Author Topic: Walking in a group?  (Read 4526 times)

aw6334

Re: Walking in a group?
« Reply #15 on: 15:19:01, 11/01/18 »
I'm considering joining a group, but the Ramblers (I assume) are a bit slow - I get that impression from the length of time it takes them to do a walk!  I know I can join other Rambler groups and not just my local, so maybe I need to investigate that more.

I generally walk alone plus  1 walk a week with a friend (we used to meet for coffee, now we walk instead), and I wouldn't mind walking with others, if I could find the right group who walk at the right speed, at the right time, on the right day......I'm not asking much, lol  ;)

Edgarr

« Reply #16 on: 17:10:46, 11/01/18 »
aw6334:

I generally walk alone plus  1 walk a week with a friend...

You are incredibly lucky. I have tried for years to get people I know to come for walks with me - no takers. Sheer laziness!!

It has always baffled me how others don't see the sheer joy of being, if only for a few hours, away from it all. No exhaust fumes, no shops, no loud and unnecessary noises, no PEOPLE; just silence and the all encompassing majesty of being surrounded by what is so often overlooked these days... NATURE! The exhilaration of a meadow or dale from up high. The rolling countryside, laid out as far as the eye can see. FRESH AIR, not the muck we breathe in in towns and cities. And its all FREE!!!

Our chosen hobby should be prescribed by doctors! Forget your sweaty gyms, filled with noise and nonsense! Just grab your boots and a map and GET OUT THERE!!!

Oops. Yes, well, there ya go. No-one I know cares about walking like I do. Boring gits!

aw6334

« Reply #17 on: 18:36:21, 11/01/18 »
aw6334:

You are incredibly lucky. I have tried for years to get people I know to come for walks with me - no takers. Sheer laziness!!

It has always baffled me how others don't see the sheer joy of being, if only for a few hours, away from it all. No exhaust fumes, no shops, no loud and unnecessary noises, no PEOPLE; just silence and the all encompassing majesty of being surrounded by what is so often overlooked these days... NATURE! The exhilaration of a meadow or dale from up high. The rolling countryside, laid out as far as the eye can see. FRESH AIR, not the muck we breathe in in towns and cities. And its all FREE!!!

Our chosen hobby should be prescribed by doctors! Forget your sweaty gyms, filled with noise and nonsense! Just grab your boots and a map and GET OUT THERE!!!

Oops. Yes, well, there ya go. No-one I know cares about walking like I do. Boring gits!

Haha ;D I agree, People these days need to be always "on" always being entertained, they can't just be alone with their thoughts for any length of time.

My, my, Edgarr, we sound like a right pair of old moaning and miserable farts! ;)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: 13:09:06, 13/01/18 »
Johnnyp and Edgarr, is this the guy you saw?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29800016

aw6334

« Reply #19 on: 17:58:33, 13/01/18 »

Don't assume!  If it's any help they allow 2 or 3 "try before you buy" walks with them free of charge to see whether or not it's for you.  In that respect, you've nowt to lose by giving them a go.

Aye, good luck with that.  Speed incompatibility is probably the main reason why so many of us walk alone.  Finding a group that ticks the right boxes for you is like looking for the Holy Grail.  Compromises generally have to be made.

Thanks - re the Ramblers I've been going by the time they say the walk will take - for example if they're doing an easy 6 mile walk starting at 10am, and they include a stop for lunch, I assume they are walking at a less than 2 miles an hour. I'm not sure my legs can work that slow ;D   Nevertheless, I shouldn't judge, I will go along to a few different groups to compare.

I was in a walking group early last year, I think I'm going to start going out with them again to start.

Thanks for the advice Mel!

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #20 on: 18:04:47, 14/01/18 »
Wonder if he has to wear clothes in prison  :-\

aw6334

« Reply #21 on: 07:26:55, 15/01/18 »
aw6334, 2 miles an hour is fast for me  ;D   I did a try before you buy with a local Ramblers group and they certainly weren't slow!  I struggled to keep up, couldn't hold a conversation I was so out of puff and, as for seeing any of our lovely countryside?  It went by in a blur.  Not what this walking hobby's about for me.  As a group, they were lovely people but, needless to say, I've not been back!  Anyway, they managed to catch the earlier bus which was the reason for the ramp up in pace.  I couldn't help wondering what the point of the walk was if all they were doing was rushing to get back  :-\   Horses for courses though.  Just reading through this forum shows how many different reasons for getting out for a walk there is.

I think it's all about finding the right balance. I like to walk at a decent pace, but stop and smell the roses and admire the view as well :) . I don't like the sort of walking when you're all out of breath all the time, I like to be able to hold a conversation - if not, you might just as well by on your own anyway!  I'm going to try a few different groups to see how I feel.

Steve922

« Reply #22 on: 23:36:45, 15/01/18 »
I've never walked in a group but met plenty, especially in the Peak District. The meeting usually takes about 10 minutes and goes like this :-

Feel the peacel....
.....yak   yak   yak  yak yaK yaK yAK yAK YAK YAK YAKK YAKK YAK YAK YAk YAk Yak Yak yak  yak   yak   yak.......
Feel the peace!.....

Edgarr

« Reply #23 on: 16:19:31, 16/01/18 »
Thanks to everyone for all of your responses. I can honestly say I'm split down the middle! The consensus seems to be that group walking can be mildly irritating but potentially rewarding if you can get past the chatter. Also, it depends on the group - there may be huge differences between groups, so it might be an idea to try all of the groups in my area before I come to a decision about officially joining one.

Or maybe I'll just keep walking on my own and relish the peace and quiet  ;)

Mel

• Veteran Member
« Reply #24 on: 17:45:35, 16/01/18 »
Groups can definitely vary widely!  At least if you give them a go you can make a more informed decision whether or not solo is best.

Worcester John

« Reply #25 on: 21:36:19, 24/01/18 »
If you want to try something different, come along to one of  our rambles.  The Disabled Ramblers will open you eyes to what is possible on a mobility scooter.  We are always looking for able-bodied people to walk with us and give the odd bit of help pushing scooters through deep mud!  :)
Disabled Ramblers https://disabledramblers.co.uk/ [nofollow]

aw6334

« Reply #26 on: 15:03:59, 25/01/18 »
If you want to try something different, come along to one of  our rambles.  The Disabled Ramblers will open you eyes to what is possible on a mobility scooter.  We are always looking for able-bodied people to walk with us and give the odd bit of help pushing scooters through deep mud!  :)

Ha, I might take you up on that offer one day, but maybe I'll wait for the mud to dry up first  ;D

Worcester John

« Reply #27 on: 17:18:50, 25/01/18 »
Then you will miss the fun  :)
Disabled Ramblers https://disabledramblers.co.uk/ [nofollow]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy