Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 1649 times)

aw6334

Hello everyone!
« on: 14:18:07, 10/01/18 »
Hello everyone

I  joined the forum due to  my newly discovered enthusiasm for walking. 

I'm not completely new to walking: I started when I was 1, and have continued doing it every day since.... ;D

I've just started on the 1000 mile challenge for 2018, and  I'm enjoying it, even though, due to the rain and mud,  I haven't ventured far.  The challenge is 2.74 miles a day, or 19.18 miles a week, so when the weather gets better (did I mention yet that I'm a fair weather walker?!) I will do longer walks than the 3 mile ones I am doing pounding the pavements at the moment.

I'm looking forward to exploring some local areas as well as some further-flung ones. I'm based in Worcester so I have the Malvern hills on my doorstep, that'a a great start :-)

And I'm looking forward to getting fitter and losing some weight as well :-)

Dovegirl

• Veteran Member
Re: Hello everyone!
« Reply #1 on: 13:02:13, 11/01/18 »
Welcome from the Sussex coast and good luck with your challenge    :)

aw6334

« Reply #2 on: 15:10:31, 11/01/18 »
Thank you, DoveGirl  :)

tom83

« Reply #3 on: 22:50:35, 11/01/18 »
Hello from Lancashire.

I hope you reach your target :)

Jac

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:38:55, 12/01/18 »
Welcome from Devon.
Last Saturday I walked, with my daughter who lives in West Malvern, from North Hill to Holly Bush. A great walk with excelllent lunch stop at the pub nr British Camp. Our usual pub is The Brewers Arms, the Dingle a really good local with fantastic views.
So many paths yet to walk, so little time left

aw6334

« Reply #5 on: 13:52:43, 12/01/18 »
Hello from Lancashire.

I hope you reach your target :)

Thank you. I'm on target, and when the better weather comes I will be increasing my mileage, so as long as injury doesn't strike, I'll do it easily  :)

aw6334

« Reply #6 on: 13:57:37, 12/01/18 »
Welcome from Devon.
Last Saturday I walked, with my daughter who lives in West Malvern, from North Hill to Holly Bush. A great walk with excelllent lunch stop at the pub nr British Camp. Our usual pub is The Brewers Arms, the Dingle a really good local with fantastic views.

I did an end-to-end Malvern Hills walk last year starting from North Hill, very enjoyable and as you said, great views.  This year I have decided to do it again - but walk back to the start!  Something like 22-26 miles I think in total.

RogerA

« Reply #7 on: 14:10:30, 12/01/18 »
Welcome to the forum from North Warwickshire.

Good luck with your 1000 mile challenge and the losing weight / getting fitter.
Having returned to walking in the early part of last year and done just that, lost 1/4 of my body weight and got fitter than I have been in decades I can thoughoughly recommend it.

aw6334

« Reply #8 on: 11:28:37, 13/01/18 »
Welcome to the forum from North Warwickshire.

Good luck with your 1000 mile challenge and the losing weight / getting fitter.
Having returned to walking in the early part of last year and done just that, lost 1/4 of my body weight and got fitter than I have been in decades I can thoughoughly recommend it.

Thanks Roger.  I lost a couple of stones last year, just one more to go. I can't believe how fit I feel and how much energy I have these days, much more than I had a few years ago! 

barewirewalker

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: 12:56:44, 13/01/18 »
Hi AW,
Welcome to the forum, I hope you are successful in your endeavours. Love the Malvern Hills but a little far out for regular visits. I have a particular interest in the sightline from the Malvern Hllls to the Black Mountains. Wondering if you are a photographer as well as a walker as many of us are in our  ::)  various levels of skill. My last visit was pre my discovery of the anomaly, that has caught my imagination, and the photos I have were taken midday in very strong sunlight so do not create much definition in the landscape between. Be interested if you are able to take any photos in that direction if that comes within your interests.
BWW
Their Land is in Our Country.

sunnydale

• Veteran Member
« Reply #10 on: 21:39:50, 14/01/18 »
Hi AW and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)
***Happiness is only a smile away***

aw6334

« Reply #11 on: 12:02:14, 15/01/18 »
Hi AW and welcome from the Peak District O0

Tracey :)

Thanks! I'd love to do some walking in the Peak District one day - the one and only time I went we got to the top of one of the hills and it absolutely tipped it down - we struggled to find a quick way off the hill (this was before maps on smartphones, and we didn't have much of a map - very unprepared!)  - but by the time we were back to the road it stopped walking and the sun came out ;D

I've learned to pay close attention to the weather forecast and be more prepared from that experience!!

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #12 on: 12:10:55, 15/01/18 »
Welcome from Portsmouth

aw6334

« Reply #13 on: 07:17:14, 16/01/18 »
Welcome from Portsmouth

Thank you  :)

Worcester John

« Reply #14 on: 21:22:50, 24/01/18 »

Welcome from Worcester!  I'm lucky enough to be able to see the Malverns from our bedroom window (when the hills aren't covered with cloud.) 

I like to do the three café challenge - Park at North Quarry, up North Hill, down to Sugarloaf Café, West Malvern, up Worcestershire Beacon, down to Café H2O (closed Wednesday) at the Wyche, up Worcestershire Beacon, down to St Ann's Well (newly refurbished but not re-opened yet) up North Hill and back to the car. All the exercise gives me an excuse to indulge in a cake or three  :)
Disabled Ramblers https://disabledramblers.co.uk/ [nofollow]

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy