before taking the plunge. If ten out of ten people told me not to bother and to carry on walking alone then I might heed their advice. After all, that would be a lot easier than signing up to a walking club, handing over all my details, potentially paying a joining fee etc only to find out that the experience was not for me! I guess I just wanted to save on the hassle if I could...

Thanks again everyone. I'm still considering my options (but shall continue walking nevertheless)  ;)

RogerA

« Reply #9 on: 12:13:46, 09/01/18 »
Im actually quite interested in seeing how the meets from this forum work - I've not access to the meet board yet being new here, but those who post here seem to be quite a good bunch ...

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:30:05, 09/01/18 »
The last thing I want is to have a beautiful walk ruined by someone who talks incessantly, or says things to annoy or irritate.

I find I can take in the landscape much more when I'm on my own. And you can stop for as long as you like. I don't belong to a walking group because I prefer the freedom of walking alone    :)

Edgarr

« Reply #11 on: 16:41:05, 09/01/18 »
RogerA: I am not aware of this, although I doubt they are in my neck of the woods (East/North Yorkshire).

Dovegirl: I am completely with you! I absolutely love walking on my own (well, not always on my own - usually listen to Jeremy Vine from 12:00 - 2:00)  ;)
I am thinking of hiking a bit further afield and it would be nice to share the driving/petrol etc. I have walked the majority of routes near me countless times and fancy a change of scene - that means distances in the car of 100 miles or more (there and back), which is a very long day out all on your own!
For nearby walks however, solo every time! You can't beat the tranquility  :)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 21:45:38, 09/01/18 »
I've been following this topic with interest.

I have mixed feelings about walking in a group - for the reasons RogerA said.  On the flip side of that though, I walk with 2 groups AND I also walk alone.  Best of both worlds really.  Yes, there are a couple of speed freaks in one group and an incessant chatterbox in the other.  However, I'm not walking with the groups every day.  I don't even walk with them every week.  A few hours of my time in good company, out in the fresh air, I can cope with that simply for the social aspect. 

If I want to enjoy "the walk" for walking's sake, I walk alone.

PS.  Edgarr - the Yorkshire Wolds are mine, all mine... just sayin'  ;)   Oh, and the North Yorks. Moors when the heather is out  :smitten:

Edgarr

« Reply #13 on: 12:46:09, 10/01/18 »

Mel:

the Yorkshire Wolds are mine, all mine...

Can I at least keep the Huggate Circular? I'm not sure I could go on without it! ;)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #14 on: 19:29:46, 10/01/18 »
Hmmm.... I suppose so *sighs*  ;D   So long as I can still eat them big scones in the Ramblers Rest at Millington.  Granted, I've not been there in a while though.  Aye, you can have Huggate... and all the cows in that massive field in Thixendale  :D

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy