Author Topic: Personal security whilst hiking.  (Read 6292 times)

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
Re: Personal security whilst hiking.
« Reply #30 on: 15:33:32, 25/01/18 »
I read all of our national papers on line most days, saw this in the Sun today

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5421483/contactless-card-debit-credit-used-after-cancelled/

If its in the Sun it most be true!  Hee Hee!

Doddy

« Reply #31 on: 16:01:39, 26/01/18 »

In March I am walking a stretch of the Camino de Santaigo, Spain. Does anyone have advice on  prepaid card for over there.
I do have cards but still relive trying to use a Tesco credit card in North Carolina,US - ID backed up with a GB driving licence. The bank cashiers scrutiny of the documents was a magic experience; her shouting to the back office ĴAnyone seen one of these before.' Had to use my passport as ID.

lostme1

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: 16:22:48, 30/01/18 »
I asked my bank if I could have contactless debit and credit cards and this is their view

"You're unable to request a non contactless credit card, we don't have this facility"

But gave the following as assurance.
"While I understand your concerns about this, as a security measure, there's a limit of £30 that this facility can be used for. We've also limited the number of times a Contactless payment can be used as the PIN will be asked for randomly.

Although it's technically possible to obtain the card number and expiry date, there are more straightforward methods of getting this information from the front of a card. This data is of little use and neither the PIN nor the 3 digit security number can be gained in this way.

If your card is used without your say so, you don't need to worry as you can register a Visa Dispute for a refund, providing you are an innocent victim of fraud and have not acted negligently."

They can provide a non contactless debit card but
 1. In line with many other banks, as a Customer who opts out, the card you receive will be an 'On-line' card, which is a different type of card with some reduced use.

2.'On-line' cards only work in situations where the merchant contacts the bank for authorisation and therefore will not work in an 'off-line' environment (e.g. on a train or plane, or at unattended petrol pump).

3. In addition, merchants sometimes have problems with their systems and may switch to an off-line operation, in this event, an 'On-line' card wouldn't work."

I think they don't want me to have non contactless cards.

These boots are made for walking.... so long as the rest of my body agrees

pilgrimgp7

« Reply #33 on: 17:10:37, 30/01/18 »

I asked my bank if I could have contactless debit and credit cards and this is their view

"You're unable to request a non contactless credit card, we don't have this facility"

But gave the following as assurance.
"While I understand your concerns about this, as a security measure, there's a limit of £30 that this facility can be used for. We've also limited the number of times a Contactless payment can be used as the PIN will be asked for randomly.

Although it's technically possible to obtain the card number and expiry date, there are more straightforward methods of getting this information from the front of a card. This data is of little use and neither the PIN nor the 3 digit security number can be gained in this way.

If your card is used without your say so, you don't need to worry as you can register a Visa Dispute for a refund, providing you are an innocent victim of fraud and have not acted negligently."

They can provide a non contactless debit card but
 1. In line with many other banks, as a Customer who opts out, the card you receive will be an 'On-line' card, which is a different type of card with some reduced use.

2.'On-line' cards only work in situations where the merchant contacts the bank for authorisation and therefore will not work in an 'off-line' environment (e.g. on a train or plane, or at unattended petrol pump).

3. In addition, merchants sometimes have problems with their systems and may switch to an off-line operation, in this event, an 'On-line' card wouldn't work."

I think they don't want me to have non contactless cards.

BANKS LIE

Very simple answer. You are the customer. The customer is always correct.

Should the provider, licensee, boss, bank, whoever they are be of an opinion they can take the proverbial & you will let them take said proverbial then they will do. Stand up for what you want & if you do not receive what you want from the vendor, then as vendee, remove your custom. I.E. Take your business elsewhere & I wish you all success but from your tone & language you are struggling to get through to them which they know & are quite happy with. Change the staus quo. Change banks.

They are all a load of shysters but if you are interested in the information I was in HSBC the other day on an appointment I had arranged to open a new bank account with a new bank & like yourself I don't want a contact payment card & I stated that & said should a contact pay card be the only option for new customers I shall take my business elsewhere.

'Not a problem at all' said the kind lady, 'thanks very much' i said, to which she replied, 'had you not said anything you would have received one of the new ones which are now standard issue.'

No thanks.

Go to another bank mate, shut your branch you currently use off, move the accounts. If that's too much hassle for you then it isn't that big of an issue.

Hang Shai Bank of China. HSBC. They'll probably keep your money in Beijing but they'll let you have the card that you want.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #34 on: 20:52:28, 30/01/18 »
Lostme1, I'm with the Nationwide, my friend is with Barclays, his mother in law is with Lloyds, my neighbour (who's also taken his card back) is with HSBC, the old lady is, or it could now, WAS with Natwest? All of us have received new non-contactless cards, are you with a different kind of bank, or did you just meet some persuasive spiv at a counter? Yes, banks can lie, just look at the brochure information I posted a few messages back from Barclays. Their information about contactless cards wasn't true. My friend had no difficulty in getting his card changed.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: 12:59:53, 06/02/18 »
I learned today as to how the the misused contactless card saga ended for an old lady in a residential home.

Her card was taken by an Agency Care Worker. He has now been arrested and charged.

The old lady's niece went to NatWest on her behalf and the bank really tried it on to avoid taking any resposibility for her loss. The niece persevered, had to get stroppy with them but achieved a full refund. Her 'leverage' which won the day was to forcefully remind the Natwest that loads of swipe card transactions had failed, but the bank didn't notice, or perhaps couldn't be bothered?

As the niece said to me this morning, if an old person, or any other vulnerable person does not have anyone who can advocate for them, they are just sitting targets for criminal fraudsters, or for 'respectable' shoddy organisations, like banks. Why should they care if an old lady has been ripped off, to them she's just another sucker!

I was in the pub on Saturday, I now know of 11 people who have taken their contactless cards back for ordinary ones.

gunwharfman

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: 17:57:05, 19/02/18 »
Two or three intersting articles about cards and money in the Guardian today, Sweden evidently uses cards most. On a day to day basis I've not found using cards a problem, also sufficient hole in the walls are a available, as I've experienced it, both here and in France. The one place when I am home I will NEVER take a card is when I go to the pub! Our barmaid tells us that with a card so many people just overspend, a round here, a round there, drink loosens their good judgement and some just go over the top. So much so it seems that on a Saturday or Sunday morning she often gets calls from both men and women, esecially those up to about 30yrs asking her to check if they really did spend that! She most often checks and then says YES you did!

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2018/feb/19/peak-cash-over-uk-rise-of-debit-cards-unbanked-contactless-payments

Terms of Use     Privacy Policy